PDA

View Full Version : intel graphics ubuntu 13.04

nomenkultur
December 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I can't really run ubuntu 12.10 on this laptop as the embed intel gfx for some reason doesn't load the proper driver in 12.10 or mint 14.

I would like this to be rectified in 13.04 so I have looked and it does appear as it loaded the i915 driver and acceleration is achieved

however when trying to use webgl in gmaps it saysmy system is not able to, while in 12.04, fedora 17, etc it enables webgl without problems.

also in control panel -> details it shows my graphics as "unknown" and my driver as unrecognized.

dino99
December 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
which intel graphic chip/card is it ?

grahammechanical
December 13th, 2012, 03:25 PM
This

also in control panel -> details it shows my graphics as "unknown" and my driver as unrecognized.

means nothing. It has been around since the details page was first introduced. There were times in the past when it would give me some information and then it would revert back to 'unknown.' I used to think that it was the difference between using the open source or closed source video driver. But I am wrong.

I put this bug under the heading of "It seemed like a good idea at the time," and I forget about it.

Regards.

nomenkultur
December 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM
gm45

in elementary os (12.04) it works perfectly

intel mobile generation 4

12.10 doesn't work at all (reverts to software driver)

and in 13.04 it seems to load i915 kernel driver but no webgl and the dash is painfuuuuuuuuuly slow

http://youtu.be/qNxrP3BI_DE?t=5m49s

nomenkultur
December 13th, 2012, 04:21 PM
This

means nothing. It has been around since the details page was first introduced. There were times in the past when it would give me some information and then it would revert back to 'unknown.' I used to think that it was the difference between using the open source or closed source video driver. But I am wrong.

I put this bug under the heading of "It seemed like a good idea at the time," and I forget about it.

Regards.

I also saw the same behavior on a compaq laptop from someone I know.

it has a newer intel laptop card but ubuntu refuses to acknowledge it.

there are only open source intel drivers and they should work by default.

I find this strange because it works flawlessly in 12.04, fedora, mageia etc etc etc

so it certainly is something canonical did

ventrical
December 13th, 2012, 06:47 PM
There is no ubuntu 'alpha 1' 13.04.

sammiev
December 13th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I had to install mesa-utils to see what video card I had in the details section.

serdotlinecho
December 14th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Install mesa-utils and use this commands:

~$ sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL | head -n3

nomenkultur
December 14th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Install mesa-utils and use this commands:

~$ sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL | head -n3

:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

5 star reply.

graphic card showing
correct driver showing

dash is much faster...

AND

MapsGL enabled

"
Welcome to MapsGL!
We've rebuilt Google Maps from the ground up. Our enhanced Maps pr"

someone forward this reply to canonical so 13.04 can have this as default.

edit: ventrical I saw it at phoronix and another site, canonical even had a graph with a descending line saying " december 6 alpha 1"

deadflowr
December 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
:

edit: ventrical I saw it at phoronix and another site, Canonical even had a graph with a descending line saying " december 6 alpha 1"

This is actually a mislead. Ubuntu, itself will only have a late in development beta release, however the family of flavors such as edubuntu kubuntu and xubuntu have a choice as to whether or not they want to release alphas or not.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RaringRingtail/ReleaseSchedule

rrnbtter
December 14th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Greetings,

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
glxinfo | grep OpenGL | head -n3
+1
Amazing results! And I was happy without it!
rrnbtter

thotz
December 17th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't know why Ubuntu doesn't ship mesa-utils by default. There is always this question in every development cycle.

Is there a bug filed about this? Or is it a problem to ship mesa-utils per default?

zika
December 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I don't know why Ubuntu doesn't ship mesa-utils by default. There is always this question in every development cycle.

Is there a bug filed about this? Or is it a problem to ship mesa-utils per default?
CD space is already used and there is overflow...

thotz
December 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM

It's not that big. And it's shipped I think in Fedora (already tested) and in openSUSE (also think it is).

But I understand you.

I have filed a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa-demos/+bug/1091214

zika
December 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
It's not that big. And it's shipped I think in Fedora (already tested) and in openSUSE (also think it is).

But I understand you.

I have filed a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa-demos/+bug/1091214It's not me that make any kind of decisions there. Just noticing...

thotz
December 19th, 2012, 01:04 PM
It's not me that make any kind of decisions there. Just noticing...

I know :)

So, if someone wants to check the status of this bug please do it here (my bug report was a duplicate).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa-demos/+bug/914631

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Greetings
Originally Posted by zika http://ubuntuforums.org/images/rebrand/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12408858#post12408858)

Perhaps with Steam making it's debut and games being ported to Linux, the Linux community will discover that there are these things called DVD's and that they hold more data than CD's. Ultimately the residual Jaunty crowd will get over it. I'm thinking!

rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist! Until Friday!

zika
December 19th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Greetings
Perhaps with Steam making it's debut and games being ported to Linux, the Linux community will discover that there are these things called DVD's and that they hold more data than CD's. Ultimately the residual Jaunty crowd will get over it. I'm thinking!

rrnbtter
Too much resentment about the „problem“ that could be solved with a single line in terminal...
Greetings from someone that do not feel any shame of being a member of „jaunty crowd“...

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Greetings,
Original by Zika

Greetings from someone that do not feel any shame of being a member of „jaunty crowd“...

My apologies to the Jaunty crowd. Actually I didn't know there were any left. It was a tongue in cheek statement.
However we could learn something from Debian that is shipped on CD, DVD, USB image, Blue Ray, Net Install Image, etc.

rrnbtter

jerrylamos
December 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by rrnbtter

There's also this thing called "internet" so I download .iso and boot them direct. So Ubuntu could expand to many gigabytes. I wouldn't want to run it.

To me the virtue of the CD was it tended to keep ubuntu down to size. Now with 4G DVD's they can pile lots and lots of stuff in that I'll never ever ever use. Launcher has stuff I never ever use. etc.

On the other hand they've dropped things I use all the time like gparted, synaptic, flashplugin, zsync, and file sharing on my local network never works unless I do an apt-get install samba. I have a setup exec to get software sources preferences, update preferences, and install a bunch of the stuff they've dropped out.

I've tried "mini" which was a bear. At 1.5 MB internet it took forever and I was always forgetting some useful utilities,

BTW, sometimes I just want to do something with a live boot so I use linuxmint-14 which saves the bother of installing flashplugin plus is easier for me to setup dual monitors etc. Booting from the mint .iso file is about like booting installed raring.

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Greetings,
Regarding the OP, at least the Intel and Mesa is still supported. My information says that Ubuntu is dropping ATI for lack of any kind of compatibility support or something like that. The 386 processer is being dropped. I can see a deer in my headlights that has a CD-ROM on his forehead. It just a matter of what hardware will use RR and that hardware will most likely have a DVD or BlueRay and most certainly a USB.

rrnbtter

zika
December 19th, 2012, 02:19 PM
There's also this thing called "internet" so I download .iso and boot them direct. So Ubuntu could expand to many gigabytes. I wouldn't want to run it.

To me the virtue of the CD was it tended to keep ubuntu down to size. Now with 4G DVD's they can pile lots and lots of stuff in that I'll never ever ever use. Launcher has stuff I never ever use. etc.

On the other hand they've dropped things I use all the time like gparted, synaptic, flashplugin, zsync, and file sharing on my local network never works unless I do an apt-get install samba. I have a setup exec to get software sources preferences, update preferences, and install a bunch of the stuff they've dropped out.

I've tried "mini" which was a bear. At 1.5 MB internet it took forever and I was always forgetting some useful utilities,

BTW, sometimes I just want to do something with a live boot so I use linuxmint-14 which saves the bother of installing flashplugin plus is easier for me to setup dual monitors etc. Booting from the mint .iso file is about like booting installed raring.
Due to improper quoting that @rrnbtter uses now his words are quoted as mine in Your post... Please correct that... Thank You...

zika
December 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Greetings,
Regarding the OP, at least the Intel and Mesa is still supported. My information says that Ubuntu is dropping ATI for lack of any kind of compatibility support or something like that. The 386 processer is being dropped. I can see a deer in my headlights that has a CD-ROM on his forehead. It just a matter of what hardware will use RR and that hardware will most likely have a DVD or BlueRay and most certainly a USB.

rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist! Until Friday!ATI is by no means dropped in Ubuntu... Open-source driver is getting better and better every day...
Please use quoting the way it is customary here on the Forum so other people would not have trouble answering on Your posts and Your writting would not be attributed to other memebres of Forum...

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Greetings,

Due to improper quoting that @rrnbtter uses now his words are quoted as mine in Your post... Please correct that... Thank You...
Good grief! Whats the correct way to quote! Just doing what I could figure out!

rrnbtter

zika
December 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Greetings,

Good grief! Whats the correct way to quote! Just doing what I could figure out!

rrnbtter
Use „Quote“ button...
You can see above why I'm complaining...
Your words are attributed to me...

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Greetings,
Thanks for the quote instructions. I will see if I can hunt down the ATI release. Just ran across it yesterday on one of the technology sites.

rrnbtter

zika
December 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Greetings,
Thanks for the quote instructions. I will see if I can hunt down the ATI release. Just ran across it yesterday on one of the technology sites.

rrnbtter
Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist! Until Friday!I wrote about open-source driver... You do need to „hunt it down“...

Elfy
December 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Greetings,

rrnbtter

Use „Quote“ button...
You can see above why I'm complaining...
Your words are attributed to me...
You can also use the multiquote button (to the right of quote) with the quote button to quote multiple posts, you can change the order as I have done here.

Further you can quote posts from other threads, just a bit fiddlier.

Always best to quote properly if you can - not so much here - but elsewhere improperly quoting things can lead to trouble for people.

zika
December 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
You can also use the multiquote button (to the right of quote) with the quote button to quote multiple posts, you can change the order as I have done here.

Further you can quote posts from other threads, just a bit fiddlier.

Always best to quote properly if you can - not so much here - but elsewhere improperly quoting things can lead to trouble for people.Thank You...

rrnbtter
December 19th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Greetings,
I think this goes away from the original OP but the ATI information I was referring to is here https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+question/213017 however it appears to me after rereading that it is AMD that is dropping closed driver support for linux on some ATI card versions. The result is still a work-around however. There are also other links available on the same subject. I will leave it to you to do your own google-ing.

rrnbtter

PS: I'm out of here!

zika
December 19th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Greetings,
I think this goes away from the original OP but the ATI information I was referring to is here https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+question/213017 however it appears to me after rereading that it is AMD that is dropping closed driver support for linux on some ATI card versions. The result is still a work-around however. There are also other links available on the same subject. I will leave it to you to do your own google-ing.

rrnbtter

PS: I'm out of here!First You wrote that Ubuntu is dropping ATI and now You write that ATI is dropping proprietary driver support for linux on some ATI card versions... These are two very different things...
I've done my Google-ing about that in Janty time and I've beeng doing that since then...

PS: I'm staying here...

thotz
December 20th, 2012, 04:54 PM
According to the bug in launchpad it's fixed now.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa-demos/+bug/914631

kevpan815
December 20th, 2012, 11:53 PM
13.04 is working just fine with my Intel Processor and Intel Integrated Graphics Card on my Dell 1012 Mini Netbook with AMD64 13.04 installed. And that's even though I bought this system on a close out sale in 2010.

nomenkultur
December 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
if this was such a trivial matter like the correct display of the name of the graphics driver I wouldn't even have looked into it.

Fact is without mesa and the codes that were posted I could not even activate WebGl.

I would also ask canonical to look into performance in intel gfx cards:

ubuntu 12.04 is smooth and fast and as you can see from the video I posted the dash experience in 13.04 is sluggish at best.

ubuntu 12.10 for me is a no go simply because of intel gfx glitch that won't even start the driver.

is anyone able to burn ubuntu on a cd? I'm using dvd's now