PDA

View Full Version : Ebook reader: Best Programming Books ?

honeybear
December 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Hi,

I open this thread about coding, programming, books...

I have read million times this book and I recommend it very much.

This is my favorite:
- The_C_Programming_Language_2nd_ED_Ritchie_and_Kern ighan.epub
http://s3.amazonaws.com/epubbud_epubs/V83XBH4F/The_C_Programming
- The_C_Programming_Language.pdf
http://net.pku.edu.cn/~course/cs101/2008/resource/The_C_Programming_Language.pd

What's yours (as direct dwld Epub/mobi format)?

Think Opensource plz !
Regards

Majorix
December 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I find PDF to be the best for programming books, as most of the time books look out of the place when converted to an e-book format. I have a Kindle DX lying around, which I use when I have to read a programming book, in PDF format.

Currently I am reading "The D Programming Language" by Andrei Alexandrescu.

slickymaster
December 15th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I find PDF to be the best for programming books

Agree with you. As for me I am reading "Pro JavaFX Platform" by James L. Weaver, Weiqi Gao, Stephen Chin and Dean Iverson.

honeybear
December 15th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I find PDF to be the best for programming books, as most of the time books look out of the place when converted to an e-book format. I have a Kindle DX lying around, which I use when I have to read a programming book, in PDF format.

Currently I am reading "The D Programming Language" by Andrei Alexandrescu.

To me, pdf is not suited. I have an ebook reader, and epub is really the revolution. You can really read with it like a book.

EPUB let you increase/decrease the size of the font. Try this epub above, indeed you can get some words on another page, but big fonts is so so comfortable to read.

I vote for EPUB /MOBI

Agree with you. As for me I am reading "Pro JavaFX Platform" by James L. Weaver, Weiqi Gao, Stephen Chin and Dean Iverson.

you have good eyes or a big monitor/screen ? or gotta damage your eyes if havent

memilanuk
December 15th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Haven't messed with epub... but I know that some mobi (Kindle) files have severe issues with formatting things like code examples, especially when its something like python where white space (indentation) is important. Ebooks from Packt Publishing are worse than useless in mobi form.

Anymore, I may search for books I am interested in on Amazon, but I'll go to the publisher's site to purchase because through Amazon I only get the one format (mobi), but if I purchase a 'digital' version from the publisher (especially O'Reilly) I can download any kind of e-format I want - epub, mobi, PDF, etc.

honeybear
December 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Haven't messed with epub... but I know that some mobi (Kindle) files have severe issues with formatting things like code examples, especially when its something like python where white space (indentation) is important. Ebooks from Packt Publishing are worse than useless in mobi form.

Anymore, I may search for books I am interested in on Amazon, but I'll go to the publisher's site to purchase because through Amazon I only get the one format (mobi), but if I purchase a 'digital' version from the publisher (especially O'Reilly) I can download any kind of e-format I want - epub, mobi, PDF, etc.

Got a Cybook, and my Linux detects it and uploads automatically new books ;)