PDA

View Full Version : A simplified version of Ubuntu (game console)

ajr893
December 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
[oops, didn't think about the fact that the title would be censored. My B!]

Hey, all,

I've had this idea for a while and I haven't found anything about it here on the forums. So I'm going to pitch the idea to you all.

I've been wanting a simplified version of Ubuntu that runs much like a gaming console. From starting, you never have to use anything other than a game controller, perhaps a USB Xbox 360 controller. It's commonplace and the drivers are already out there. The screen that comes up on boot could give access to various emulators or linux games, or at least that's how I imagine it.

I would think the OS would also have to have a modified file select for emulators as well, I can't see running a normal filesystem with a controller being very intuitive.

I figure this could be done crudely with the ubuntu gnome 3 interface and qjoypad by opening both on boot, but that doesn't solve the problem of having to manually change control schemes every time you switch games or applications. It also doesn't make everything easy to get to using a controller, you would still probably have to move the mouse with the right thumbstick. Which, to be quite honest, sounds painful.

So I'm going to throw this one to the wolves, what do you guys think? Is there anything like this in the works that I'm not aware of? How would YOU pull it off, given the resources and time?

[I have no experience with qjoypad, so excuse me if I've made an assumption about the way it functions that isn't true. From what I understand, it tricks the OS into thinking the controller is both a keyboard and a mouse.]

Toz
December 14th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Title changed to be more descriptive of post.

ajr893
December 14th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks! Should have thought of that.

Toz
December 15th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

tgalati4
December 15th, 2012, 03:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME

LuciferRex
December 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have recently been kicking around the idea of trying something like this myself. The first thought I had was, Is Ubuntu the right distro for this type of system?