PDA

View Full Version : Lockups with some gtk applications

rolandixor
December 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I'm experiencing random lockups with some GTK applications, and apparently with only those that use GTK+ 3.x, in 13.04.

I upgraded to it yesterday, so I don't know if it is a result of the upgrade not transferring some setting or something. The lockups seem to be related (partly) to opening menu items, such as indicators, as the menus then turn white and the system becomes unresponsive to clicks. I also get a problem with Firefox Nightly, Plank (the dock), Gedit, Dconf Editor, etc - where they just freeze after running for a few minutes.

dino99
December 15th, 2012, 07:33 PM
does not get all that stuff here on i386 ):P

maybe clean the system: remove these folders (they are cleanly rebuilt on next reboot)
.local
.gnome2
.gconf
.config

zika
December 15th, 2012, 07:37 PM
does not get all that stuff here on i386 ):P

maybe clean the system: remove these folders (they are cleanly rebuilt on next reboot)
.local
.gnome2
.gconf
.configI have valuable info in these folders... Settings for various apps that I do backup on a schedule... I would not be happy if someone would erase these folders on my machine, without backup...
They are rebuilt but settings are gone...

dino99
December 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I have valuable info in these folders... Settings for various apps that I do backup on a schedule... I would not be happy if someone would erase these folders on my machine, without backup...
They are rebuilt but settings are gone...

thats true, but its not a big deal, and remove the oldish crap :p

zika
December 15th, 2012, 08:21 PM
thats true, but its not a big deal, and remove the oldish crap :pIt depends what is a computer used for...
Never mind...

rrnbtter
December 15th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Greetings,
It probably depends on whether you are testing or just using the release but I have always favored a clean install for myself. I copy over Home and just the hidden software settings that I need for my email ,browser, backup program, financial etc. Leave the rest behind. That way I'm not blaming today on yesterday.
rrnbtter
PS. I'm not a tester but I do send in the reports few as they are.

cariboo
December 16th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Using a testing version as your main system exclusively, isn't recommended. There have been several times over the last few cycles, where the system has become totally unusable for days at a time. I always recommend that you have a previous version as a backup, just in case. You may never need it, but at least you do have a safety net.

rolandixor
December 16th, 2012, 01:54 AM
I'm still experiencing the problem after clearing almost everything, so I'm going to start with a pretty much clean account (except for my important files).

Also, I'm on a new account with no problems, so it's clearly related to the old account.

rrnbtter
December 16th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Original by cariboo907

Using a testing version as your main system exclusively, isn't recommended. There have been several times over the last few cycles, where the system has become totally unusable for days at a time. I always recommend that you have a previous version as a backup, just in case. You may never need it, but at least you do have a safety net.

Thanks, you are right no question about it. Thing is I don't care one hoot if it crashes or not. Just look at the price of a movie, popcorn, and drink and I will take a reinstall anytime. But thanks for the thought.
rrnbtter
PS: I don't run an update on my wife's computer until I know mine will work:) .

rrnbtter
December 16th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Greetings,
Oh, yes, I forgot. I also have a copy of Carolina Puppy Linux installed on my hard drive that I can boot into. It has all of the software that I use in Ubuntu installed and even uses the same Claws-Email folder as my Ubuntu System since its on the same partition in a directory. Only thing I don't have in the Puppy installation is GphpEdit.
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!
rrnbtter

VinDSL
December 16th, 2012, 06:04 AM
PS: I don't run an update on my wife's computer until I know mine will work:) .
Bwahahahaha!

Happy wife -- Happy life! :D

rrnbtter
December 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Greetings,
Original by VinDSL

Bwahahahaha!

Happy wife -- Happy life! :grin:+1:razz:

rrnbtter

zika
December 16th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Using a testing version as your main system exclusively, isn't recommended. There have been several times over the last few cycles, where the system has become totally unusable for days at a time. I always recommend that you have a previous version as a backup, just in case. You may never need it, but at least you do have a safety net.Right. But (it might be just me, I admit) using testing version to do all the work as if it is only machine You've got is the only way to really test that version... Anything else (again, in my book) is missing a target...
I know this is off-topic and I stop here.
The only reason I've wrote my message above is because after months people do search and come across this kind of message, erase their folders and do complain... Over&out... ;)

cariboo
December 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Right. But (it might be just me, I admit) using testing version to do all the work as if it is only machine You've got is the only way to really test that version... Anything else (again, in my book) is missing a target...
I know this is off-topic and I stop here.
The only reason I've wrote my message above is because after months people do search and come across this kind of message, erase their folders and do complain... Over&out... ;)

I totally agree that we should be using Raring as much as possible for day-to-day usage, but having an install to fall back on can be a great help in chasing a problem on an unresponsive/broken system. I'm currently chasing a problem with network-manger and the broadcom wl drivers. Any network related functions and sudo don't work on the system at the present time, so being able to access it from a working install is a great help.

The one thing we don't suggest often enough, is to create a second user, on a system where the hidden configuration files may be a problem.

zika
December 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I totally agree that we should be using Raring as much as possible for day-to-day usage, but having an install to fall back on can be a great help in chasing a problem on an unresponsive/broken system. I'm currently chasing a problem with network-manger and the broadcom wl drivers. Any network related functions and sudo don't work on the system at the present time, so being able to access it from a working install is a great help.

The one thing we don't suggest often enough, is to create a second user, on a system where the hidden configuration files may be a problem.I've never disputed that...

rrnbtter
December 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Greetings,
I'm going to throw in one more bit of opinion on this line of discussion and then I'm giving it up because it is way off topic. Plus this hasn't been mentioned and should for the new user.
If you do decide to run a development (testing) version as your primary system, leave "proposed updates" turned OFF in your update settings and absolutely avoid "partial updates". This should get you by most of the "bad ones". Plus all of the suggestions in this thread are valid. I'm just an old hack that doesn't care. And I'm moving on to something else.
It's been a fun thread.
rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

rolandixor
December 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Well I managed to migrate to a new user profile, which works fine for me because a new profile just feels better anyway :)

BTW, since running Ubuntu from 7.10 till now, I've only once had a system get so bad that I had to reinstall, and that was because I didn't know how to fix a "broken" kernel :)