PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] lightweight and heavyweight linux

nomadlite
December 15th, 2012, 08:02 PM
My laptop has 4GB RAM and Intel Core Duo 2GHZ.

I am planning on install Lubuntu 64bit on my laptop. I will install VirtualBox. Then I will install Ubuntu 64bit within Virtualbox.

I use my laptop mostly for internet, so usually I don't need a bloated system. I like how fast Lubuntu is. If I need more fancy programs then I will start Ubuntu in the Virtualbox.

1 thing I don't like about Windows is how bloated it is and I don't have a lighter system. Anti-virus and firewall always slow thing down

In this LH(lightweight and heavyweight) linux setup, I have both lightweight and heavyweight system on my computer. I will install fancy programs into the virtualbox heavy weight system and leave lightweight system alone. I will just use light weight system for email. I don't like dual boot. Dual boot can be annoying sometimes.

Any linux distro already have this kind of LH linux setup? Did anybody already try LH linux setup and how was your experience?

LiamOS
December 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I'm not so sure this is a good idea.

On the one hand, Lubuntu will(relatively) zip along, but once you get into the VBox... Man alive things will be slow.

I'm also not sure that adding a load of programs would slow it down noticeably. If programs don't add themselves to your init system and don't sit in the background, you shouldn't notice any slowdown.

Frogs Hair
December 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'm not positive, but running in VBox may use more resources than dual booting. You would learn weather you like Lubuntu but booting from a live disk or usb may provide the same information.

Cheesemill
December 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Just install Lubuntu and add your applications to that.

Installing applications onto a Lubuntu system will not slow it down at all, the applications will just use up disk space. They will only use your RAM and CPU when you are actually using them so just having them installed won't affect the performance of your Lubuntu installation. You will also get much better performance from your heavyweight applications by running them natively rather than in a VM.

forkandles
December 16th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Your laptop is not old and tired. It has loads of RAM (4GB) and it is running a decent Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

I take your point about not wanting to use a bloated system but I really do think that you are still thinking in a Windows mindset in this respect.

Forget all about terms like heavyweight and lightweight when it comes to Linux.
Any Linux OS is lightweight compared to Windows.

A truly lightweight Linux OS (such as Puppy Linux, VectorLinux, Damn Small Linux or Lubuntu) only needs to be considered by those who have really old P2 and P3 hardware with miniscule amounts of RAM.

In your case, it does not matter which Linux OS you choose. Your laptop will fly regardless.

Your only decision is to choose the one whose look appeals to you most. It is all down to personal preference.

My personal preference is for Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, because I happen to dislike Unity.

Make a choice, install it, have fun and forget all about Windows and the Windows mindset!