PDA

View Full Version : windows 8 uefi thumb drive won't run

bergeo
December 13th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I just bought a new HP computer with Windows 8. I installed an ssd as a second drive, and I want to install Ubuntu onto the new drive so I can dual boot.

I created a bootable thumb drive with 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10. I verified it works by using it to boot into Ubuntu on an old Windows XP box.

When I try to bootstrap from the thumb drive on my new Windows 8 box I get the grub menu okay, but when I select either 'run Ubuntu' or 'install Ubuntu', the screen turns black and then nothing happens.

Any suggestions? I'm a novice at this stuff so please don't assume much knowledge on my part.

randommanaki
December 13th, 2012, 07:30 PM
An obvious question, i'm sure, but did you make sure you are booting the USB drive in UEFI mode?

bergeo
December 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Not obvious to me! :)

I assume though that it's booting in UEFI mode, based on how I got there. I held down the shift key and selected 'restart' from Windows 8. It then offered me a choice of devices to boot from. The one I selected said "UEFI: KingstonDT 101 G2 100". (The thumb drive is made by Kingston.)

bergeo
December 13th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I got Ubuntu to come up. I disabled secure boot as described here: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20121126#qa

Then when I rebooted and selected 'Try Ubuntu without installing', it came up instead of just hanging. I next need to install it and see if I can dual boot, but at least I'm past the dead black screen now.