PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can application Icons (shortcuts) be added to desktop

wpshooter
December 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
In the latest version of Ubuntu 12.10, can icons (shortcuts) to applications be added to the desktop (and I mean the desktop, not that strange looking listing on the left side of the display) so that you don't have to use that DASH thing every time you want to open an application ?

I when I say can this be done, I don't mean by having to spend half a day by writing scripts to accomplish this. I mean can I add a program icon to the desktop by right clicking on a program application icon and then click on a choice that says "ADD TO DESKTOP", as was possible in older versions of Ubuntu ?

Also, I am not interested in changing from whatever the default desktop interface is in Ubuntu (if that is still Unity) to some other interface to accomplish this. If I can't do this in the default interface, then I will just use a different version of Linux.

Thanks.

Petro Dawg
December 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
I still use 12.04; is there no longer the option to "Make Link" when right clicking on the target file in 12.10?

Also, can you still go to /usr/share/applications, right click on the app you want, and select copy to/desktop?

stinkeye
December 24th, 2012, 01:35 AM
In Quantal I can drag applications and files to the desktop from the dash.
Not sure, but I think you may need to install gnome-panel for this functionality.

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
This will create the gnome classic and gnome classic(no effects) sessions
at the greeter but you still just boot into the Ubuntu session.