PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.10 gnome 3 shell title bar

Jitarth
December 23rd, 2012, 02:13 AM
Hi there,
i recently installed the gnome 3 shell on my ubuntu 12.10 installation. I wonder why this isnt the default shell? well nvm about that is there any method to disable the title bar of applications when they are maximized? like in unity?

http://i46.tinypic.com/2h5jxc4.jpg

Its not a big deal but it sort of eats the screen space :(

Any help would be appreciated :)

Jitarth
December 23rd, 2012, 02:52 AM
Is there any method of having the unity title bar with the buttons to the left like they were all these years?

grahammechanical
December 23rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Excuse me but I am getting confused. You say that Gnome 3 shell should be the default User Interface, then you want it to work like Unity that is the actual default User Interface.

Gnome 3 shell is developed by the Gnome organisation. Unity is developed by the Ubuntu community. These two groups have two different visions of how the desktop should look.

An attempt was made early on to get many features of Unity as extensions to Gnome shell but the people running Gnome organisation rejected the proposal. That is why we do not have Gnome 3 shell as the default UI with Unity as an alternative.

Regards.

Frogs Hair
December 23rd, 2012, 04:56 PM
There was/is an auto hide top panel extension for the Gnome Shell which will add some user space but nothing like the unity feature as far as I know. https://extensions.gnome.org/

Open and Sourced
December 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
I know there happens to be a patch for that. You could also switch to Ubuntu 3D view. happens to be my favorite and most used view.

But don't worry, GNOME likes to eat up space.

Jitarth
December 24th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Excuse me but I am getting confused. You say that Gnome 3 shell should be the default User Interface, then you want it to work like Unity that is the actual default User Interface.

Gnome 3 shell is developed by the Gnome organisation. Unity is developed by the Ubuntu community. These two groups have two different visions of how the desktop should look.

An attempt was made early on to get many features of Unity as extensions to Gnome shell but the people running Gnome organisation rejected the proposal. That is why we do not have Gnome 3 shell as the default UI with Unity as an alternative.

Regards.

I just want the way the title bar disappears in the unity engine, nothing else. Right now its eating space, which i do not want it to. Though the rest of gnome impresses me and that is why i chose it before unity. I just wish to know if it is possible for the title bar to be like that of unity, just the title bar..

Jitarth
December 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
There was/is an auto hide top panel extension for the Gnome Shell which will add some user space but nothing like the unity feature as far as I know. https://extensions.gnome.org/

I found an extension. thank you for the link :)
Will let you know if it worked :)

Edit: How do i download from the site? there is a switch, which when i turn on shows me a message whether i want to download it or not but it does not download it.. :( And yes i clicked on download..

I know there happens to be a patch for that. You could also switch to Ubuntu 3D view. happens to be my favorite and most used view.

But don't worry, GNOME likes to eat up space.

Umm I prefer gnome3 shell. I did not like the ubuntu 3D desktop :(

Frogs Hair
December 24th, 2012, 07:43 PM
1. install the Gnome Tweak Tool
2. Select the page of extension you want to use.
3. You will see an on-off switch on the top left of the web page as in the screen shot.
4. select on
5. You will be asked if you want to install the extension.

By using the installed extensions option on the page you can view your installed extensions and weather they are enabled

Jitarth
December 25th, 2012, 06:28 AM
1. install the Gnome Tweak Tool
2. Select the page of extension you want to use.
3. You will see an on-off switch on the top left of the web page as in the screen shot.
4. select on
5. You will be asked if you want to install the extension.

By using the installed extensions option on the page you can view your installed extensions and weather they are enabled

1. i have the gnome tweak tool installed. i guess it is installed by itself with gnome package. i opened synaptic and the package was installed..

2. i searched for the extension. i found it. but it was grey colored. the rest of them were black in color. i dont know if anything depends on it. but i can get to the extension page when i click on it.

3. i click on the switch it turns on.

5. it asks me whether i want to install the plugin . i click on install yet nothing happens. there is no report nothing. i click on installed plugins yet there is nothing over there too.

is there a method to do this manually? copy paste the files somewhere?

Frogs Hair
December 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
The extension may not be compatible with your current version of Gnome. I will try to install the extension on 12.10 and see what happens.

Edit: That extension doesn't work with Gnome 3.6 on 12.10. The extension has either been updated for 3.7 or not maintained . It depends on what version of Gnome the developer is using. Extensions are not official packages.The installed extensions page is working though.

Jitarth
December 25th, 2012, 10:15 PM
The extension may not be compatible with your current version of Gnome. I will try to install the extension on 12.10 and see what happens.

Edit: That extension doesn't work with Gnome 3.6 on 12.10. The extension has either been updated for 3.7 or not maintained . It depends on what version of Gnome the developer is using. Extensions are not official packages.The installed extensions page is working though.

Hmm ok guess i will have to live with it untill something comes out. any way thanks. :)