PDA

View Full Version : Need Help?

serdotlinecho
December 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Ubuntu Help should be included as default in Unity launcher, just like what Ubuntu gnome-shell remix did when you open Activities dash overview. It's there, in front of you, just one click away to know about gnome-shell.

Make information about Ubuntu easily accessible for first time Ubuntu user/newbie to find, learn and how to use Ubuntu/Unity desktop when they using live session and after fresh install. I know, you can click on that "gear" system indicator and you can search in unity dash...But you know instead of that "A" and "U" icon stuff, system settings(again, just click on that "gear" icon, right?), bunch of libreoffice software(err, right click quicklists, maybe?) in unity launcher?

Why "hiding" the Ubuntu documentation?
I don't know the answer, maybe this video will "Help Ubuntu"?
http://youtu.be/PgGbZfR6Vec

grahammechanical
December 19th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I agree with you entirely. The help doc icon is in the Dash. It used to be one of the default icons shown when the Dash was opened on a new installation.

Ubuntu 12.04 is very different from Ubuntu 10.04. Many users will be upgrading as 10.04 reaches End of Life. They will not know how to use the desktop even for simple things like finding the help/Ubuntu Desktop Guide.

And we are not allowed on this forum to tell people to read the manual. But they do need to read it before complaining that this is missing or that is missing.

A link to the help documentation should be on the desktop of the live session.

Regards.

deadflowr
December 19th, 2012, 07:03 PM
It's already in the dropdown for the shutdown and whatever else is in that section of the panel.

serdotlinecho
December 19th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I know, you can click on that "gear" system indicator...

I already mentioned it...but it's still "hiding", if you know what i mean ;)
Maybe rename Help to something like "Desktop Guide" and a nice icon like monitor with small Ubuntu logo in the middle?

grahammechanical
December 19th, 2012, 07:15 PM
It's already in the dropdown for the shutdown and whatever else is in that section of the panel.

How long has it been there? Open your eyes Graham! Still I did notice the disappearance of the Dash legal notice and the Shopping lens. Only just noticed it, though.

ventrical
December 19th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Maybe rename Help to something like "Desktop Guide" and a nice icon like monitor with small Ubuntu logo in the middle?

Actually "Yelp" is not installed by default.

Regards..

Edit:
Ok . .yes .. what I did was I right-clicked the ? icon on the raring dash and it then proceeded to set me up to install 'Yelp', however , left clicking that icon brings up the Ubuntu Guide.

Actually 'Yelp' is for the GNOME desktop .. so .. I'm confused as to why it is included in the Unity Dash !?

deadflowr
December 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM

So do you just unplug your system when you turn it off?

What they really need isn't help, but a well crafted tutorial, like what Windows does or did. Something built impress would be nice.

grahammechanical
December 19th, 2012, 08:12 PM

What they really need isn't help, but a well crafted tutorial, like what Windows does or did. Something built impress would be nice.

+1

have it in place of the install slide show with its live tweets about Ubuntu.

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Greetings,
If any of these beginners are having the same problems I had when I was getting started this book may come in handy. http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/ Its the same information that you get in bits and pieces across this forum. Nice to have it all in one place.

philinux
December 19th, 2012, 08:17 PM
+1

have it in place of the install slide show with its live tweets about Ubuntu.

Those tweets are a bit useless.

serdotlinecho
December 20th, 2012, 02:43 AM

Wow! Brilliant, the fastest way to turn off pc. I "always" do this when i get kernel panic...switch off the power...but wait, there's magic sysrq button...but, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Those tweets are a bit useless.

Twitter doesn't help...

jbicha
December 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I agree with you entirely. The help doc icon is in the Dash. It used to be one of the default icons shown when the Dash was opened on a new installation.
Help is one of the default items in the Dash for a new install (or if you've wiped your zeitgeist history).

Actually "Yelp" is not installed by default.

Edit:
Ok . .yes .. what I did was I right-clicked the ? icon on the raring dash and it then proceeded to set me up to install 'Yelp', however , left clicking that icon brings up the Ubuntu Guide.

Actually 'Yelp' is for the GNOME desktop .. so .. I'm confused as to why it is included in the Unity Dash !?

'yelp' is the name of the help browser used by both the GNOME & Ubuntu desktop guides. Since it's also used as the help browser for many of the GNOME apps, it's definitely installed by default.

ventrical
December 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Help is one of the default items in the Dash for a new install (or if you've wiped your zeitgeist history).

'yelp' is the name of the help browser used by both the GNOME & Ubuntu desktop guides. Since it's also used as the help browser for many of the GNOME apps, it's definitely installed by default.

When it goes to SC it displays a pic of GNOME Shell, not Unity Panel so I assumed it was strictly for GNOME shell.

Thanks,

regards..

serdotlinecho
December 21st, 2012, 03:05 AM
Ubuntu Unity:

http://i.imgur.com/moiSt.png

Ubuntu Gnome-Shell:

http://i.imgur.com/dg1jy.png

Ubuntu Gnome-Classic:

http://i.imgur.com/Pxj68.png