View Full Version : What a year for Linux

matt_symes
December 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
A bit of Linux loving :)

http://news.efytimes.com/e1/96641/Heres-The-Success-Story-Of-Linux-In

Swagman
December 15th, 2012, 06:41 PM
yeat ?

If that's the same clip on OMG then yeah.. it's quite good.

[edit]

Ok just read it.. The vid is the same but

cough

The report also revealed that Microsoft has gone from 97 per cent share of computer market to 20 per cent

Yeah right !! <--- Sarcasm

forrestcupp
December 15th, 2012, 07:29 PM
To me, Android doesn't count as "embracing open source and Linux".

But I am starting to believe that by 2015 we will finally experience the Year of the Desktop Linux. By that time, the only people still using the traditional desktop will be Linux geeks. :)

sdowney717
December 15th, 2012, 07:43 PM

But I am starting to believe that by 2015 we will finally experience the Year of the Desktop Linux. By that time, the only people still using the traditional desktop will be Linux geeks. :)

HaHo, I think it does.
Linux is winning the OS war for hearts and minds. And Google has played a big part. Building on the foundation which was made very secure by a dedicated programming coalition, many of whom wanted to see MS hegemony eliminated.
It just will keep getting better.

rrnbtter
December 15th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Greetings,
The story makes sense to me. It includes every technology with a display not just PC's. Also the part about freedom from license restrictions means that a lot of linux users don't even know they are using linux.
For my self, every single day I am amazed by my two year old Toshiba 15" laptop running Ubuntu 13.04. I have been using a computer since MS-Dos and never had it so good. Just the difference between 12.10 and the unfinished 13.04 is a light year in performance and visual advancement. Can't wait! No doubt about it. There is a real winner coming in April.
rrnbtter

PS: This should get you even more excited!
http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/18/canonical-ceo-mark-shuttleworth-tires-of-critics-moves-key-ubuntu-developments-out-of-public-eye/

mr john
December 16th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Interesting video. I can see Android, or another Google OS becoming dominant on the Desktop once there is a good office suite with exchange capable email etc.

However, I can't see any of the established desktop distros breaking through. They've had years and years to do it and got nowhere. Google on the other hand was able to crack an OS market in around 5 years despite competition from Microsoft, WebOS and Apple. The major distros are extremely late to that party. Something is very, very wrong with the desktop distros. It's probably a lack of investment and advertising. As far as Ubuntu is concerned Shuttleworth is trying too hard to be Steve Jobs. You can't be Steve Jobs while at the same time giving your software away. The whole thing with Apple was that it was a status symbol because you could afford the latest, most expensive gadget. You can't have that with Ubuntu, because it's a poor mans apple.

weasel fierce
December 16th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Very cool video. It's breathtaking to think about just how many places linux really is, nowadays.

sdowney717
December 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Their is more acceptance now in business to BYOD for work.
More of that will be Linux.
Apple and Android and open standards HTML ascendancy are forcing changes to the point I dont hear the phrase 'wintel' mentioned ever. Wintel used to be an unbreakable ceiling.

Linuxratty
December 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
A bit of Linux loving :)

http://news.efytimes.com/e1/96641/Heres-The-Success-Story-Of-Linux-In

And another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpbFMhOAwE

shantiq
December 17th, 2012, 03:43 PM
http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/167-amanda-mcpherson/680136-video-what-a-year-for-linux

video a tad lame but text is good

Simply put, 2012 was a cross-over year for Linux in many ways.

Here are just a few examples:

- Android adoption outpaced the iPhone.

- Red Hat achieved its $1B milestone.

- Linux’s marketshare in computing rose above that of Windows, according to Goldman Sachs.

It’s also hard to ignore that this holiday season’s most popular gifts, like the Chromebook and Amazon's Kindle HD, are all powered by Linux.

Part of the reason Linux is experiencing so much success is because of the network effect created by its collaborative development enviornment: Embedded engineers work on power savings for their devices; that same code is then used in the data center to lower power bills. The defense industry improves the real time capabilities of the Linux kernel and automakers benefit and add to it. Also, because Linux has no branding restrictions, Android (of the Kindle or a Chromebook) can be Linux without you knowing its Linux. This freedom allows companies to innovate at a pace that is simply unmatched.

We invite you to join us in celebrating an amazing year for Linux. It takes a global community to build this kind of success, and every single person and organization that touched Linux this year deserves to celebrate these achievements.

Please watch and share the our latest video,” What a Year for Linux,” and tell us what was your favorite 2012 milestone and what your hope is for Linux next year.

Linus is the man:::]]

Elfy
December 17th, 2012, 03:46 PM
merged

fdrake
December 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
not bad, ... not bad.... :D

gues won't be long before they implement the smart tv with *nix os!

Jay Car
December 17th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I rather like this news about Samba as well.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20121211145606466&query=samba

https://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source-software/samba-4-threatens-microsofts-enterprise-lock-in-209024

rg4w
December 17th, 2012, 06:23 PM
...I am starting to believe that by 2015 we will finally experience the Year of the Desktop Linux. By that time, the only people still using the traditional desktop will be Linux geeks. :)
Beyond the desktop, Linux is already the de facto standard for modern computing:
http://www.richardgaskin.com/?p=21

One nit about the video: anyone else notice that the scenes showing a browser appear to have been recorded on a Mac (note the tell tale close, minimize, and maximize buttons in the distinctive gradient drag region)?

You and I know it's possible (however unlikely) that the person shooting those scenes was actually using Linux with a Mac-like WM.

But that's the sort of thing that the more zealous Mac fans will pounce on to say, "See? Not even Linux folks use Linux!"

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM
HaHo, I think it does.
Linux is winning the OS war for hearts and minds. And Google has played a big part. Building on the foundation which was made very secure by a dedicated programming coalition, many of whom wanted to see MS hegemony eliminated.
It just will keep getting better.
Hey, I'm not trashing Android; I love Android. But to say that Android's popularity proves that the world is "embracing open source and Linux" is just wrong. The Android way of doing things isn't anywhere near the open source way of doing things. Sure, every OS, except Honeycomb, was open source, but very controlled. But aside from that, look at the app system. It's all proprietary commercial or ad-based apps, and that is what is promoted. As far as being Linux, they just grabbed up a free kernel and built their custom OS on top of it. Saying I'm a Linux lover because I use an Android device isn't any different than saying that people who happen to have a smart TV are Linux lovers.

I don't have a problem with any of that. Like I said, I love Android. But it's just not true that people are "embracing open source and Linux" because they bought a certain type of phone or tablet, especially the open source part.

Swagman
December 18th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hey, I'm not trashing Android; I love Android. But to say that Android's popularity proves that the world is "embracing open source and Linux" is just wrong. The Android way of doing things isn't anywhere near the open source way of doing things. Sure, every OS, except Honeycomb, was open source, but very controlled. But aside from that, look at the app system. It's all proprietary commercial or ad-based apps, and that is what is promoted. As far as being Linux, they just grabbed up a free kernel and built their custom OS on top of it. Saying I'm a Linux lover because I use an Android device isn't any different than saying that people who happen to have a smart TV are Linux lovers.

I don't have a problem with any of that. Like I said, I love Android. But it's just not true that people are "embracing open source and Linux" because they bought a certain type of phone or tablet, especially the open source part.

^^^^
This

rrnbtter
December 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Greetings,
The thread is "What a year for Linux" not "What a year for open source". Just because I install a version of linux, just say Red Hat for example and install Moneydance for accounting and Nero Burning Rom to burn my data, that doesn't mean -1 for Linux. The jest of the article is most certainly about the kernel and it applications. MS does the same thing. It starts with a kernel and installs its own proprietary software and then libraries that allow the use of 2nd party applications. But it is still at ground level a MS Kernel and the MS kernel has been lackluster in expanding it application base. Not so with "Linux Kernel". Throwing the Mac into the discussion just further degrades the percentage points for MS. If I buy a car with an onboard computer, I as a user may not be presumed to know what the underlying kernel is even by the software. I am driving a car not by default computing. I care about where I am going, not the source of my bluetooth. It is still market share for the underlying kernel. IMO!

rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

GreatDanton
December 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM
The one who made video (http://news.efytimes.com/e1/96641/Heres-The-Success-Story-Of-Linux-In) about Linux (in #1) is actually using Mac =P

Gremlinzzz
December 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM

:popcorn:I agree,
the only people still using the traditional desktop will be Linux geeks.
Desktops for home use is dying,who wants to be stuck to a desk at home?Let me answer for everyone ,nobody

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Greetings,
The thread is "What a year for Linux" not "What a year for open source". Just because I install a version of linux, just say Red Hat for example and install Moneydance for accounting and Nero Burning Rom to burn my data, that doesn't mean -1 for Linux. The jest of the article is most certainly about the kernel and it applications.
The thread title is that, but the thread is about the article. My specific complaint was with the article, which talked about the "many people" who "embraced open source and Linux". Then it proceeded to back that up with Android sales. That statement the article made is ridiculous. Those people didn't embrace open source and Linux. They just bought phones they like.

rrnbtter
December 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Greetings,

Original by Forrestcupp

They just bought phones they like.

Couldn't agree more! They are just phone users. They are just car drivers. They are just voice recorder users. And on and on. They are all linux users. Its like a forum member said in another thread "My mother doesn't care what OS is running on her computer as long as her Firefox works.". I guess you have a valid point on whether that is embracing Linux. I'm just saying that Linux is becoming more entrenched in technology consciously or not. They love their phone and I love my Toshiba Laptop running RR 13.04. Its all market share, isn't it? I'm not saying they won't embrace the next hot shot thing that comes along after all we are talking about "using" not "cult fetish".

rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist! By Friday!

Aaron Christianson
December 18th, 2012, 10:20 PM
how has no one mentioned the announcement of Steam and the release of the beta for linux?

This and the aftershocks thereof are going to be pretty big for linux desktop users.

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Couldn't agree more! They are just phone users. They are just car drivers. They are just voice recorder users. And on and on. They are all linux users. Its like a forum member said in another thread "My mother doesn't care what OS is running on her computer as long as her Firefox works.". I guess you have a valid point on whether that is embracing Linux. I'm just saying that Linux is becoming more entrenched in technology consciously or not. They love their phone and I love my Toshiba Laptop running RR 13.04. Its all market share, isn't it? I'm not saying they won't embrace the next hot shot thing that comes along after all we are talking about "using" not "cult fetish".I don't disagree with that at all. Aside from the "embracing" thing, my problem was more with the "open source" part of the statement. The Linux kernel is really getting out there, but most of it doesn't have much to do with open source. And like I said before, I don't have a problem in the world with any of that, including commercial and ad-based apps. I just had a problem with how they worded it, because it makes it sound like something is happening that is not really happening.

rrnbtter
December 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Greetings,
Original by Forrestcupp

my problem was more with the "open source" part of the statement.We are really on the same page here. I was just addressing the OP whereas you were concerned with the term "open source" used in the release. Many of these opinion posts tend to misuse terms, or even fail to understand their significance completely. There is a lot of lazy journalism today on a lot of fronts. But if the OP is saying hooray for Linux I think he comes to a good conclusion. Samsung is having a great year and it was launched with the Advent of Iphone, ipad and Windows 8. Ironically, Samsung provides Apple with 100% of their processors, ram, lcd displays and what ever else. Samsung is to release their own touch pad later this year. They are also the largest provider of internet equiped tv's in the world. Hey, isn't the linux kernel produced under the GPL ?. Just a question!

rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist! Until Friday!

matt_symes
December 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Whether you believe that Open Source is at the heart of Linux or the kernel is the heart of Linux or a mixture of both, you have to admit that this has been a great year for Linux.

As has been pointed out, Steam is coming to the desktop/laptop and the kernel is now used in a multiplicity of devices.

Anecdotal i know, however i have met more people using Linux (in devices and on the desktop) this year that any other year and I have seen more vacanies for Linux software developers / sysadmins than i have ever seen.

My personal opnion on the Linux kernel being used with proprietary software and in proprietary devices ...

I it walks like and duck and if it quacks like a duck...

ZombieApocalypse
December 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Very exited about Steam arriving on Linux and not before time. Apparently they're opening the beta to all in the next week or so (see here (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/12/steam-linux-to-launch-open-beta-next-week)). I'm looking forward to spending less time in Windows 7, which I use for the majority of my gaming.

Now all I need is better support from AMD/ATI for my graphics hardware - or else my next video card will have to be Nvidia. But hopefully the Steam move will inspire/pressure AMD.

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Greetings,
Original by matt_symes

If it walks like and duck and if it quacks like a duck...

Looks like a duck to me!
Moving on to a new thread!
Peace
rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist! Until Friday!

Dr. C
December 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM

To say that all the apps in the Play Store are proprietary commercial or ad-based is simply not true. There are thousands of FLOSS apps in the Play Store including apps under strict copyleft liceneses such as GPL v3. There is a huge difference between Android and the competition IOS when it comes to apps. In IOS all the apps are proprietary. They are either proprietary to begin with or are turned into proprietary by the terms of the iTunes store.

By the way there is a hugh difference between Linux and GNU/Linux. A very good example is Ubuntu for Andorid where you have Android and GNU running side by side on top of the same Linux kernel.

forrestcupp
December 19th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Whether you believe that Open Source is at the heart of Linux or the kernel is the heart of Linux or a mixture of both, you have to admit that this has been a great year for Linux.I believe that both open source and the kernel are at the heart of Linux. But I believe that money is the heart of Android.

To say that all the apps in the Play Store are proprietary commercial or ad-based is simply not true. There are thousands of FLOSS apps in the Play Store including apps under strict copyleft liceneses such as GPL v3. There is a huge difference between Android and the competition IOS when it comes to apps. In IOS all the apps are proprietary. They are either proprietary to begin with or are turned into proprietary by the terms of the iTunes store.Of course what you're saying is true. But on that note, there are thousands of FLOSS apps for Windows, too. Having open source apps available doesn't have any reflection on the platform at all. The heart of GNU/Linux is freedom. The heart of Android is money. If you think Google is running a charity, then you need to take another look at them.

But like I've said many times, I don't have any problem with their philosophy and system. I'm just making it clear that Google's main goal is money, not FOSS.

zikalify
December 20th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I can't watch this with that Mac theme!

lz1dsb
December 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
:D
I used to have exactly the same theme back in the days when I was running Ubuntu 9.10. It's nice ;)
But yeah... what a year for Linux. Let's hope that the next one will be even better! Maybe the year of the Desktop Linux is just around the corner...