PDA

View Full Version : How They Are Expending The Hobbit Into 3 Movies

Majorix
December 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM
*WARNING: This thread contains some spoilers regarding both the book Hobbit and the recent movie version. So please, just close this thread if you haven't seen it yet.*

I have seen the first movie of Hobbit with my cousin.

I was very excited to see all those places, people and events I imagined in my head.

Most of the time, the movie delivered. But, and there is a but. I believe, in order to lengthen the story and be able to make 3 movies out of it, they have placed some "monetizers" in it.

Like this "Azog". My cousin, who read most of the books by Tolkien, and who remembers EVERY effing thing he reads, says this little orc has not been told about all that much. He is just there so Hobbit can stretch out to 3 movies, while adding epic fighting scenes drawing people to the theaters.

They will probably also throw in some Necromancer into the game in the next movies. Another way to expend.

Another thing that caught my attention was how Thorin was portrayed to be a "hero", since there are no other potential ones that could act like one, and every epic movie needs one. In the book, he is just one of those dwarves trying to get a hold of their treasure and lands, but in the movie he tries to act all epic (like throwing himself infront of the monster called Azog).

Also, there are scenes that never appeared in the book, but took place in the movie. Like the scenes at Rivendell, or orcs driving the company right into Rivendell itself.

The special effects are very nice. Orcs, trolls, goblins, ... everything looks just real.

The battle scenes are perfectly done.

Overall I like the movie, but I would prefer if they could tell the whole story without stupid additions, which will limit the movie to 1 single episode. If you haven't seen it yet, go and see it, or you will be sorry. I don't know if this will turn out to be another LOTR, but you will surely be entertained and will wait for the next movie to release.

Finally, don't forget your popcorn!
:popcorn:

BigSilly
December 15th, 2012, 09:58 PM
This was my biggest problem with the Lord of the Rings movies. Not so much the stuff they take out, which is arguably understandable to one degree or another (perhaps), but the stuff they put in. I didn't care for all the Arwen navel gazing in those films. Why take interesting, official stuff out like the Barrow Downs, and stick in a bunch of suit-approved market driven lovey-dovey crap? It brought *nothing* to the films.

I could have understood them making three films from The Hobbit, only if they'd stayed truer to the children's book nature of the story more, and also kept the films to 90 minutes each. No need to stick in Frodo and whatever flash-forwards and links to LotR that are completely unnecessary.

But I do enjoy these films to one extent or another. They are nice additions to the books. But they are no replacement.

mr john
December 16th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I haven't watched it yet and i want read the above posts in case of spoilers. Alot happens in the book.

(I know reading the book kind of is a spoiler... but I'm assuming the movie will be different/not as good.

Linuxratty
December 16th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I don't remember battles in the Hobbit..Well except for the dragon altercation...Always gotta have a stupid battle.

But yup,three movies to triple the $$$$$ they make.
I suspect more Hobbit movies will be made like what has happened with Trek,Batman,etc.

weasel fierce
December 16th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Is it wrong that when Azog showed up, my first thought was "I've killed that guy in Angband!".

Roguelikes aside, I enjoyed the movie. I figure they'll change things up a bit to fit a movie setup, but I had a good time watching it.

mJayk
December 16th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Whilst I do agree with you ( and I really do hate the 3 movie split) there is really nothing they "add" to the film.

If you can get your hands on a full edition of the Lord of the rings at the end there is a section which explains where Gandalf goes to when he keeps popping of in the Hobbit book, Necro etc, and kind of adds alot of "content" to the Hobbit book.

Still agree with you that its all about making more money and pissed me off release the 9 hour film in one go :D

GOGO! :)

darrenn
December 16th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Hey the book is 288 pages. How can you not make that into three movies?