PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming of a white Christmas?

xytron
December 15th, 2012, 09:46 PM
NOAA published the following map of the chances of having snow on Christmas in the US.

Sure would be nice, where I live the whole area is in the 60-75% range so at least there's a chance.

Merry Christmas, hope it's a white one.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/White_Christmas_3%20v2.jpg

lisati
December 15th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I'd be surprised if there was snow in my area, considering that it's the southern hemisphere summer. This, however, doesn't stop the local radio stations playing the "golden oldies" that mention snow..... :D

ikt
December 15th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Is it bad that I thought that this thread was going to be racist?

Anyway in Australia we don't do snow, it's the middle of summer!

wewantutopia
December 15th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I live in the northwest most part of Chicagoland, and we've still yet to get measurable snow.

In fact, a few days ago marked the record for the greatest number of days between snowfalls.

Aside from the white christmas thing, this sucks... we need a good snow pack this winter to help groundwater recharge from this past summer's horrible drought :(

jerome1232
December 15th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Am I the only one that's singing the song in my head right now?

I'm dreamin' of a white Christmas / Like the ones we used to know

Frogs Hair
December 15th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Its been raining all day here and the inch of snow we had is gone . Not looking good so far. I'm glad I don't own a snowmobile. ;)

DuckHook
December 16th, 2012, 12:44 AM
People who hanker for snow almost invariably don't come from the lands of ice and snow. As a born and raised prairie-boy Canadian, I'm telling you that it gets real old, real quick. <grumble> Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye did their White Christmas shtick in a comfy-warm studio using mashed potato flakes. Had they done all of that singing and prancing about where I live, they would have quickly lost their privates to frostbite. <grumble, grumble>

Merry <grumble> Christmas

(currently -12C and dropping)

lisati
December 16th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Am I the only one that's singing the song in my head right now?

I'm dreamin' of a white Christmas / Like the ones we used to know

I can almost hear a Dutch version of the song playing in my head, from an LP (yes, vinyl!) that my Dad used to play in my younger days.

odiseo77
December 16th, 2012, 01:01 AM
No snow here in the tropics. And the lowest the temperature gets in this time of the year where I live is around 15 C at midnight.

mr john
December 16th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Here in this part of Honduras it's about 20c during the day. I much prefer that.

Giant Speck
December 16th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I think in general, it snows here in Vegas once every two years.

superdaveozzborn
December 16th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Interesting, this will be my first winter in the northern stats in over 10 years. not looking forward to a bunch of snow. Thanks for the confidence boost. lol;)

chadk5utc
December 16th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I think its Beautiful as long as it stays N of the <10% line its all good :)

zombifier25
December 16th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Some of you are really, really lucky that you get to see snow. Here in South East Asia there are only two real seasons - dry season when the sun shines all day, and rain season when it rains like freaking hell. The temperature never changes, it's hot hot hot. So yeah, kinda boring.

superdaveozzborn
December 16th, 2012, 04:13 AM
That sounds like Texas weather to me. hot hot hot / rain rain rain. repeat!!

Giant Speck
December 16th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Some of you are really, really lucky that you get to see snow. Here in South East Asia there are only two real seasons - dry season when the sun shines all day, and rain season when it rains like freaking hell. The temperature never changes, it's hot hot hot. So yeah, kinda boring.

I lived in Alaska for three years before I moved to Nevada. I'm actually kind of relieved that I get to go through an entire winter with no snow.

mips
December 16th, 2012, 08:04 AM
You guys can keep all the snow to yourselves, I'm allergic to that white stuff :lolflag:

Paqman
December 16th, 2012, 10:04 AM
And for Europe:
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/2009/rwc/20091225/psnody_europe.png
And Asia
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/2009/rwc/20091225/psnody_russia.png

odiseo77
December 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM

It's pretty much the same here. Not so hot where I live, although temperature may rise above 30 C during the hottest days of the year.

Frogs Hair
December 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM
There is a ski hill near this location that is usually open by now.
As you can see no snow on a grey foggy morning.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 16th, 2012, 06:02 PM
That sounds like Texas weather to me. hot hot hot / rain rain rain. repeat!!

Summer greeting: Hot enough for ya?

WinterMadness
December 16th, 2012, 09:16 PM
People who hanker for snow almost invariably don't come from the lands of ice and snow. As a born and raised prairie-boy Canadian, I'm telling you that it gets real old, real quick. <grumble> Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye did their White Christmas shtick in a comfy-warm studio using mashed potato flakes. Had they done all of that singing and prancing about where I live, they would have quickly lost their privates to frostbite. <grumble, grumble>

Merry <grumble> Christmas

(currently -12C and dropping)

The area of Pennsylvania where I live gets a ton of snow.

I love snow and winter is my favorite time of year. My favorite type of weather is actually a blizzard

cariboo
December 16th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I live in central British Columbia, and I was starting to worry about a green Christmas, fortunately the proper weather came through. :)