PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Netbeans no longer installed after system updates

kimprince
December 19th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I noticed some large updates go through on my PC this morning. I think they included a kernel update and a Java RE update.

Now, when I try to run netbeans, nothing happens. If I try to run it from a command prompt, it says "The program 'netbeans' is currently not installed.... etc".

Any suggestions? I really want to avoid reinstalling netbeans if I can, for two reasons. Firstly, there is a lot of setup/configuration required to get it working well again. Secondly, my network card is VERY unreliable. (Perhaps that contributed to the issue in the first place? It has the RTL8188CE chipset, which seems to be causing issues for many users).

I am using V 12.04.

Thanks!

Frogs Hair
December 20th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Hello and Welcome

The package system would remove the package only if there were conflicts with official updates. I see that NetBeans IDE is in the software center also. Is this the same package ?

kimprince
December 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks Frogs Hair.

I was running v 7.2.1. The software centre has V 7.0.1. My preference would be to download and install 7.2.1 again, however not if it means that an upgrade might remove it. In that case, would it be safer to run 7.0.1?

Also, it seems odd to me that the upgrade would remove applications without asking first. Is this common? Perhaps I can find a log of it's activity?

Frogs Hair
December 21st, 2012, 02:18 AM
It is suggested to use the version in the software center because it is known to be compatible with your current version of Ubuntu. It may happen again if you download the latest version.