PDA

View Full Version : Begginers Dilema

Note360
July 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I am thinking of switching to Python. I started to learn Perl (I am starting to understand it), but Perl while it can do everything can't do GUI where as Python can do GUI and in OS X as well as GTK. What do you guys think?

LordHunter317
July 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM
PERL is certainly capable of GUIs.

Note360
July 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM
It is? I can't find it any where. May I please have some links?

johnnymac
July 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM
You can check out Perl/TK - go look at ZooZ.pl (you can find it on www.cpan.org) it's a WYSIWIG Perl/TK tool.

Note360
July 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks. So how is python any way?

Note360
July 5th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I tried to isntall perl/tk but I cant. Nothing seems to work.

Engnome
July 6th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Perl/tk? never used but I've made a couple of perl (not PERL as perl is not an acronym) programs with GTK and it's very easy (especially with glade) Here's a guide for you http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/gtk2-perl-tut/index.html :KS

Note360
July 6th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks, that may help.

Max Luebbe
July 6th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Python rules.
Extremely easy to pick up, very powerful, and the language architecture is beautiful.

I like it much better than perl.

A lot of people are saying that Python is the preferred language for writing applications for Ubuntu as well.

My vote is to give python a try if perl is frustrating you.

(Not a perl bash! Perl is also useful and is the glue that holds the internet together!)

Note360
July 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Perl doesnt fustrate me, but their are a whole lot of oddities (a.k.a "features") that seem to make it aggrivating at times. You can do it this way but you may see it this way, dont do it this way, this way over their is cool, but no one uses it, this way is the best, but no one uses it, ect.

DirtDawg
July 7th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I know Python fairly well and tried to learn Perl awhile ago because I thought it would be a good idea. There are odd things about it I found sort of annoying.

For example, a Perl programmer needs to identify a 'scalar'(I think that's right) with a '@' symbol. Having only really studied Python, I fail to see the reason for declarations. I assume it has something to do with execution speed but, to my inexperienced eye, it just seemed like more work.

thumper
July 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I like python. I was a hard-core C++ programmer until about five years ago when I realised I was really limiting my prospects, so I branched out and learnt perl, Java and python.

Python is the only one I am still using a lot. It appeals to a certain type of person. Some people prefer perl and some prefer ruby. I'd suggest having a go at python, ruby and perl. Then choose the one that you feel most comfortable with.

Note360
July 7th, 2006, 10:29 PM
scalar is $ (think $calar)
array is @ (think @rray)
hash is %

I find it annoying now not to have those symbols they make everything seem easier to understand.

However, I think I am going to learn some Python it seems like a great language.

DirtDawg
July 8th, 2006, 12:02 AM
scalar is $ (think $calar)
array is @ (think @rray)
hash is %

I find it annoying now not to have those symbols they make everything seem easier to understand.

However, I think I am going to learn some Python it seems like a great language.

That's right. I thought about that too, when I was reading the book. I did notice declarations made everything easier to identify with a quick glance.

tzulberti
July 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM
This is a link for an article of Per+GTK:
http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/expertarticles/wpn-62-20060705PerlCodersGetNewGTKRelease.html

btarlinian
July 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM
(not PERL as perl is not an acronym)

Actually, perl is an acronym Practical Extraction and Reporting Language (but no one usually capitalizes it.);)

Note360
July 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I have seen other acronyms and Larry Wall says they are all correct as he made up the acronym later. Here is one:

P(athologically) E(clectic) R(ubbish) L(ister)