PDA

View Full Version : Please, help with Fortran 77/90

fossilsking
July 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Hi guys, I'm quite new in programming and I need to compile and install one program for doing some theoretical calculations. I have installed the Fortran 77 from aptitute (g77-3.4 3.4.4-6ubuntu8.1). The source of the program I have is a "filename_f77.f" (or filename_f90.f). When I try to run f77 -o filename filename_f77.f (g77 -o filename filename_f77.f ) I get the following error:

bash: f77: command not found or
bash: g77: command not found

Please, let me know how to solve this problem. Many thanks in advance. Cheers, Emil

aev
July 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I have my fortran g77/f77 installed through Synaptic - search "fortran" . If you search "f77" most probably won't find it.

Install the package - g77 4.3.4.6-1

Most probably this will fix the problem:-k . Also, you may want to install "ddd" - Data Display Debugger. Cool for debuging when compiling with the -g option.

xtacocorex
July 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM
The FORTRAN 90 compilers are in a package gfortran.

You could always get the Intel FORTRAN compilers for Linux. They are free for non-commercial use. There are a couple of How-To's to get the rpm's to convert to .deb files.

I have an older version and I find it far superior to the GNU FORTRAN compilers.

fossilsking
August 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions. The installation of the compiler was OK. It just does not want to start. I used the same procedure to install it on my desktop machine and then everything ran flawless. On my laptop, it seems to me that after the installation it is not in the bash, for some reason.

sfp100
May 25th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I had compile FORTRAN 77 code (barotropic model) with command

gfortran -o baro baro.forand it works.
I'm not sure if it will work with all F77 codes or not, but in my case was good.
May be some special features can broke this simple method (now I have problem with code written with features from Fortran 90 ANSI/ISO and warnings from gfortran, but it's other story), but in several cases should work.