PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit 12.10

harlie
December 14th, 2012, 01:26 AM
I am confused, I downloaded the image for 12.10 64 bit, I burned a disk and installed it on my new pc removing windows 8 to do so. This pc has a Intel Pentium processor G645 64 bit. Ok so now the details window shows that I have the 32 bit os and internet transfers are sllllooooooooowwwwwwww. So what version do I have 32 or 64 bit???? Why must we have these kinds of troubles with Ubuntu?????????

Harlie

oldfred
December 14th, 2012, 01:37 AM
There are two main ISO and many other images/versions to download. They incorrectly suggest the 32 bit down load as many users have old computers. With any newer computer you need the 64 bit version.

You should have downloaded this:
ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso

haqking
December 14th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I am confused, I downloaded the image for 12.10 64 bit, I burned a disk and installed it on my new pc removing windows 8 to do so. This pc has a Intel Pentium processor G645 64 bit. Ok so now the details window shows that I have the 32 bit os and internet transfers are sllllooooooooowwwwwwww. So what version do I have 32 or 64 bit???? Why must we have these kinds of troubles with Ubuntu?????????

Harlie

uname -m

will tell you what version you have, the default download is 32 bit.

As for "why" nothing is perfect, "why" do people need to ask such questions ;-)

grahammechanical
December 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Why must we have these kinds of troubles with Ubuntu?????????

Which version did you buy? The Ubuntu Home edition? The Ubuntu Enterprise edition? The Ubuntu Professional edition?

haqking
December 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM
which version did you buy? The ubuntu home edition? The ubuntu enterprise edition? The ubuntu professional edition?

lol

debodas
December 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Why must we have these kinds of troubles with Ubuntu?????????

Harlie

Sadly for the same reason we have troubles with windows, no OS is perfect. (No, not even OSX :p)

Looking at it, I'd say you downloaded the 32bit iso by mistake.
Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop, and redownload it.

NOTE - the 'default, recommended' option is 32 bit. You will need to change that to 64 bit before you start the download, otherwise you'll get a 32 bit iso again

deadflowr
December 14th, 2012, 09:12 PM
The reason why 32-bit is recommended is because A) 32-bit will run on either 32-bit or 64-bit PCs(64-bits only run on 64-bit PCs), and B) unlike Windows, where it is one disk one machine, Ubuntu can install multiple times on multiple PCs.
Just because you might download Ubuntu on a 64-bit system does not mean that it will be the system that you will be installing it on.

Follow the advice above on downloading the 64-bit version, and don't worry about the amd64.iso tag, the amd64 is a trademark thingy or something. It'll work on most(not sure about all)x86_64 systems.

Slim Odds
December 14th, 2012, 09:23 PM

Harlie
Running 32 instead of 64 will NOT, I repeat, NOT make your "internet transfers" sllllooooooooowwwwwwww....
That is some other problem!

QIII
December 14th, 2012, 09:28 PM
AMD64 is an accident of history. AMD managed to barely squeak past Intel in bringing a 64 bit processor and instruction set to the consumer market first, so the name stuck.

You'll often see references to x64 or x86-64 these days, too.

IA64 is specific to Intel's Itanium series of processors.

harlie
December 15th, 2012, 01:25 AM
There are two main ISO and many other images/versions to download. They incorrectly suggest the 32 bit down load as many users have old computers. With any newer computer you need the 64 bit version.

You should have downloaded this:
ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso

This is what I downloaded and installed but I got 32 bit.

haqking
December 15th, 2012, 01:26 AM
This is what I downloaded and installed but I got 32 bit.

show us the output of

uname -m

Bucky Ball
December 15th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades

If you have a 32bit OS installed then you've installed a 32bit OS. Period. AMD64 for all 64bit machines, AMD or Intel ...

harlie
December 16th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Now I have the 64 bit and it is working well for now. Probably downloaded the wrong one in the beginning.

Harlie

haqking
December 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Now I have the 64 bit and it is working well for now. Probably downloaded the wrong one in the beginning.

Harlie

Really ? no way ! ;-)

Remember to use the thread tools to mark as solved.

Cheers