PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting function key macros for xterms?

dkoleary
December 22nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Hi;

On all previous versions of linux, I've always used a ~/.Xdefaults file to set macros for function keys:

$ cat ~/.Xdefaults
*ttyModes: erase
*VT100.Translations: #override \
<Key>F4:string("ssh -l root localhost\n")\n\
<Key>F7:string("/bin/ksh -o vi\n")\n\
<Key>F8:string(". ./mcd\n")\n\
<Key>F9:string("exit\n")\n\

The last time, when I switched to ubuntu, I read a bunch of posts about how deprecated the .Xdefaults file is; but, after some poking around, I managed to make it work.

Now that I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10, I can't get it to read the file at all anymore. Yet, I'm unwilling to do without my keyboard short cuts. They come in really handy for me.

I tried setting them up via the system settings tab w/no joy. I also found and installed xbindkeys thinking that would solve my problem. While it does solve the problem of me having to hunt down the xterm app every time I want to run it, xbindkeys wants to run new x-based commands, not issue commands in an already existent xterm.

Does anyone know how I can go about setting function key shortcuts - or any other way of being able to issue commands like the ones listed above in an xterm?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Doug O'Leary

dkoleary
December 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
Hey;

Interesting data point: I can get *a* function key working via:

xterm -class XTerm -xrm \
"XTerm*vt100.translations: #override \n\
<Key>F4:string(\"exit\n\")\n"

That kicks off an xterm and executes the 'exit' command if I press F4. If I change it to F9, the function doesn't work anymore. I suspect this is all tied in together; but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how...

Thanks.

Doug O'Leary

dkoleary
December 23rd, 2012, 12:00 AM
Hey;

I got it solved. I forgot that I had to run "xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults". The issue with the F9 key was me playing around with xbindkeys. One issue remains; but, that'll be the subject of another post.

Thanks.

Doug O'Leary

itcotbtoemik
December 23rd, 2012, 12:10 AM
I avoid using xrdb (it's too blunt an instrument to be useful). Instead, I set XAPPLRESDIR to my own app-defaults directory, and customize things there. :)