PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Doing For The End Of the World?

Uncle Spellbinder
December 18th, 2012, 03:19 AM
December 21st. The "end of the world" according to some interpretations of the Mayan calendar.

The weather forecast for Friday the 21st doesn't look good. I think I'll get my party on Thursday. :twisted:

http://i.imgur.com/bvmXo.png

ibjsb4
December 18th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Yes Dec 21, I completely forgot :(

odiseo77
December 18th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I probably should buy an umbrella :p

KiwiNZ
December 18th, 2012, 04:05 AM
What I do every day try to take over the World.

If the Mayans are right I will drive to our best beach, take some good wine and a blanket, eat a nice lunch then sit down put my head between my legs and kiss my butt goodbye.:p

Primefalcon
December 18th, 2012, 05:11 AM
quote from the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar#Long_Count

Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a popular belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0. The date on which the calendar will go to the next piktun (a complete series of 20 b'ak'tuns), at Long Count 1.0.0.0.0.0, will be on October 13, 4772.

KiwiNZ
December 18th, 2012, 05:15 AM
quote from the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar#Long_Count

I am not waiting around until October 13 4772, I am busy that day

QIII
December 18th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Back the first time the aliens came for me in '73, they took me to October 13, 4772.

It was a bad day. The meals are scheduled all around the world. That day someone had screwed up in scheduling and put all three meals as broccoli porridge with spam and toenail clippings.

The aliens ordered take-out from a Chinese restaurant on Pluto. That was the only good thing that happened to me on that trip.

rrnbtter
December 18th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Greetings,
I will be testing RR 13.04. Hope I survive the crash!
:lolflag:
rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

lisati
December 18th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I'll do what I planned to do: go out and enjoy an end of year meal (read "party time") with my colleagues.

The aliens ordered take-out from a Chinese restaurant on Pluto. That was the only good thing that happened to me on that trip.
Until Mickey had to give Pluto a severe telling-off for trying to bite the aliens. :D

QIII
December 18th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I'll do what I planned to do: go out and enjoy an end of year meal (read "party time") with my colleagues.

Until Mickey had to give Pluto a severe telling-off for trying to bite the aliens. :D

Well, that was pretty Goofy.

drawkcab
December 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Reading a book on climate change ethics...an actual end-of-civilization, if not end-of-world, scenario.

QIII
December 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
We are nothing but a characters in a multiplayer universe simulation game some pimply-faced kid from Glorthan IV is running in his mother's basement anyway , and she is shrieking at him -- like Glorthanian mothers usually do -- to turn the computer off and come to dinner.

craig10x
December 18th, 2012, 07:07 AM
To quote an old song by the group REM:

"It's the end of the world as we know it" :shock:

Elfy
December 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I bet I'll be spam banning.

Again ....

sffvba[e0rt
December 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Live life, or die trying...

sdowney717
December 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
3-mile-wide asteroid to buzz planet Earth tonight

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/12/11/huge-asteroid-to-pass-earth-tonight/?intcmp=obinsite

They knew about this one. But there are others that appear unexpectedly with no or little warning.

A tiny change in trajectory when these things are far away could bring it onto the earth, or veer it away.

The power of these giant rocks is also in their speed not just mass, and in the movement of earth through space.

If the scientists and governments found one that will definitely hit soon, would they tell anyone?

Jakin
December 18th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Telling everyone "goodnight" and "i'll see ya at work tommorrow".

zombifier25
December 18th, 2012, 12:04 PM
zombies

coldraven
December 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Planting some magic beans that I got when I took an old laptop to the market.

haqking
December 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Sleeping, I will clear up in the morning

Swagman
December 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Lookes like we'll need to "slip, slap, slop" with the 100% block sunscreen lotion on Friday !!

Hey

I'm a poet and
didn't even know it

rrnbtter
December 18th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Greetings,

Original from Swagman

Hey ..... I'm a poet and
didn't even know it

Hey, he makes a rhyme every time!

rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

PS: Until Friday!:wink:

Dragonbite
December 18th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Darn it, I am going to be stuck at a holiday party at work! :( Not the bunch of people I would prefer to meet the end of the world with! Oh well, at least they should have cookies.

Lucradia
December 18th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hope that Jib Jab publishes a new end of year in review.

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2012, 03:40 PM
On Thursday, I'm taking off to move to the Counter-Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Earth) on the other side of the sun.

But I have it from a reliable source that we'll be ok.

http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_html/frugal-blog/frugal-cafe-blogzone/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mayan-calendar-humor-100th-anniversary-oreo-cookie.jpg

JRV
December 18th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat and hide under my desk.

Swagman
December 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Phew.. Just in the nick of time

http://assets.amuniversal.com/19fb43f01ff701300264001dd8b71c47

haqking
December 18th, 2012, 04:31 PM
looting

QIII
December 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM
looting

Sounds like just the thing!

Paqman
December 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Me and my three mates will probably go riding around on horses dressed in black cloaks, just for lols.

Grenage
December 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Me and my three mates will probably go riding around on horses dressed in black cloaks, just for lols.

That would be pretty amusing.

dannyboy79
December 18th, 2012, 05:40 PM
i plan on playing xbox 360, COD Black Ops II. nothing differnet then any other friday night. LOL

mythic97
December 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Not much maybe using a laptop watching 2012 smugly ect...

superdaveozzborn
December 18th, 2012, 09:16 PM
that weather forecast is jut wrong man, :lolflag:. ya just wrong.

mamamia88
December 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM
oh please do and post a youtube video of it. and please go through a bad neighborhood and see what happens. like the video where the guy chases gangster looking dudes in the hood acting like a zombie

BigSilly
December 18th, 2012, 09:42 PM
oh please do and post a youtube video of it. and please go through a bad neighborhood and see what happens. like the video where the guy chases gangster looking dudes in the hood acting like a zombie

LOL! Link please!

mamamia88
December 18th, 2012, 09:47 PM
LOL! Link please!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4awVqRr1eCo

BigSilly
December 18th, 2012, 10:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4awVqRr1eCo

Zombie on a bike lol!

Thanks for that. Look at those reactions. We all watch too many films don't we? :D

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2012, 10:56 PM
People think it will be an asteroid or natural disaster. But really, that is the day of the rise of the Cthulhu.

Frogs Hair
December 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Celebrating the solstice and waiting for the effects of the black hole at the center of the Milky Way :p

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/12-21-12-the-countdown-begins

Linuxratty
December 18th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Celebrating the solstice :p

Me too,which will involve surfing the net and eating a chicken.

Gremlinzzz
December 19th, 2012, 12:53 AM
:popcorn:All the studying i did for years ,This is what will happen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIdPPVkkHYs
turn it up.full screen, its (The End Of the World)

sdowney717
December 19th, 2012, 12:25 PM
The end of the world is just days away for Russians
and probably lots of others have also seen too many Hollywood movies.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/17/mayan-apocalypse-mania-grips-russia

Do you think people like to be scared, why do they have a fascination on horror ?

Just about every PC game is full of violence and death. And human history is extremely horrendous.

ZombieApocalypse
December 19th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Most likely I'll be playing Far Cry 3 (in Windows 7 I have to admit), or possibly Killing Floor (it's the Twisted Christmas season at the moment):p

haqking
December 19th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Do you think people like to be scared, why do they have a fascination on horror ?

Just about every PC game is full of violence and death. And human history is extremely horrendous.

That is true because life is full of violence and death, I mean who would play a computer game where you skip around picking flowers and sit looking at sunsets writing poetry ;-)

Hoard your salt now....I cant believe people are stocking up on supplies, which means they believe the end is coming yet they think they need supplies when they are dead....LOL

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Greetings,
I'm downloading every version of Ubuntu and Puppy Linux that I can find so that I can spend fornever deciding what I want to use!

rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist! Until Friday!

wladypauly
December 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Waiting for the next world to begin, to see how much different is form the present one... oh, and I will definitely play around with Ringtail, which I've been too busy to do so far...

jockyburns
December 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Think I'll have the biggest party on Thursday night. That way, on Friday, I can leave this world the same way I entered it,,,,,,,, Unable to stand and talking gibberish. :D:D:D:D:D

tommpogg
December 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM
With linux installed I shouldn't have problems with the end of the world. Am I right?

Rangir
December 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM
If the world's citizenry believe, at least for a bit, about an end of the world on the 21st, I feel so sorry for the gods of 3 religions from the Middle East, which half the world's population believes in, directly or indirectly. The poor fellows were supposed to have created this world, and some Mayan gods are going to destroy it. ;)

Uncle Spellbinder
December 19th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I think for Thursday evening...

http://i.imgur.com/fv855.jpg http://i.imgur.com/sGj08.jpg

Rangir
December 19th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Have you been to Russia lately? The Guardian is talking useless nothing. Come on!The Guardian is talking about two small places in Russia, Chechens don't believe in such things, and Novokuznetsk is the science city of the Russia so far away in Siberia. Why not write something about Moscow and St.Petersburg?

It would be the biggest party day In Russia!;)

PS: I just spoke to my UNi-mate in Novokuznetsk. He was laughing at the silliness of the Guardian reporter.
It is -37°C in Novokuznetsk and wind is at 22 km/h. Who'd go out to buy stuff?
Miriam Elder is in Moscow and Novokuznetsk is 3640 km away and it takes 2 days 13 hours to reach that town by express train. It is terrible winter there now.

I'm sorry, but I have to say this; if you want to read about Russia, you have to read the English language Russian on-line newspapers, for example Pravda.ru. I went though the main page to find some article about the "doomsday." Finally found it far down the page; http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/19-12-2012/123229-russia_doomsday-0/

I am not a Russian, but I love that country!

forrestcupp
December 19th, 2012, 08:50 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24343232.jpg

Gremlinzzz
December 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM
:popcorn:
EMERGING SUNSPOT: Solar activity has been low for weeks. Would adding a new sunspot change the situation? The answer is emerging over the sun's NE limb, shown here in a Dec. 18th photo from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory: is it growing for 12/21/2012?
keep your eye on the sky.
http://spaceweather.com/

On December 19, 2012 there were 1359 potentially hazardous asteroids.

http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Rangir
December 20th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Out of nowhere, I found a new toy, Ubuntu Gnome Remix 12.04, and I'd be playing with it on the doomsday.;)

Of course, it is not a toy, but a very respectable distro. I have not much of use for the Gnome shell, so I took it off. There is so much to do with this distro, so the most of the doomsday would go for that. I have to get the 64 bit downloaded, installed tweaked too. I'd have good time!

After the doomsday, 22nd December would come.:)
We'd say hello to each other in this forums on the day after.

KiwiNZ
December 20th, 2012, 05:56 AM
On the 23rd I will turn on my iMac, turn on my Win8 Laptop sit on my deck , ponder and think I bet the programme organiser at the History Chanel feels really stupid today.

Rangir
December 20th, 2012, 06:18 AM
On the 23rd I will turn on my iMac, turn on my Win8 Laptop sit on my deck , ponder and think I bet the programme organiser at the History Chanel feels really stupid today.

Ha, ha!
What about the 22nd? Are you going to skip that day?;)

mips
December 20th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I probably should buy an umbrella :p

That's not gonna help, you need a towel for events like these.

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

—Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

KiwiNZ
December 20th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Ha, ha!
What about the 22nd? Are you going to skip that day?;)

I have a company to run

prettysum
December 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
How nice of you to ask.

Well, let me see, I'm going to work the whole day and party like the end of the world the whole night.. :D

prettysum
December 20th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I can predict the future too, you know. I can predict that it's going to be super annoying on facebook and other social media sites. :P

zikalify
December 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Watching breaking bad :popcorn:

Dragonbite
December 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
It all depends on what time zone it will end.

coldcritter64
December 20th, 2012, 03:02 PM
It all depends on what time zone it will end.
00:02 21/12/2012 right now. I'm still alive. :D

johnnybgoode83
December 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Having a glass of single malt scotch and a cigar.

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2012, 05:53 PM
That's not gonna help, you need a towel for events like these.

Lol. I was just talking to my son about the usefulness of a towel the other day. I guess we could always hope to hitch a ride with the Vogons. After all, it is only the end of the world, and not the entire galaxy.

haqking
December 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM
The world seems to end almost daily in this forum anyways, as soon as someone discovers something new in Ubuntu they don't like or something old that hasn't changed......it is a regular cataclysmic event ! ;-)

KiwiNZ
December 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM
It's 21/12/2012 I am not writing this because it is all over.

lisati
December 20th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I'm not here either, this post is just a figment of what's left of what little imagination I once had. :D

Dragonbite
December 20th, 2012, 07:45 PM

I'll wait until it is 12/21/12 here to decide if it is the end of the world.

haqking
December 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM
People are making end of the world jokes like there's no tomorrow!

Dragonbite
December 20th, 2012, 08:27 PM
00:02 21/12/2012 right now. I'm still alive. :D

Spoilsport!

Although handy.. now if only I can convince somebody who believes it is the end of the world to give all of his/her worldly possessions on the 22nd since if he/she is right, they won't need it and I won't get it anyway.):P

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 20th, 2012, 10:05 PM
People are making end of the world jokes like there's no tomorrow!
nice pun there :p

@dragonbite, i think that is what people have a will (the legal document definition) for

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2012, 10:14 PM

I'm not here either, this post is just a figment of what's left of what little imagination I once had. :D

When it's the 22nd in New Zealand, then you can come on here talking like that. ;)

Gremlinzzz
December 20th, 2012, 10:44 PM
One theory suggests a galactic alignment which would create chaos on Earth because of the gravitational effect between the Sun and the Black hole called Sagittarius A, which is located at the center of our galaxy.

Another theory involves a 'polar shift', which means a reversal of the north and south magnetic poles.

Scientists believe that the Earth is overdue for a geomagnetic reversal. However, this can take up to 5,000 years to complete and does not start on any particular date.
NASA scientists have thoroughly studied and analyzed the possibility of the Earth ending in 2012, and have concluded that 21st December 2012 will be nothing more than a normal December solstice.

No planetary alignment

In response to theories about planetary alignments leading to an apocalypse on Earth on December 21, 2012, scientists say no planetary alignments is likely to occur in the next few decades. And even if they did, the effects on our planet would be negligible.

NASA scientists also claim that the 'polar shift' theory is totally impossible. Although continents move slowly throughout time, a magnetic reversal is very unlikely to happen in the next few millennia and would not cause any harm to life on Earth.

The scientists' conclusion is that the end of the Mayan calendar does not imply the end of the world, only the end of the Mayan long-count period. The 'long count' is a part of the Maya calendar shaped like a wheel. When we reach the end of the wheel, it will turn to the beginning again, just like our modern Gregorian calendar starts again every January 1.

There is simply no scientific evidence to support any claims of an apocalypse on Earth on December 21, 2012.

phibxr
December 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM
It seems like finally releasing E17 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIyNTQ) is triggering some kind of vaporware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware) paradox.

Yep. We're doomed. :popcorn:

KiwiNZ
December 20th, 2012, 11:08 PM
When it's the 22nd in New Zealand, then you can come on here talking like that. ;)

We are the first, we are the ones, all else is just followers.

KiwiNZ
December 20th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Made this up while sipping coffee

You know the tune

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum*

An alignment comes, pa rum pum pum pum*

Our world is doomed, pa rum pum pum pum*

An we lay before the Gods, pa rum pum pum pum,*

rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to curse at them, pa rum pum pum pum,*

When we panic.

Big black holes, pa rum pum pum pum*

I am a dead man too, pa rum pum pum pum*

I have no hope this day, pa rum pum pum pum*

That's going to save my ***, pa rum pum pum pum,*
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,*

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,*
With my gun?*

Mayans nodded, pa rum pum pum pum*

They had no way to keep time, pa rum pum pum pum
They played a joke on us, pa rum pum pum pum*

They watch and laugh, pa rum pum pum pum,*
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,*

Then They missed their end, pa rum pum pum pum*

bloody plunkers .*

coldcritter64
December 20th, 2012, 11:43 PM
....You know the tune....Yep, and now can't get it outta my head. ](*,) Geez, I hate when that happens.

Thanks Kiwi :P

SuperFreak
December 21st, 2012, 12:47 AM
"Today is only Yesterdays Tomorrow"

Uriah Heep

Kirk Schnable
December 21st, 2012, 12:57 AM
http://www.epecweb.com/pub/2012-apocalypse.jpg

Frogs Hair
December 21st, 2012, 02:04 AM
This suddenly came to mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMqoLBIaek

BigCityCat
December 21st, 2012, 02:51 AM
It's the end of the world in China right now? I will be in bed when the end of the world arrives eastern standard. I'm holding off paying a couple bills just in case. I'm trying to save money.

LillyDragon
December 21st, 2012, 05:42 AM
I think KiWiNZ's wit and sense of humor is shining quite brightly in this thread. =P

It's almost the end over here in my time, just mere minutes from midnight! My cousins and I plan to sit outside and see if people start rioting. :P We're seriously more worried that mass-hysteria and idiots panicking/turning over cars/setting things on fire will start the apocalypse, not a solar flare or some thousand-year old calender from a dead civilization resetting.

Here's to hoping the moon doesn't fall on the stroke of midnight!

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/Moon.bmp

linuxcoffeelover
December 21st, 2012, 05:47 AM
preparing to install and use arch linux before the end.

Marthewicked
December 21st, 2012, 06:14 AM
I just left my PC, went outside on 21st here in east coast and ehh just drizzling rain, that is about it.
We are save people, we made it!! But then again, they were wrong about the same exact day, could be off a little? Maybe few days or weeks error in calculation? We are not off the hook yet, or are we?

Prokopius
December 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM
Very sunny over here. No stones are falling yet. Hope the stones would be diamonds. Gods must be having a conference up there in the heavens.

melissalane
December 21st, 2012, 06:30 AM
partyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

monkeybrain2012
December 21st, 2012, 06:36 AM
It's the end of the world in China right now? I will be in bed when the end of the world arrives eastern standard. I'm holding off paying a couple bills just in case. I'm trying to save money.

No in China the end of the worlders were arrested.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/18/china-arrests-500-people-in-fringe-christian-group-for-spreading-rumours-the-world-is-ending/

Prokopius
December 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
No in China the end of the worlders were arrested.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/18/china-arrests-500-people-in-fringe-christian-group-for-spreading-rumours-the-world-is-ending/

Should USA do the same?

zombifier25
December 21st, 2012, 07:18 AM
Just took exams. It's the end of the world aright.

greatsirkain
December 21st, 2012, 07:24 AM
6:22 am Friday 21/12/12 don't know about the rest of you but I'm calling bovine faeces on this on this one.

mips
December 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
6:22 am Friday 21/12/12 don't know about the rest of you but I'm calling bovine faeces on this on this one.

It's only at 11:11 UTC/GMT

fdrake
December 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM
http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/12/07/326797-mayan-calendar-doomsday-memes-end-of-the-world-predictions-mocked-by-m.jpg

Mikeb85
December 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
I'm installing Steam on Linux and TF2.

It must truly be the end of the world. Or the beginning of a new age. Either way the Mayans were right.

zombifier25
December 21st, 2012, 10:50 AM
Apparently the Mayans predicted the day this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0) reaches 1 billion views. Or the world WILL END when that video reaches 1 billion views. Either way...

HORSE DANCE

Kirk Schnable
December 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM
Apparently the Mayans predicted the day this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0) reaches 1 billion views. Or the world WILL END when that video reaches 1 billion views. Either way...

HORSE DANCE

Actually, that was Nostradamus. It was also a hoax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus_in_popular_culture#PSY_hoax

zombifier25
December 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Actually, that was Nostradamus. It was also a hoax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus_in_popular_culture#PSY_hoax
That was a joke :P

HORSE DANCE

And I knew about the Nostradamus fuss.

Dragonbite
December 21st, 2012, 03:15 PM
Just remember

Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday!

It's the 21st, we're all still here (EST) so it looks like my daughter will be happy... everybody will still be around for her birthday party tomorrow! Whew!

forrestcupp
December 21st, 2012, 03:27 PM
My question is this. Is the 21st the last day of the Mayan calendar, or is it the first day after the calendar has ended? If it's the last day of the calendar, then I guess tomorrow would really be doomsday. ;)

One theory suggests a galactic alignment which would create chaos on Earth because of the gravitational effect between the Sun and the Black hole called Sagittarius A, which is located at the center of our galaxy.

Another theory involves a 'polar shift', which means a reversal of the north and south magnetic poles.

Scientists believe that the Earth is overdue for a geomagnetic reversal. However, this can take up to 5,000 years to complete and does not start on any particular date.
NASA scientists have thoroughly studied and analyzed the possibility of the Earth ending in 2012, and have concluded that 21st December 2012 will be nothing more than a normal December solstice.

No planetary alignment

In response to theories about planetary alignments leading to an apocalypse on Earth on December 21, 2012, scientists say no planetary alignments is likely to occur in the next few decades. And even if they did, the effects on our planet would be negligible.

NASA scientists also claim that the 'polar shift' theory is totally impossible. Although continents move slowly throughout time, a magnetic reversal is very unlikely to happen in the next few millennia and would not cause any harm to life on Earth.

The scientists' conclusion is that the end of the Mayan calendar does not imply the end of the world, only the end of the Mayan long-count period. The 'long count' is a part of the Maya calendar shaped like a wheel. When we reach the end of the wheel, it will turn to the beginning again, just like our modern Gregorian calendar starts again every January 1.

There is simply no scientific evidence to support any claims of an apocalypse on Earth on December 21, 2012.Way to ruin our fun! :)

Dragonbite
December 21st, 2012, 04:23 PM

So what you are saying is that people this take a calendar developed by a civilization long, long ago and, for some, in a continent they have never visited [1] and think these Mayans were talking about something that effects THEM? Isn't that a little Narcissistic?

[1] Were the Mayan's in what is now South America, Central America or North America?

coldcritter64
December 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
[1] Were the Mayan's in what is now South America, Central America or North America?

Geographical Location
The Maya lived in the area in Central America which now consists of Yucatan, Guatemala, Belize and southern Mexico (the Chiapas and Tabasco provinces). This whole area lies south of the tropic of Cancer, and north of the equator, and is about 900 kilometers from north to south and 550 kilometers in the east-west direction.Source (http://www.digitalmeesh.com/maya/geography.htm)

Gremlinzzz
December 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
So what you are saying is that people this take a calendar developed by a civilization long, long ago and, for some, in a continent they have never visited [1] and think these Mayans were talking about something that effects THEM? Isn't that a little Narcissistic?

:popcorn:
http://www.history.com/topics/maya/videos#ask-history-did-the-maya-predict-2012

The Maya Empire, located in what is now Guatemala, reached its peak around the sixth century A.D.

haqking
December 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
I am sat here with a balaclava, baseball bat and a large bag waiting to do some looting, god darn Mayan weather forecasts are no more accurate than the MET office

MadmanRB
December 21st, 2012, 08:05 PM
I did have plans to have some fun, watching some end of the world movies like Doctor Strangelove and some Doctor Who, but I have a bad head cold.
Well if there is a tomorrow (wink wink) I can still have a party :D

Gremlinzzz
December 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM

HORSE DANCE

:popcorn:Without the sexy women,that video would give people seizures.

Gremlinzzz
December 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM
My question is this. Is the 21st the last day of the Mayan calendar, or is it the first day after the calendar has ended? If it's the last day of the calendar, then I guess tomorrow would really be doomsday. ;)

Way to ruin our fun! :)

:popcorn:Had to do it,someone might believe it to be true!

KiwiNZ
December 21st, 2012, 09:25 PM
it's the 22nd of December, I guess the History Channel can revert to being the World War Two channel

alexfish
December 21st, 2012, 10:14 PM
THE END IS ni

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

MadmanRB
December 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
it's the 22nd of December, I guess the History Channel can revert to being the World War Two channel

In your time zone :D

BlinkinCat
December 21st, 2012, 10:21 PM
THE END IS ni

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

oops - time is running out - better go and do the shopping - :p

KiwiNZ
December 21st, 2012, 10:21 PM
In your time zone :D

Our timezone leads the World

alexfish
December 21st, 2012, 10:32 PM
Our timezone leads the World

We live in the future not the past :p

KiwiNZ
December 21st, 2012, 10:58 PM
The end of the World is coming, every man for himself, abandon ship. My mother in law rang to say she is coming around.

mamamia88
December 22nd, 2012, 02:54 AM
watching fringe and drinking hot cocoa. and listening to symphony number 5 before that. glad the world didn't end

superdaveozzborn
December 22nd, 2012, 02:57 AM
why posting on ubuntu forums of course. ;)

forrestcupp
December 22nd, 2012, 02:58 AM
it's the 22nd of December, I guess the History Channel can revert to being the World War Two channelBut if the 21st was the last day of the Mayan calendar, that means doomsday will be on the 22nd. Remember, the Mayans were in the Central timezone, not New Zealand's time zone. So I guess we'll have to wait until the Central timezone is in December 23rd before we know we're safe. ;)

toupeiro
December 22nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560736_10151214301334021_2059839630_n.jpg

Bandit
December 22nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560736_10151214301334021_2059839630_n.jpg

LOL Loved that..

Guess since the end of the world didn't pan out. The History Channel can finally stop showing all the Mayan-end-days bull shows and get back to their regular scheduled programming of Ancient Astronauts and Cow Abductions...

Mikeb85
December 22nd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Guess since the end of the world didn't pan out. The History Channel can finally stop showing all the Mayan-end-days bull shows and get back to their regular scheduled programming of Ancient Astronauts and Cow Abductions...

Dunno, I've been enjoying the Mayan doomsday shows. Ancient Aliens is cool and all, but getting a little too silly. It's much more fun when it's semi-believable.

Kirk Schnable
December 22nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Dunno, I've been enjoying the Mayan doomsday shows. Ancient Aliens is cool and all, but getting a little too silly. It's much more fun when it's semi-believable.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23044652.jpg

SantaFe
December 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Darn it, sold all my stuff! ;)

Bandit
December 23rd, 2012, 03:20 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23044652.jpg

A little off topic, but I have often wondered what is up with this hair.. I think aliens abducted his hair brush..

Kirk Schnable
December 23rd, 2012, 04:57 AM
A little off topic, but I have often wondered what is up with this hair.. I think aliens abducted his hair brush..

XD, I haven't laughed like that in awhile!

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 23rd, 2012, 05:02 AM
very nice

Mikeb85
December 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM

I think being a nut wasn't enough, he has to look like one too...

Gremlinzzz
December 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM

:popcorn:Albert Einstein reincarnated or trying to cover up crop circles.

KiwiNZ
December 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
it's the end of the end of the world.

soothsayers 0 , Logic and science 100

sffvba[e0rt
December 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
http://www.sabinabecker.com/media/worst-apocalypse-ever.jpg

enjoijesus94
December 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
It never happened!!!!
lol:D

ranger1021994
December 23rd, 2012, 09:55 PM
Mayans fooled us big time :P :P

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 24th, 2012, 12:47 AM

I remember when another calendar system ended a few years ago. Nothing happened!

http://kaispace.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/1.jpg

darrenn
December 24th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Did anyone put the up the comic book guy worst apocalypse ever gif?

KiwiNZ
December 24th, 2012, 01:26 AM

I remember when another calendar system ended a few years ago. Nothing happened!

http://kaispace.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/1.jpg

However with Y2k there were issues, mostly over hyped by the press, however there were serious issues that because of a lot of vital ( and a lot of non vital) work done serious problems and disruptions were avoided.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 24th, 2012, 02:07 AM
However with Y2k there were issues, mostly over hyped by the press, however there were serious issues that because of a lot of vital ( and a lot of non vital) work done serious problems and disruptions were avoided.

I agree. There were issues with the old code, and there was a lot of hype by the media.

I worked on a team that analysed code and provided patches to prevent the Y2K apocalypse from happening.

Even if we failed, despite what the media portrayed, it wasn't going to the catastrophe the media was portraying.

Kirk Schnable
December 24th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I agree. There were issues with the old code, and there was a lot of hype by the media.

I worked on a team that analysed code and provided patches to prevent the Y2K apocalypse from happening.

Even if we failed, despite what the media portrayed, it wasn't going to the catastrophe the media was portraying.

You'd think it would have occurred to more people that your computer doesn't REALLY know what time it is, and if everyone set their clocks back to 1990 it would have delayed "Y2K" for another 10 years... Not that it matters, because nothing happened.

Bandit
December 24th, 2012, 09:15 AM
You'd think it would have occurred to more people that your computer doesn't REALLY know what time it is, and if everyone set their clocks back to 1990 it would have delayed "Y2K" for another 10 years... Not that it matters, because nothing happened.

This LOL...

Catch 20 to that would have been banking and other financial systems.. But hey, I was 21 and broke.. Like it would have mattered to me.. :D

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 24th, 2012, 09:32 PM
This LOL...

Catch 20 to that would have been banking and other financial systems.. But hey, I was 21 and broke.. Like it would have mattered to me.. :D

You may see it happen again when you are not young and broke. Google "year 2038 problem". In 2038 you will be 59 years old (?).

I won't care. By 2038, if I am still alive, I will be a senile old man sitting in my rocking chair drooling on myself.

Bandit
December 24th, 2012, 10:27 PM
You may see it happen again when you are not young and broke. Google "year 2038 problem". In 2038 you will be 59 years old (?).

I won't care. By 2038, if I am still alive, I will be a senile old man sitting in my rocking chair drooling on myself.

Yea I will be 60ish. For sure we will be well into 128bit system by then. 32bit is already on its way out for most important things. Thus should prevent an integer overflow. At least if I understand everything correctly. I just woke up so I could mostly likely be wrong.. hehe

haqking
December 24th, 2012, 10:40 PM

ssshhhhhh....we dont want even more "why is 32 bit Ubuntu recommended" threads ;-)

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 24th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Yea I will be 60ish. For sure we will be well into 128bit system by then. 32bit is already on its way out for most important things. Thus should prevent an integer overflow. At least if I understand everything correctly. I just woke up so I could mostly likely be wrong.. hehe

You basically understand it.

The Y2K scare was caused by some old software and BIOS still using 16-bit. Unfortunately, some of that old software and firmware was part of important infrastructure systems.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 24th, 2012, 11:10 PM
ssshhhhhh....we dont want even more "why is 32 bit Ubuntu recommended" threads ;-)

I just checked, and found you are correct. I have been using torrents to download distros; therefore, I didn't realise they still did that. :)

ssshhhhhh... ;-)

haqking
December 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM
You basically understand it.

The Y2K scare was caused by some old software and BIOS still using 16-bit. Unfortunately, some of that old software and firmware was part of important infrastructure systems.

That wasnt a 16bit issue, it was a date storage issue, infact it was a result of dates stored in 2 chr fashion and not 4. (99 falling over to 00 etc)

a 16bit year would run out in 65, 536 ;-)

lisati
December 24th, 2012, 11:28 PM

LOL!
Back in the day when Y2K was in the press, I remember some people worrying about things like, to cite two examples I find mildly ridiculous, microwaves and washing machines not working properly. They have timing devices in them, right? :D

lisati
December 24th, 2012, 11:35 PM
That wasnt a 16bit issue, it was a date storage issue, infact it was a result of dates stored in 8 bit fashion and not 16bit. (99 falling over to 00 etc)

a 16bit year would run out in 65, 536 ;-)

That sounds right.

If memory serves correctly, some of the systems I used back in the early 1980s stored the year part of the date in a form that was equivalent to two printable characters.

haqking
December 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM
That sounds right.

If memory serves correctly, some of the systems I used back in the early 1980s were stored the year part of the date in a form that was equivalent to two printable characters.

correct. The issue was that software where dates were stored with 2 chrs (99 pertaining to 1999 when rolled over to 00 the system would think it was 1900 instead of 2000)

Though I think Old Grey Wolf may have been referring to the 1 byte per character (8 bits) where 00 would be 2 bytes or 16 bits etc.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 25th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Though I think Old Grey Wolf may have been referring to the 1 byte per character (8 bits) where 00 would be 2 bytes or 16 bits etc.

True.

alexfish
December 25th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I find Santa does not believe in history

does an I...mac prevent Snow falling on Christmas day, can a diary with a pen
Express Try feelings.
i@ ponder i.

merry xmas

from somewhere in the NHsphere

PS:
I missed the post Man .He had a day off

mike acker
December 25th, 2012, 06:53 PM
log on to read all about it

geogur
December 26th, 2012, 03:21 AM
sorry i missed it too busy , did it happen

Bandit
December 26th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I find Santa does not believe in history

does an I...mac prevent Snow falling on Christmas day, can a diary with a pen
Express Try feelings.
i@ ponder i.

merry xmas

from somewhere in the NHsphere

PS:
I missed the post Man .He had a day off

I been trying to read Alex's post for the past day or so.. I hope he is OK, it appears to be written while under heavy medication.. LOL

Dragonbite
December 27th, 2012, 03:59 AM
The world ends in afternoon!
Details at 11:00 pm!

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 27th, 2012, 07:54 AM
The world ends in afternoon!
Details at 11:00 pm!
which GMT?

fyfe54
December 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Waiting for the next end of the world.

fulopattila122
December 29th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Upgrade to PEOW (Post End Of World) era has been completed seamlessly. Some packages have been upgraded. No restart required.

Th3J0k3r
December 30th, 2012, 07:20 AM
apparently i missed the memo about the world ending, so i guess i continue preparing for the inevitable zomb-pocalypse

Kirk Schnable
December 30th, 2012, 05:59 PM
apparently i missed the memo about the world ending, so i guess i continue preparing for the inevitable zomb-pocalypse
I can sort of understand how you missed the memo. Back in 2008-2010 there was a movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1358232/) or two (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190080/) or three (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132130/) and an R&B song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_%28It_Ain%27t_the_End%29) made about the 2012 apocalypse... but you never really heard much about the apocalypse this year until a few days prior.

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2012, 07:44 PM
The Cthulhu will still rise.