PDA

View Full Version : Who donated to Canonical?

GameX2
December 17th, 2012, 04:40 AM
At first, when I was about to download Ubuntu 12.10, I was a bit surprise by the new option availible, donating money to Canonical!

When I read it, I was pretty much "Why?", but honnestly, I believe that's a interesting idea!
Anyone donated, here? How much?

One day, I plan on donating, too! I'm really poor ( ^^" ), but I'll go with 5$, sitll better than nothing. I love to be part of the Linux community. I'm using Ubuntu since october 2011 on Ubuntu 11.04, and it's still seriously awesome!

Best O.S. ever. :)
So far, I'm still testing more Linux distributions (I'm curious. Maybe that's why my first contact with Ubuntu was excellent, it's so cusomizable): Ubuntu (Warty, Lucid, Quantal..), Lubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu is downloaded. Also tried Debian, Mint (Really good impression), Arch (I've tried. As much as I've searched, never managed to configure Internet connection at installation, under VMware). Got a ISO of Fedora, too.

gnusci
December 17th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Yeah, but you can also donate giving support in the forums, reporting bugs or with coding.

GameX2
December 17th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I really love to support people in forums when I can. As for programming, I've got classes (I program in AS3), but I really don't like that. :P

I don't know how bug reporting / Launchpad work, yet.

gnusci
December 17th, 2012, 05:32 AM
You are doing a great job...

drawkcab
December 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I used to buy merchandise more often when they had the US store but I've not been tempted since. I've been a bit of a freeloader these last few years.

I used to help noobs on the irc channel some when I had more time. Honestly, I learned a lot while doing that just by following other people's queries.

3rdalbum
December 17th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I've bought merchandise before. In fact, my Ubuntu mug is on my desk right now. I also own an Ubuntu cap, two Ubuntu shirts (one old-fashioned brown polo, one 10.04 t-shirt) and a brown Ubuntu hoodie. Oh, and some old-fashioned hat pins.

I used to have some Kubuntu pens too, but they broke so quickly. Waste of money.

I've also donated money to Ubuntu in the past, back when it was difficult to find the link.

rg4w
December 17th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Welcome aboard.

I think it's great that the donation option is now more visible, and I love that it allows us to assign our donations to specific areas we find most valuable.

I turned "Improve hardware support on more PCs" all the way up and set everything else to zero. Many of those are quite valuable, but for myself I prefer to see the hardware side of things get closer to "it just works" first.

I'll probably donate again soon. Free software has already changed the world, given the critical role it's played in making the Web happen at the scope it has. Ubuntu is similarly changing my home and my office, and I like being able to give back to the project so conveniently.

hnantnoon
December 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM
i thought Canonical use in website code lol