PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Desktop Interface on a single user after Update

Artless01
December 16th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hi,
after updating form 11.10 and 12.04, i have problems with my desktop interface on my main useraccount. I added a new user account and everything works fine.

As you can see in the attached pictures, i can open the data, but the background is black and i can not see the font. 228759

I tried to kill and restart compiz, but I justed switched back to the faulty screen.
Using Gnome 2 leads instead of Unity leads to the same problem, but works fine in the new account.

Any ideas.

Thank you

ohnonot
December 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM
it looks to me like your original account can't find the gtk theme anymore.
i don't use unity, but you can try this:
open a terminal, type
gedit ~/.gtkrc-2.0 ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
and in the files opening up, look for
gtk-theme-name="xxxx"
xxxx should be pointing to an existing folder in /usr/share/themes.
the folder should have subfolders called gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0.
(if you need more help with that please ask)
log out and in -> any better?

Artless01
December 17th, 2012, 06:55 PM
The Console output leads to the following error

(gedit:6361): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: a11y.css:408:23: 'px' is not a valid color name

(gedit:6361): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: a11y.css:465:23: 'px' is not a valid color name

Gedit opens up with two blank notes.

Could this broken stylesheet lead to an parsing error?

However, right now I managed to install the lubuntu desktop which works fine, so I can work with this account again, as it is not urgent I will mark this as solved and try to fix it over Xmas holidays.

Thank you for helping.

Edit: removing the config
rm ~/.gconf ~/.gconfd ~/.metacity ~/.compiz-1 ~/.config/compiz-1 ~/.config/dconf -rf

and resting unity

unity --reset

solved the problem in the end