PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make Firefox faster on Ubuntu persistent live-USB?

envis
December 24th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Due to admin rights problems at work :P I ended up deciding to run from my own USB key on the work computer. Its awesome that I can run my own Ubuntu desktop that remembers all my settings and programs installed ect and carry it on a USB stick and boot it on any computer. But I was finding the browser firefox kept jamming all the time on the 2nd day (first day it was less bad for some reason) and I found a great way to speed Firefox at this link https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox_Ramdisk

Basically they suggest 3 ways, I did the easy one:

Method 1: Use RAM-only cache

Firefox can be configured to use only RAM as cache storage. Configuration files, bookmarks, extensions etc. will be written to harddisk/SSD as usual. For this

open about:config in the address bar
set browser.cache.disk.enable to "false" (double click the line)
set browser.cache.memory.enable to "true" (double click the line)
set browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size to the ammount of KB you'd like to spare, to -1 for automatic cache size selection

Main disadvantages of this method are that your tabs won't survive a browser crash, and that you need to configure the settings each user individually. On the other hand on a personal system it probably is the easiest method to implement.

It makes a huge difference so I decided to share this trick :D Also wondering if anyone else has tricks to make persistent live-USB Ubuntu faster?

vasa1
December 24th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Trivial point but an ad blocker does wonders as well. Adblock Plus for Firefox has an advanced option that is really powerful and I find it very useful for sites I visit often.

And then there as some CSS tricks that may make for a plainer but "lighter" experience:

* {
-webkit-box-shadow: none !important;
-webkit-gradient: none !important;
-webkit-linear-gradient: none !important;
text-shadow: none !important;
-webkit-border-radius: 0 !important;
}

Of course, webkit may need to be replaced by moz depending on the browser.

Rebelli0us
December 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Use SDHC UHS flash drive, and if possible boot form USB 3.0 port with USB3+UHS-compatible card reader. That way Linux will run just like from hard-disk.