PDA

View Full Version : Comics that tell good stories?

mamamia88
December 17th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I always thought that comics were cookie cutter stories for children where there was a black and white good and evil and the good guy always won. Then I saw the Dark Knight and realized that there might actually be some depth to them. Are there any comics that tell stories on par with some of the great literature of all time? Or are they mostly just super hero movies like the avengers with no real message behind them and just cool artwork? Because I can get good artwork without reading and I can get good stories by reading books and watching movies. So are there any comics that you can reccommend for someone who only cares about story and not art? Don't get me wrong I love bad *** visuals as much as other people but there are better mediums than comics for that.

JDShu
December 17th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Well Watchmen gets studied as literature in universities...

mamamia88
December 17th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Well Watchmen gets studied as literature in universities...

I actually read that one. Can't remember anything about it except the part where the guy got his face burned by hot soup or something. Obviously didn't leave too big of an impression on me. I'm looking for something that leaves a lasting impression on you.

drawkcab
December 17th, 2012, 08:46 AM
"Graphic Novel" is the genre you're looking for. There's plenty of information on them if you google around. There are some fantastic graphic novels out there but I'm not sure they're of the caliber of the greatest novelists. Most of what I've seen are high-end, experimental comic books (i.e. Watchmen, 300) or biographical works (MAUS, Persepolis, etc.).

mips
December 17th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Always been a fan of Asterix & Obelix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_and_Obelix) and Tintin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin). Never could get into the american super hero stuff.

Sableyes
December 17th, 2012, 01:04 PM
The Sandman books are awesome ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_%28Vertigo%29

Not a fan of super hero comics, but quite a few often highlight imperfections / personal struggles in characters. Been nearly 20 years scince I last bought a comic :( Still want too read them, just dont seem too have the time for anything more than XKCD anymore :(

whatthefunk
December 17th, 2012, 01:38 PM
MAUS is a great book.

Max Blyss
December 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Preacher - Garth Ennis / Steve Dillon

The Invisibles - Grant Morrison and a Horde of Artists

Northlanders - Brian Wood and Various Artists

Promethea - Alan Moore / J.H. Williams

Planetary - Warren Ellis / John Cassaday

Criminal - Ed Brubaker / Sean Phillips

Transmetropolitan - Warren Ellis / Darick Robertson

Those are some all star reads that ought to keep you busy for a few!

mamamia88
December 17th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Preacher - Garth Ennis / Steve Dillon

The Invisibles - Grant Morrison and a Horde of Artists

Northlanders - Brian Wood and Various Artists

Planetary - Warren Ellis / John Cassaday

Criminal - Ed Brubaker / Sean Phillips

Those are some all star reads that ought to keep you busy for a few!

awesome getting a nexus 7 for Christmas anyone reccomend the best comic book app? maybe one with a store built into it?

Buntu Bunny
December 18th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Johnny Saturn (http://johnnysaturn.com/2006/01/18/book-one-page-01/)

evilsoup
December 18th, 2012, 04:09 PM
MAUS is a great book.
Yes.

Yes, in the exact opposite way to Maus.

Is basically Alan Moore's guide to his preferred form of magic (dude's a real life wizard, worships a Roman snake-god called Glycon, and Death's afraid to come near him - and his comics are pretty great too). If you allow yourself to go with it, Promethea's a borderline-religious experience.

The rest of these (that I've read) are all good recommendations too... just make sure that you learn read up on what they're about, because this is a pretty disparate bunch of comics, you might dislike some & love others.