PDA

View Full Version : Any vapers out there

Cyber72
December 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I am thinking of getting the Janty MiD and hoping to run it without having to get Windows. Any thoughts? There is a quick look at the software in action at http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Janty-MiD-Series?page=3

To the curious a vaper uses nicotine inhalers instead of cigarettes.

Grenage
December 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I have been using one for quite a few years, and it's fair to say they're better now than they were.

I'd personally shy away from anything with software, it's all gimmicky crap. Just get something solid, with cheaply replaceable parts.

I'll also say that you're far better off quitting completely, if you can (you can!).

Elfy
December 19th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

drawkcab
December 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I've used one for a while and it really helps.

On the other hand, I don't really see why anyone would need software for their e-cig. All you need is a couple of batteries so that you can switch out, cartridges or the like (5 or so to get started), some refill liquid and maybe a case.

PaulInBHC
December 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Wife and I did for a while. She enjoyed the different flavors. I could never get to the point where it was preferred over a real cig. Add to that the hassle of filling carts, charging and switching batteries, it became too much trouble for a working person. She would like to get back into it.

What helped us was having a friend that had already bought and tested most of the brands on the market and recommended good products and companies to deal with.

mattfrog
December 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Been "vaping" (I really do hate that term!) for 2 weeks at a day now, and not one "real" cigarette.

Pretty amazed, as for the last 10 years it would have been tricky to go 2 hours without one :D

I haven't felt like I've given anything up - to the contrary - I just feel like I've made a digital upgrade.

Prepare for mucus invasions, though. :popcorn:

P.S. I've picked myself up a Vision ego 2, which has been brilliant :D

|{urse
December 21st, 2012, 10:49 PM
Heck yea, anything I 'smoke' is vaporized. You shouldnt need ANY software for your device to work. Sounds like some bundled crapware.

Bandit
December 22nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
I was wondering what the heck this topic was about until I read it.

I dont do e-cigs or any cigarettes. Cigarettes just small damn awful. Might as well just light up a dog turd and puff on it. I however used to enjoy hookahs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah) quiet well, rose flavor was one of my favorites, I know its not the same but its similar as there are many flavors. I however live in MS now were anything with questionable use is no allowed. "Glad I am moving in a few weeks!!"

73ckn797
February 17th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Hello.

Vaping for nearly one month and have quit cigarettes.

Started with a My 7's kit but quickly moved to an eGo system which I really like.

Are you on the e-cigarettes forum?

userfriendly1992
February 17th, 2013, 05:15 AM
If you think about it, "e-cigs" are generally used to quit not only smoking, but using nicotine all together. So I wouldn't waste money on an e-cig with "software."

Besides why would you need software for an e-cig? All you do is puff and inhale man. :D

73ckn797
February 17th, 2013, 01:18 PM
If you think about it, "e-cigs" are generally used to quit not only smoking, but using nicotine all together. So I wouldn't waste money on an e-cig with "software."

Besides why would you need software for an e-cig? All you do is puff and inhale man. :D

I agree. I know some of the e-cig mods do have the software thing going on. That in my opinion is gimmicky. Many have made a hobby out of doing mods and collecting the latest and greatest device. Each to his own though.

It really isn't any different from Linux (insert any hobby/toy) users who are wanting the latest and greatest and then do their mods to get better performance.

My computer use has settled into having something that works and lets me accomplish what I need a computer to do. It is the same with e-cigs for me. I am content with what I have.

73ckn797
February 23rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
Anyone here on ECF?

Grenage
February 25th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Long, long, long ago. :)

maryjo
March 1st, 2013, 01:11 AM
I'm a ECF member but hardly active anymore. I am back to vaping since I had a "relapse" a few months ago but I'd been totally off ciggies for a year or so and off the e-cigs for about 6 mos. I don't see how software is any advantage. Get a setup you like, use it and if possible, gradually wean yourself off nic. Although you may be happy vaping for the rest of your life, some are. I'd prefer to break the dependency altogether.

73ckn797
March 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
I have been pretty busy on ECF for a month but already find my activity lessening. Like these forums I know where to go to get answers but do not use for social media very much.

jsabina1
March 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I quit smoking 4 months ago and I am with electronic cigarette!!
For me a miracle as it was loooong time I wanted to quit.
Tried ecig years ago and I didn't like.
At my third attempt now it seems to work!
I am registered to ecf but posting more on an italian and irish forum

73ckn797
March 17th, 2013, 01:47 AM
I quit smoking 4 months ago and I am with electronic cigarette!!
For me a miracle as it was loooong time I wanted to quit.
Tried ecig years ago and I didn't like.
At my third attempt now it seems to work!
I am registered to ecf but posting more on an italian and irish forum

How's it going with the vaping?

Ace.....
March 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Me too, but I've gone for the microlite and Portable Charging Case, plus a good quantity of the base liquids for mixing.

Yes, I can also confirm that vaping does get you off cigs.
The microlites are an almost perfect replica of a cig, and the hit definitely kills the need.

The key is being organised.

I leave one cartomizer slot empty, swap in the empty carts to the left, so I know which are empty.
Then refill them using the rubber cap, taking about a minute to do 5 carts.

However, I can see why people go for the tank system, where you fill up the reservoir.

The cartomizer sponge system does mean that as the sponge empties (fairly quickly) the liquid wicking to the heating element reduces.
But it's fine for the moment.

Like the other poster.... I can't get my head around a programmable heating element.

:P

mamamia88
March 18th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Isn't quitting cigarettes by using electronic cigarettes kind of not quitting since you are still using the addictive substance just in a much safer method? I'm not going to blame anyone who does it though since nicotine without the smoke is probably as harmless as a cup of coffee.

Ace.....
March 19th, 2013, 12:32 AM
But surely, That's the point.
Quitting cigs is quitting cigs - burning tobacco and inhaling the smoke.... which apparently contains a few thousand different toxic compounds; not to mention the tar build up in the lungs.
Kind of crazy when talked about in this light, but a reality all the same.

It may be especially useful to any home programmer that has got used to nicotine fuelled creativity.
Vaping, in that scenario can be potentially a life saver.

Don't knock it, cos it works better than I ever thought it would.

As to maintaining a vice.
Well, as humans we've got loads.
At least this one is very cheap (if you buy the base liquids in bulk), and, until we are informed otherwise (just a matter of time ;) ) this one is relatively harmless.

I honestly believe it is a big win.

drawkcab
March 19th, 2013, 07:08 AM
I've been thinking about upgrading to a tank/mod system for regular use. I really don't care what the thing looks like so long as I can get a nic hit when I need it. I'm kind of tired of the batteries of the cig-like systems dying on me as well as goofing around with the cartos.

Grenage
March 19th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Most users will probably move on to more practical/economical systems after a while. Pre-filled carts and tiny batteries are a bit of a chore, and quite expensive. I use one of those odyssey units from totally wicked, as it's solid and has a massive capacity. They've also nailed the consistency by using a cartomiser and tank; I avoid cartomisers on their own. I mix my own liquid using PG, Glycerine, and nicotine - but no flavourings, and it's very cheap.

Regarding the comment about vaping not being smoking cessation - you're right, it isn't. You cut out the carcinogenic smoke (assuming the heating coils and burnt padding are ok), but there's no guarantee it won't cause other complications down the road. Patches/gum/mints are better at helping cut it out completely, which is always recommended. It's just a good alternative for those who can't, or don't want to quit.

Ace.....
March 19th, 2013, 05:07 PM
odyssey.
That's interesting.
They certainly bang on about the quality.

How come a cartomizer and tank?
Does the tank constantly keep the cart topped up?
How's the battery?
What is the big deal about the end cap..... is it just to keep dust out?

Grenage
March 20th, 2013, 09:53 AM
It's not particularly cheap, but it's well built. A downside might be the fact that it's smooth steel; heavy and smooth enough to slip through your hands. Not a problem for me, but I imagine it would be for smaller folk. The tank basically slowly feeds the cartomiser, so you don't get the flooded atomiser problem. The end cap is probably the filling attachment, which you don't need to use when filling, it just makes it more fool-proof. The cartomisers are cheap, too; there was an offer, and they worked out at 70p each.

The battery life is the weak point, in my opinion (I'm used to much bigger, uglier units) - but at least they are cheap batteries. I'd rather they'd made it bigger, and opted for batteries with twice the capacity. I suppose there's no reason they can't sell expanded chambers later on, but I have no idea if they will. If you can hack vaping from something that weighs 135g, and you're in it for the long haul, it's worth a go.

Ace.....
March 22nd, 2013, 02:52 PM
Just ordered The Bolt from ecigwizard.

http://www.ecigwizard.com/the-bolt-mod/the-bolt-body-only.html

It's effectively a battery case with a button switch and a 510 connector.

I ummed & ahhed re a lavatube, or Tornado tank but figured the simplicity of the bolt was the way to go.
The variable voltage kit is clearly interesting, but I can just imagine the electronics failing.
The worst that can happen with the bolt is a bit of soldering.

The tank is the re-buildable Vivi Nova kit 2.5, with 2 spare atomizer heads
2 x IMR 1100mah 18500 batteries
1mm & 2mm wick
0.16mm Nichrome resistance wire
Trustfire charger

£67 in total....... ouch!...... but not too bad considering £30 was for the batteries and charger.

I hope they ship today, so it can travel to Frog over the weekend.
:cool:

Grenage
March 22nd, 2013, 03:28 PM
That should be fine; that's all most of the mods are, anyhow - fancy branding the same old kit, with minor changes. Variable voltage is good, although I only ever used it to compensate for an ageing atomiser. :)

Good luck!

Ace.....
March 22nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
Yes, I saw a vid stating the VV kit could extract max performance out of the last 25% of the battery.

I saw somebody saying that these batteries don't have memory.
Hmmmm.... that will be good for this setup, cos it means I could swap them and re-charge, starting from last 25%.

How have you found these batteries cos I think you use the 18500 in the odessey no?

I read they could take 500 re-charges.
Sounds good but presumably optimistic.

Grenage
March 22nd, 2013, 06:11 PM
Yeah, batteries don't really last that long. :)

On average, if I'm only swapping out two batteries, I'll expect to get a month or two out of them. They still work, they just aren't anywhere near as good! It really depends how much you use the things - I'm a relatively heavy user.

Ace.....
March 23rd, 2013, 01:36 AM
Yes...... I don't know how they calculate cycles.
I went on a couple of decent battery sites, and they all quote 500 cycles.

However; when you read the tech details.... the IMR batteries don't chemically respond well to high drain conditions.
They may be able to deliver reasonable ampage (and the ads call them high drain), but they don't like it.

I think that they're pushed to the vaping market, cos they are relatively safe, and coincidentally, require replacing fairly often.

A lot of people are saying you can fit an 18650 into the bolt.
Another £1.50 gets you from 1100mah to 1600mah.

I didn't particularly want to risk it on the 1st order.
imagine the kit coming and the batteries don't fit :shock:

However..... what may be of interest, is that they also don't like being run right down (unlike some other battery families).
Perhaps you're over stressing the battery, by over extracting energy in the last 25% (creates crystaline build up).

That's gonna be interesting, cos I won't be able to do that with the bolt.
I wonder if I can be studious enough, to keep a record of how many times I charge each battery. :-|

When is that day coming, when all these little electrical components wi-fi up to the pc, and tell it everything it is doing?
It's been promised for years now. :P

Grenage
March 24th, 2013, 01:07 AM
I normally only use them till they start to lose their kick, which is probably about halfway, they can go on a lot longer - if I'm willing to accept reduced performance. For the record, there are cigs that hook up to the USB port and give you data - but I've never really seen the appeal! :)

PaulInBHC
March 24th, 2013, 01:52 AM
I used a pass through with a USB plug when I sat at the computer. You need to find out if your USB port is powered or not. I gave up on ecigs after a while.

Ace.....
March 24th, 2013, 03:14 AM
After a while.....
I think for me, that was around two weeks.

Don't get me wrong.
The kit is exceptionally well done.
Just like a pack of cigs.

I was/am well sorted with the filling method... and perfect for a night out.
But as Drawkcab said:

I'm kind of tired of the batteries of the cig-like systems dying on me as well as goofing around with the cartos.

To me that summed it up perfectly.

I noted the pass thru sys, and nearly went down the mid route: cigar sized ego/tornado.
But I thought.
Hang on..... you've just forked out a load of dosh for an acceptable 'night out' cig.
Perhaps, if I buy a tornado type, I'll still end up buying a decent tank sys.

As Grenage said:

Most users will probably move on to more practical/economical systems after a while

So that's what I did.

Given hind-sight; I think I should have started with a bit of kit like you describe (the pass thru sys).
Then I'd have a decent 'night out' vape, rather than the mini cigs ( which as I said, are a perfect imitation, but way too limited).

So I guess it's a cautionary tale.

Will I get the kit you have (is it ego kit?).
Maybe.
Perhaps when I've forgotten about the money I've already spent :P

73ckn797
March 27th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Will I get the kit you have (is it ego kit?).
Maybe.
Perhaps when I've forgotten about the money I've already spent :P

I started with a cigarette style kit but within 2 weeks went with the eGo and a clearomizer. The battery will last me all day and partly into the next morning. I have 2 eGo 900Mah batteries, keeping one charged and ready to go. Your mileage may vary depending on how much you are vaping through the day. Been 2 months and the eGo is great for me. I have several flavors I rotate through each day. Using several clearomizers for each flavor. I am starting to see the difference in cost already.

I use a 18mg nicotine level and it works for me.

Some good local e-juices I found are here:
http://www.heathersheavenlyvapes.com/store3/

http://www.vaperite.com/vaperite-e-juices/natural-juice/natural-flavored-house-extracted-tobacco.html

Ace.....
March 27th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I'm still waiting for my kit., but in the meantime I've just been looking at the relationship between batteries, mAh, ohms, and sweetspots.

A 1100mAh battery is supposedly designed to efficiently deliver 1.1A for one hour........ presumably allowing it to achieve its quoted 500 recharges (edit: see last para).
It seems a bit obvious, when written down, but in fact I've not seen this discussed on vaping sites, probably because the focus is on VV and the resistance of the coil.
The battery has to deliver what the coil demands.

However, if the above logic is true, the 1100mAh batteries I've ordered, are best suited to a 3.4 ohm coil, consuming 4 watts.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

Reading this discussion:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/397559-what-your-ohm-voltage-sweet-spot.html

I see that 4 watts is to the low end of the vaping scale..... some talk about 4 - 8 watts....... 4 for fruit, and 8 for tobacco liquids.
The VIVI Nova kit 2.5 comes with 1.8, 2.4, and 2.8 ohm coils.
If I use the 2.8 coil, this will draw 1.3 amps (just a touch over spec), but will raise the wattage to 4.9 watts.

From this research, I'm beginning to get a handle on vaping technology - battery life against vaping requirements. :)
I'm now much more interested in squeezing in an 18650 2600+mAh into 'The Bolt'.
This would allow me to vape in the 4 - 8 watt range, whilst drawing less than the quoted rating.
This should mean that it will last longer between charges, whilst being rechargable many more times. ;)

Just one more note.
Whilst drafting this post I fell upon this interesting site that tests batteries:
http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18650-batteries-chargers.html

They believe that most manufacturers test their batteries at 20% of their rated value, therefore I guess this is where they get their 500 cycles from, and hence the disparity with what vapers actually get.
But still, as a general rule, higher rated is better all round.
(and if the above site is to be believed, then avoid ultrafire batteries)

:)

Grenage
March 28th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Well if there's one thing I'll say, it's that everything is relative, but you adjust pretty quickly. For example - you start off with an entry level e-cig; you get a bigger model with more power etc, and it's really great (by comparison). You get another model, with [I]more power/capacity/throat-hit/everything, and it's really great (by comparison). After a while, you get used to it, and you might as well have been in on the 'mid-range' model.

BTW: Totally Wicked list their batteries as "Up to 300 charges", which seems more feasible. I think mine are going to last about 100 (tops) before I chuck them!

|{urse
March 29th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Oh, you guys are talking about vaping tobacco, nevermind.

Ace.....
March 30th, 2013, 04:34 PM
My new vaping kit finally arrived today from the UK, 7 days after ordering - £1.99 shipping & handling.
Good deal I think.

Batteries went on charge so I had time to take a few photos (shown below).
Open each in a new tab to get the full detail.

1. is the assembled e-cig (!) comprising of 'The Bolt' and the 'Vivi Nova 2.5'
2. The Vivi Nova e-liquid reservoir and atomiser.
3. Close up of the resistance coil, wrapped around the wick

The wick holds the e-liquid in constant contact with the coil.
When the button is pressed, the coil heats, and the liquid vaporises.

I'm gonna try it out.

.......... Yes.... very nice.

I washed the reservoir and wick first in water; filled her up, and it worked perfectly.
I'm trying it first with the 2.4 ohm coil.

My mix is
1.6ml Nicotine
1.6ml Aqueous Glycerine
4.6ml Propolyne Glycol
10 drops Ice Cool Menthol
10 drops Cigar
25 drops American Red

It gives a good consistent throat hit, and plenty of vapour volume.
The size and ergonomics are very good for my hand, with the button falling perfectly to my thumb.

At first attempt I'd class it as a success :)

Grenage
April 1st, 2013, 11:28 PM
Awesome; hope it continues to work out! :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 2nd, 2013, 12:56 AM
I have two eGO-T e-sigs with Mop Head Clearomizers and 650 mAh batteries.

When I need to replace the batteries I will go with 1000 mAh or better batteries.

I use 18 mg fluid.

Ace.....
April 3rd, 2013, 01:20 AM
Ah!
So I take it that the eGO-T has the battery container, rather than the custom made battery.
I guess the main restriction is simply the cell dimensions.

I'm currently carrying out a study into batteries for vaping; but I'm concentrating on 18650's as they will fit The Bolt and most of the mod kit in circulation.
By good fortune, this appears to be an extremely popular cell to study, probably because it is used in so many apps such as laptops etc.
You have still got to be careful of dimensions though, even within the 18650 category.

I was really surprised at the differences, eg. between 62mm and 70mm in length!!!!
Have they never heard of standards?

I'd be interested to hear how big a capacity cell you can squeeze into the eGO.
I reckon this could be the next purchase.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 3rd, 2013, 10:54 PM
So I take it that the eGO-T has the battery container, rather than the custom made battery.

The eGO-T has a sealed battery assemble containing the battery with the 5 click on/off protection circuitry/switch.

Ace.....
April 4th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Okay.
Because you were talking different batteries, it brought to mind an ego product I'd seen:

http://vapourworld.co.uk/shop/article_100873-001/eGo-RS-Battery-Body.htm

As you can see from the blurb, it takes the 14500 range, that I believe can go beyond 2000mAh (I saw one guy talking of 2200mAh).

I wonder if it fits your kit, cos once you've got the body, then battery costs will drop significantly.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 4th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Okay.
Because you were talking different batteries, it brought to mind an ego product I'd seen:...

I have a lot to learn about the options I have. Thanks for that link.

zer010
April 6th, 2013, 12:41 AM
I've been thinking of trying an e-cig for a while, but my first experience with one left me dissapointed and coughing. Not really sure what the name of it was. It was a disposable type that didn't really taste like tobacco and was too hard to draw on for a decent feeling puff. Since then, I've seen other disposables like nJoy and a kit (Blu). However, they seem a bit pricey to just drop money on something I don't know I'd like. As a regular smoker I like Camel filter, but usually end up buying the cheaper Pall Mall red. Any suggestions?

Ace.....
April 6th, 2013, 02:29 AM
An interesting post that.
A couple of points might help.

1. There seems to be a general consensus amongst vapers, that the fluid that is in prefilled cartomisers is awful (many wash them out before using them with their own mix).
We also found this to be the case.
The vaping experience improved dramatically after the first refill, but more so on the second, using liquid sourced from totally wicked.

2. While I had no coughing reaction to vaping, my wife certainly did.
This was of great concern because the e-cigs certainly replaced fags.
Once my new kit arrived (see earlier post) I ran some simple tests:

Washing the reservoir each time, I refilled with pure glycerine, then propylene glycol.
Both produced no coughing.
I then made a 25% glycerene 75% glycol mix, and added cool ice menthol, cigar, and American Red.
No coughing.

I then added nicotine to a 12mg level (using a calculator).
This produced coughing.

I then made up a new mix to 6mg and this was fine.

What was clear - my wife has a low tolerance to vapourised nicotine.
However, at 6mg, the combination of the nicotine hit, with the vapour, and the act of vaping a cig, was fine.

From this experience, you may be in a similar boat.

What to do?

Hmmmmm.
If you don't have any friends with the full kit...... logically, your gonna have to just go for it (if you want to quit the fags).

To commit as little as possible, and yet still have something you can sell on.... I'd go for something like an ego tank cig, cos a few members use them here (I never have, but I considered them).

Normally I'd say "get fully kitted out cos it stops the fags instantly in most cases".
But for yourself, maybe just buy the single cig and usb charger, plus a bottle of nicotine, vg, and pg - maybe some menthol and or tobacco flavour as well.
At this point you are almost fully kitted, so for a few quid extra you could get a full starter kit (two batteries, a case, and more spare tanks and bits)- depending upon finances.

What's the logic here of spending forty quid or so (or more), when it might not work?

In my experience, as a general rule for everything..... the only way of testing if something is right for you, is if you try something that is potentially right for you.
OR don't give a French guy a piece of cheap rubber cheddar and expect him to like it - spend a couple of quid more on a really nice mature cheddar, and then look at the expression on their face.

The beauty for you, is that you can always sell the kit on, with the true explanation that your throat doesn't tolerate the vapour - but your prospect will be able to try it and buy it, maybe at the loss of just the postage price (good deal).
You'll need to use this calculator for your mix.

http://www.todmuller.com/ejuice/ejuice.php

The totally wicked nicotine comes with a mixing pipette.

If it works, then you're quids in, considering the price of fags these days, and the costs thereafter are insignificant.
If it doesn't work....... really bad luck..... but there are surely loads of people who are wanting to quit, that would buy the kit.

At the very least, you will know that you have given it the best chance.
AND if you really want to stop, but want the social habit of smoking..... you could always pay for nicotine patches, and vape your ecig without nicotine.
Quite a few people do that (with or without the patches).

Other than that..... there's always the cancer sticks :) :) :(

maryjo
April 7th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I just bought an ego-t kit and love the darn thing. I can't say anything yet about the longevity of the tank and was wondering if anyone here can give me an idea of what to expect.

For daily use, I use an ego-t (1100 ahm) pass-through both on the laptop at home and in the auxillary plug with usb adapter in the car. When I get out of the car or away from the laptop, I can unplug the pass-through and the unit is fully charged. I haven't even tried the batteries that came in the kit (900 ahm?) yet.

Way back I had tried the tanks. They were the "A" versions. What a mess. I had finally gotten to the point where it was working and then the atomizer went goofy. Then they came out with the "B" version. By then I had passed on the tanks as the whole process was so frustrating I didn't want to take a chance. Enough time has passed that the latest tanks seem to be winners. I love being able to see how much liquid is available to me at any given time. No muss, no fuss...so far.

I'd like to give the DIY flavors a shot but it seems to be another thing that is trial and error. However, haven't nixed the idea completely yet. Just haven't tried it.

It does seem to me that when vaping the tanks, one consumes more liquid at a faster pace. This would be a good economical reason to try the DIY flavoring process so just might end up trying DIY yet.

PS. Not into electrical terms so please excuse if I goofed up the terminology above.

73ckn797
April 10th, 2013, 12:45 AM
I have two eGO-T e-sigs with Mop Head Clearomizers and 650 mAh batteries.

When I need to replace the batteries I will go with 1000 mAh or better batteries.

I use 18 mg fluid.

Where did you get the Mop Head Clearos? I have only heard of that name through http://www.heathersheavenlyvapes.com/store3/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=161

They sell a set with 2 - 900mah eGo batteries and 2 Mop Head clearos.

I just bought a JoyeTech eGo-C Twist. It is 1000mah.

73ckn797
April 10th, 2013, 12:48 AM
It does seem to me that when vaping the tanks, one consumes more liquid at a faster pace. This would be a good economical reason to try the DIY flavoring process so just might end up trying DIY yet.
With a cigarette you have a beginning and an end. When vaping you have the same thing only after several hours of straight vaping. Presents a dilemma regarding how long at a time.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 10th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Where did you get the Mop Head Clearos?

I bought them at a local shop. I didn't get them off the Internet. I live in a very large metropolitan city. I can drive 5 minutes from my job and get just about anything I want.

Ace.....
April 11th, 2013, 01:11 AM

I noticed a change in liquid consumption when changing the 2.4 ohm atomiser coil for a 1.8 ohm.

2,4 ohms @ 3.7v means that the coil was taking 5.7watts of energy.
1.8 ohms @ 3.7v means that the coil was taking 7.6watts of energy.

All the talk is that high wattage produces better vaping - more heat to vapourise the liquid.

I personally didn't see any improvement to the vaping, nor more vapour (surprisingly); but the reservoir emptied much faster.
I swapped back to the 2.4 ohm coil and it was fine (for me).

As for the diy fluid - I never tried the all in one fluid.
When I started vaping I figured that it was pointless to 'not buy' the bulk liquids.

DIY makes sense, not only directly financially, but also indirectly, by not having to burn time and money replacing stock.
Then there is the obvious benefit of being able to find the mixes that are perfect for your taste.

The key to success is being organised sufficiently to have a pen and paper pad to hand, when you do your mix.
This calculator helps you:
http://www.todmuller.com/ejuice/ejuice.php

I haven't as yet experimented with fruits, but apparently, although probably everybody starts on tobacco flavours, many move on to vaping fruit flavours.

Grenage
April 11th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Agreed; a bottle of 70+mg nicotine lasts a long time; when you compare the cost of liquid to the DIY liquid, it's like throwing £20 notes out of the window. Opening the packaging for a bottle takes longer than mixing a new bottle.

I started on tobacco flavours (ew), moved on to menthol/fruit, then cut them out completely. I was never particularly convinced about the sense of inhaling stuff that was only ever tested for ingestion and digestion, and certainly not for inhalation and such doses. To be honest, I didn't even notice the difference after about a day.

Ace.....
April 12th, 2013, 01:01 AM
I was never particularly convinced about the sense of inhaling stuff that was only ever tested for ingestion and digestion, and certainly not for inhalation and such doses. To be honest, I didn't even notice the difference after about a day.

This is a good point you make re flavours.
The studies I have found relate to the 3 primary ingredients.

Nicotine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8614291
Propylene Glycol: http://www.canadavapes.com/health/pr...ol-safety.html (http://www.canadavapes.com/health/propylene-glycol-safety.html)
vegetable glycerin: http://www.canadavapes.com/health/ve...in-safety.html (http://www.canadavapes.com/health/vegetable-glycerin-safety.html)

There is an assumption that food flavours will be ok, but already forums post re problems with cinnamon.

Ace.....
April 16th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I've finished my study into 'batteries for vaping technology'.
I carried this out on one of the top battery forums www.candlepowerforums.com (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?358815-Cell-choice-charging-resistance-coils-for-simple-amp-complex-vaping-technologies&p=4177817&viewfull=1#post4177817)
Below is the link to the conclusion post:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?358815-Cell-choice-charging-resistance-coils-for-simple-amp-complex-vaping-technologies&p=4177817&viewfull=1#post4177817

However.... although the best batteries are indicated, this post does assume the reader has followed the thread.
Obviously this can be done; but to shortcut that, for those that are only actually interested in choosing the right batteries, and would like a quick explanation.... here it is:

Simple Vaping Tech: Battery, switch, coil

The ideal battery is one that maintains a given voltage, until it fails.
The reason for this is that, as the voltage drops, so does the energy in the heating coil.
This means that the vaping experience can change over the cycle of the battery - starting at say 4.2v running down to possibly 2.5v, (total depletion of charge).

Such an ideal battery is not commercially available to us, so the next best thing is to find one that only drops its voltage slightly (before near immediate total depletion).
These batteries DO exist :)

Two types of power delivery

There are many types of batteries and cell chemistries, but as far as we are concerned, there are two methods of delivering power.
1. Voltage insensitive - provide power for as long as possible, on a slow path down to zero.
Choose these batteries for your torches/flashlights.
The light will get dimmer, but you'll see it getting dimmer, so perhaps you'll preserve power where you can.

2. Voltage sensitive - provide power in a tight voltage range, and when it passes the range, it fails almost immediately.
Ideal for vaping, or any simple technology that has no voltage transformers.

(Rant)

Why are we not told this???????
I've been into technology all my life.
I've gone through probably thousands of batteries.... some of which just fail, while others just get weaker.
At no point have I ever seen this explained on any battery packaging.

I know batteries are complex beasts.... but this is very easy to understand......AAAAGH!

Back to the post:

To be certain..... the only way of knowing which is which, is by using a wonderful app created by a battery expert, who not not only programmed the app, but then tested all the batteries.
Er.... nice one HKJ
Here is his battery comparator (http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php)

However... by studying his test results, I have discovered a basic rule of thumb for 18650 batteries.
Pretty much every (perhaps all) 2600 mAh cells provides a tight voltage range.
Pretty much every (perhaps all) 3400 mAh cells provide a long slow drop.

IE. for vaping 18650 batteries, always go for 2600 mAh and not the more expensive 3400 mAh cells

2800 & 3000 mAh cells are usually slow drop, but one or two may not be.
However, if you choose the cells I recommend, then they are anyway about as good as it gets, regardless of what the manufacturers have printed on the battery (which is very often meaningless).

The vaping voltage range:

4.0v - 3.5v

The Top Batteries for this range:

1. Efest 18650 IMR 2250mAh (http://www.efestbattery.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_67&product_id=914)
This cell has been tested as the 18650 2250mAh bt (black).
We can see that the cell drops to our 3.5v reference point quicker by around a third, against the Sanyo.
They ship worldwide for free, therefore it is available to all.

2. Efest 18650 LiIon 2600mAh protected (http://www.efestbattery.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=efest+18650&category_id=0&description=1&model=1&product_id=920) or Xtar variant (http://www.amazon.co.uk/2600mAh-Protected-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/tech-data/B008QRPYEG/ref=de_a_smtd)
Efest produce different coloured cells, giving different results, some exactly as the sanyo (probably is a sanyo, but for this variant it's not clear).
Xtar state that this is a sanyo cell, so it is most likely to mimic the performance of that cell.

3. Sanyo 18650 LiIon 2600mAh unprotected (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Sanyo-Li-lion-3-7V-18650-18650-Rechargeable-Battery-2600mAh-Red-/390567663150)
The reference cell, available everywhere, considered very good quality, best flat voltage drop curve - only unprotected.

Note: Please be aware of battery safety - read my conclusion post (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?358815-Cell-choice-charging-resistance-coils-for-simple-amp-complex-vaping-technologies&p=4177817&viewfull=1#post4177817)

In fact The Sanyo above is probably the No 1 battery on the planet in this range, and is used by many battery retail/re-manufacturers (eg. xtar above).
This cell will deliver 3.5v+ at 1 amps constant(!) for 2.4hrs.
In comparison, the Efest3400 mAh cell hits 3.5v at only 1.9hrs.
Plus, you will have paid a shed load more money for the 3400mAh battery!!!

(Note: halving these figures for a 2 amp current should be about correct).

Complex Vaping Tech - Variable voltage and watts

So, you have the fancy gear that can fix the voltage output, even though the battery voltage is dropping?
Very nice.

But the best tech is now where you can fix the Watts Ie. the system checks the resistance of the atomiser coil, and you simply dial in the amount of energy to put into the coil.
Very nice indeed.

The great thing about this 2nd generation complex kit, is that the chips they use offer much more control capabilities.
Most, if not all, have a voltage cutout at 3.2v.

This prevents you from destroying the battery, by trying to extract power that no longer exists.

@Grenage - I'm wondering if your kit has a voltage cutout, cos you mentioned your getting about 2 months use per cell ie. around 60 cycles.

The fact is, that if you change your cell at 3.5v you will get more cycles out of the battery.
However, if you are taking it to the 3.2v limit, you might get a little bit more time out of the cycle of a high quality 3400mAh cell.

Having said that...... considering the costs.
My recommendations are that the above cells offer the best performance/price ratio for both simple, AND complex vaping technologies.

The other battery ranges:

For the custom built cells that are provided for most e-cig/cigar type tech..... who knows what you're getting, without actually testing.

In an earlier post re old grey wolf: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2096238&p=12587287#post12587287
We discussed a std battery replacement tube using 14500 range batteries.

I have to presume (guessing) that within that range, the manufacturers also offer the two choices mentioned above..... but also.... without informing the purchasing public :confused:

I haven't researched this range, but the information must be out there (Mulder) :D

Actually... I've just looked, and here is a link showing six 14500 cells being tested (page down to find them) (http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18350-17670-16340-14500-10440-batteries.html)
And here is another. (http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallSummary%20UK.html)
Nice :)

Update: Just had a closer look at the graphs for the 14500 cells.
The AW 750mAh drops to 3.5v in around 100mins.
The Yezl 900mAh drops to 3.5v in around 60mins.

The AW 750mAh is far and away the best battery for vaping.
Note: These times are for current draw of 0.5 amps.

However, HKJ has inputted the 14500 data into the comparator (http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php), allowing for perfect comparisons until the best is found.
Can't beat that!