PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannon pixma mx432 scanner help

C9ILL
December 20th, 2012, 04:39 AM
kinda new to ubuntu been using it for a year. Running 11.10 In the past i've been able to solve my issues by searching the internet. But now I'm trying to install cannon pixma mx432 printer scanner. I got the printer working but I'm having a hard time with the scanner i get this message when i have sane find scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x175b [MX430 series]) at libusb:001:007
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

any help or if some on can point in a direction i got the .deb driver from cannon asia

pdc
December 21st, 2012, 08:42 AM
so you downloaded MX430 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.90 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)

it comes in as scangearmp-mx430series-1.90-1-deb.tar.gz

.......the goal is to install Canon's programme called ScanGearMP

can I suggest some commands?

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf scangearmp-mx430series-1.90-1-deb.tar.gz

cd scangearmp-mx430series-1.90-1-deb

./install.sh

..........the install script should install the correct package for you

.....to run it...........

scangearmp in a terminal will open the programme

......so you are using a Canon programme to run your scanner .....

you may well find a launcher automates this process

.......... I think .........

http://handytutorial.com/install-qle-unity-launcher-quicklist-editor-in-ubuntu-12-04-12-10/

this will do what you need .......

(I use gnome 2 and it creates launchers more easily......)

Chasehead
April 17th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Also remember that it the "scangearmp" executable will not show up in the Unity dash by default so you must run it from the command line as "scangearmp" or double click the icon from within the /usr/bin/ directory. I find it helps to just copy it to the desktop or somewhere else that's easy to remember. There are ways to add it the dash properly but that's way too much effort for people like me.

Here's where I found the rest of the information needed to solve this puzzle:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=121215

prj44
December 8th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Thanks to those who have tried to make this work properly. But I am having the most frustrating of Noob experiences. The sw installs, just fine. Thanks for the commands. The preview scan works just fine. But when I try to do a scan, I enter the filename "testscan" but the sw then refuses to scan until I enter filename; it won't accept my keystrokes! It won't allow me to select a folder as a destination! <Gnash!>

I haven't yet tried to find a way to put it on the desktop. I just want a scan!

Thanks in advance.

Resistent
December 8th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Thanks to those who have tried to make this work properly. But I am having the most frustrating of Noob experiences. The sw installs, just fine. Thanks for the commands. The preview scan works just fine. But when I try to do a scan, I enter the filename "testscan" but the sw then refuses to scan until I enter filename; it won't accept my keystrokes! It won't allow me to select a folder as a destination! <Gnash!>

I haven't yet tried to find a way to put it on the desktop. I just want a scan!

Thanks in advance.

That's not scangearmp's fault. I could always use my keyboard in the program. Does is happen always ?
And in other programs ?

prj44
December 8th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks. Keyboard works just fine everywhere else. It works when I enter a filename; the text appears when I type.. But there are no folders evident and no way to select a folder to save the output. When I press Save, the msg is "No filename." I'm bewildered.