PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Upgrade to Lubuntu 12.10 did not save files

andejm93
December 16th, 2012, 11:40 PM
This is going to sound extremely stupid, but can anyone recommend a recovery tool that is free?

While working on my Toshiba L505D Laptop with Lubuntu 11.10 installed, I tried upgrading to 12.10.

When first booting from the DVD, it said I could not upgrade because I did not have an internet connection. I went into the test mode, and connected to a network using the desktop GUI.

After connecting, I opened up the install wizard and went through the upgrade process. I selected the "save user generated files" or some such option. It warned me that it needed a swap partition to save files, and so I created a small portion to do so. I even had it labeled as a "swap" partition.

After it upgraded, to my horror I found none of my old files and settings. Was there any reason for this to happen, and are there any free recovery programs?

This was about a month ago, and I have just now gotten the time to attempt recovery.

Thank you for any information.

Gaygerbil
December 17th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Deluge is a great backup tool that could help with your problems I would check it out. Usually it's best to just get an external drive, I still don't trust how some of these Linux installers handle partitions. I've had hard drives wiped with them even with 'noob-friendly' distros like Linux Mint.