PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] helkp to build a desktop machine specifically for Linux

Bhakti108
December 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I am looking to order a new desktop machine specifically for graphic design, (Gimp) web development (Scribus and Inkscape) , audio and video editing (Cinellera). I do not run any games at all, so not interested in cpu's etc designed for the gamers.

The array of hardware today is giving me major headaches, and I am wondering if someone can assist in a list of hardware (cpu - graphics card, sound card motherboard etc) that might work well and last for the next 4 yrs or so.

The biggest confusion I have is with the CPU and Motherboard particularly with the following comment

Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website.I am considering
Intel i7 2600 Quad Core 3.4GHz / 8MB / LGA1155 / Integrated HD Graphics / 8 Threads
with a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Socket 1155 Mainboard

But I am wondering if they are overkill for the work I will be doing. I haven't got as far as the rest of the gear yet. :confused:

Any suggestions wold be greatly appreciated.