PDA

View Full Version : Computer games of today than older games

nec207
December 14th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Have computer games gotten too big now with 3D graphics ? Old games lof of the older 90's game like llusion of Gaia or Zelda took year to make and under 100 people but Skyrim , crysis , mentro 2033 ,Battlefield 3 or far cry 3 may take 3 or 4 years to make and well over 1,000 people .

Not say older 90's game like llusion of Gaia or Zelda may cost $1,000 to make it but crysis , mentro 2033 ,Battlefield 3 or far cry 3 cost $1,000,000 or more to make it.

Mikeb85
December 14th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Have computer games gotten too big now with 3D graphics ? Old games lof of the older 90's game like llusion of Gaia or Zelda took year to make and under 100 people but Skyrim , crysis , mentro 2033 ,Battlefield 3 or far cry 3 may take 3 or 4 years to make and well over 1,000 people .

Not say older 90's game like llusion of Gaia or Zelda may cost $1,000 to make it but crysis , mentro 2033 ,Battlefield 3 or far cry 3 cost $1,000,000 or more to make it.

The big blockbuster games make money so no, they're not too big yet. That being said, my favourite games these days are smaller, more retro-styled games, mostly on Android.

My favourites recently are anything made by Kairosoft (Android), Spirits (Android), Braid (Linux and Windows), and the occasional round of 0 A.D. (Ubuntu and other Linux).

I personally don't find the blockbuster games to be terribly amusing anymore, if I want realistic graphics I'll go outside.

weasel fierce
December 14th, 2012, 05:18 AM
This is generalizing heavily as there's innovative AAA titles, and derivative indie titles, but generally there's certain games you are only going to get in the mainstream (big games like Skyrim) and certain games you are only going to get in the indie market (FTL for example).

Indie developers can afford to play to a niche, and take chances, while the big developers need to hit something that is guaranteed to sell (and even then, plenty of games never break even).

On an individual level, I mostly don't care about mainstream gaming, since it's not available to me. I check out new titles on a buddy's 360 and we have fun. Then we play some turn based indie titles or some two player games on the old Amiga, and those are fun too.

mastablasta
December 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
problme with these big games is unless you own a factory or something that brings you money every month with no hard work you really won't have the time to play them. they are so massive and take time to play thoguh. you can only play one at most. i still haven't finished Oblivion: Shivering Isles. Not to mention Fire Cry 2 and Crysis and now these two already have their next parts. I haven't played any of the Assasins Creed games, Battlefield 3 is out of my reach (hardware &software insuficient). there is just no time. if i am lucky i have 30 minutes per day sometimes and hour for some games. so enemy territory is being played at the moment.

Jakin
December 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but- i find it harder to play strategy games, with the 3D graphics that get more and more complex.

Take for example Oil Rush, its Graphics engine is beautiful... but there is so much going on graphically, i feel lost in what to do- and i love strategy games.

So, for me in that regard low end graphic for those type games become superior.

Mikeb85
December 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but- i find it harder to play strategy games, with the 3D graphics that get more and more complex.

Take for example Oil Rush, its Graphics engine is beautiful... but there is so much going on graphically, i feel lost in what to do- and i love strategy games.

So, for me in that regard low end graphic for those type games become superior.

I agree. My favourite RTS game is still Age of Empires 2 (Microsoft used to make good games - AOE, Combat Flight Simulator, etc...).

Oil Rush has controls that are too simple, but graphics that are too fancy.

Even turn based strategy games like Civilization have gotten too fancy, even with a high-end graphics card it can slow down your computer, and take the fun out of late-game play...

drawkcab
December 14th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I usually wait a few years before buying games for a number of reasons:

1. They're cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a game. Most of my games I've picked up on steam for $5-$10.

2. I don't need a $2000 rig to play the latest and greatest. Anyone can have fun playing TF2 on a $300 laptop.

3. Gameplay > fancy graphics and hype. A 2-4 year period will generally separate the wheat from the chaff. If people are still enthusiastically playing a game years later, there must be something compelling about the gameplay. Most of these games that are released, however, are moderately entertaining grinds that you forget. You'd be better off picking up a sport, reading a book, going on a date--anything other than wasting hours of your life on every mediocre game that gets released.

GreatDanton
December 14th, 2012, 08:01 PM
i usually wait a few years before buying games for a number of reasons:

1. They're cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a game. Most of my games i've picked up on steam for $5-$10.

2. I don't need a $2000 rig to play the latest and greatest. Anyone can have fun playing tf2 on a $300 laptop.

3. Gameplay > fancy graphics and hype. A 2-4 year period will generally separate the wheat from the chaff. If people are still enthusiastically playing a game years later, there must be something compelling about the gameplay. Most of these games that are released, however, are moderately entertaining grinds that you forget. You'd be better off picking up a sport, reading a book, going on a date--anything other than wasting hours of your life on every mediocre game that gets released.
+9000

CharlesA
December 14th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I just finished Metro 2033 and found it enjoyable (minus the checkpoint saves). I'm surprised the OP didn't mention games such as Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

QIII
December 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Anything newer than Pong is silly.

weasel fierce
December 14th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I usually wait a few years before buying games for a number of reasons:

1. They're cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a game. Most of my games I've picked up on steam for $5-$10.

2. I don't need a $2000 rig to play the latest and greatest. Anyone can have fun playing TF2 on a $300 laptop.

I agree, though my wait is more like 10 years :D

drawkcab
December 14th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I agree, though my wait is more like 10 years :D

Yeah, I'd still rather play Civ II than most of the games that have been released in the last 20 years.

Also, you can keep yourself thoroughly entertained with a few emulators and a few of the best classic roms.

Shibblet
December 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I just finished Metro 2033 and found it enjoyable (minus the checkpoint saves). I'm surprised the OP didn't mention games such as Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

I'm a big fan of old-style RPG's. The original Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System. Dragon Warrior for Nintendo, the original Final Fantasy, etc. I even preferred the original Ultima Trilogy to the later Avatar series 4-9 (especially 9)

The interface is very simplistic, and the game doesn't get bogged down by micromanaging your inventory and such.

Dragon Age: Origins was a great game, but there is a little TOO much you can do. Mass Effect is almost identical.

nec207
December 16th, 2012, 04:52 AM
The big blockbuster games make money so no, they're not too big yet. That being said, my favourite games these days are smaller, more retro-styled games, mostly on Android.

My favourites recently are anything made by Kairosoft (Android), Spirits (Android), Braid (Linux and Windows), and the occasional round of 0 A.D. (Ubuntu and other Linux).

I personally don't find the blockbuster games to be terribly amusing anymore, if I want realistic graphics I'll go outside.

Those games are not blockbuster ? Really have you look at the realistic graphics in those games I talked about above?

It most took them 3 or 4 years to make and well over 1000 people.

Best Graphics 2012 by MRGV these games must taken 4 years to make and well over 2000 people !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPTkQQErBZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw9DlIK8DY

On side not you don't play games for smart phone or ipad type device apple or not on laptop or desktop it like comparing apples to oranges.

Paqman
December 16th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I'd still rather play Civ II than most of the games that have been released in the last 20 years.

Civ 2 & 3 were the peak of that series. There are some nice touches in the later games (eg: hex grid in Civ 5) but overall the games aren't as good.

I don't agree that games in general have got worse though, there are still some classic games getting made that will stand the test of time (eg: Portal), but there was a lot of dross back in the day and there's a lot of dross now.

Tibuda
December 16th, 2012, 12:42 PM
And games used to be distributed in 1.44 MB floppy disks. And then they moved to 700MB CDs, then 4GB DVDs and so...

Jakin
December 16th, 2012, 02:47 PM
And games used to be distributed in 1.44 MB floppy disks. And then they moved to 700MB CDs, then 4GB DVDs and so...

And Now, slowly starting their migration to digital download. or physical DVD9. Later, 25GB+ Bluray.
Thy computer world today is memory hungry... be it volatile system usage, or non volatile storage.

Cheesemill
December 16th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Also, you can keep yourself thoroughly entertained with a few emulators and a few of the best classic roms.
+1

I spend more time playing with MAME and other emulators than I do playing recent titles, especially now I've finished building my cabinet.

nuk28
December 16th, 2012, 03:08 PM

I really like Gradius III. Great gameplay that's super-difficult, but super-rewarding when you get right. [](/b33)

CharlesA
December 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
+1

I spend more time playing with MAME and other emulators than I do playing recent titles, especially now I've finished building my cabinet.

I haven't messed with emulators in a long while but I did have a huge library. Now I am kinda hooked on Indie games. :lolflag:

Jakin
December 16th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I really like Gradius III. Great gameplay that's super-difficult, but super-rewarding when you get right. [](/b33)
Gradius is Great! Though, i like me some R-type better ;D

nec207
December 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Civ 2 & 3 were the peak of that series. There are some nice touches in the later games (eg: hex grid in Civ 5) but overall the games aren't as good.

I don't agree that games in general have got worse though, there are still some classic games getting made that will stand the test of time (eg: Portal), but there was a lot of dross back in the day and there's a lot of dross now.

The 90's a lot of games where fantasy RPG ( like llusion of Gaia , final fantasy and the final fantasy spin offs and Zelda so on ) the market got saturated than it was military and first person shooter and the market now is getting saturated with military and first person shooter so fantasy RPG may make come back in the nex 5 to 8 years or so.

Note most of the classic fantasy RPG are moving on to gaming handsets .

Petro Dawg
December 21st, 2012, 02:08 AM
I gave up trying to find decent games on the Software Center (for Ubuntu) and Android market (for my phone), I still think the old SNES RPGs and N64 Zeldas are great. If not for the emulators, my Linux laptop would never be used for gaming (except possibly for the occasional "Nexuiz" stress release session).

Even with the high graphics and realistic physics of modern racer games, I think Mario Kart still blows them all away (you can only get so realistic without actually being behind the wheel). The art and creativity found in older games has been lost in the multi-million dollar pursuit of realism in current generation gaming; leaving the current generation of players with no imagination left at all.

weasel fierce
December 21st, 2012, 04:06 AM
It's worth noting that as a fan of rogue-like RPG's, linux is doing quite well :)

You can sink countless hours into games like Angband and Dungeon Crawl, and the detail makes games like Dragonage look weak.

Jakin
December 21st, 2012, 11:57 PM
I gave up trying to find decent games on the Software Center (for Ubuntu) and Android market (for my phone), I still think the old SNES RPGs and N64 Zeldas are great. If not for the emulators, my Linux laptop would never be used for gaming (except possibly for the occasional "Nexuiz" stress release session).

Even with the high graphics and realistic physics of modern racer games, I think Mario Kart still blows them all away (you can only get so realistic without actually being behind the wheel). The art and creativity found in older games has been lost in the multi-million dollar pursuit of realism in current generation gaming; leaving the current generation of players with no imagination left at all.

First, i agree on the snes rpgs.

I also agree about mario karts, being much more fun than that of high graphic racing games. Though i love the PGR series (starting from metropolis street racer) and those are also awesome for many things, including the graphics... so i contradict myself. (and also shed a tear for probably never again seeing another PGR in the francise..)

weasel fierce
December 22nd, 2012, 05:09 AM
For me "old school RPG" is more stuff like Pool of Radiance and Eye of the Beholder :)
Consoles were not common when I grew up but everyone had an Amiga

But all good stuff.

zombifier25
December 22nd, 2012, 05:23 AM
I still play the Crash Bandicoot series and Twisted Metal 2 once in a while on ePSXe.
Still remember playing them for the first time when I was 4 :)