PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Biggest gripe with the HUD

Carbs70
December 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Been using Ubuntu for 3-4 years now... and enjoy the stability and flexibility offered when compared to MS.

But... after working with 12.04 for several months now, I've got one huge gripe with the HUD concept..... I'm forever looking for "that app I used a few months back...what was it called?"... HUD really stifles me in that sense, because if I can't remember the name of the App then I've got a hard time to locate it?! Or am I missing something here?

For example... there was an app I used once to create some AVIs from assorted clips and graphics and stuff... liked it, but damned if I can remember what it's called.

- Go to Hud.... not in recent apps
- Afew fruitless attempts at searching for the name.... hmm.. nope, no luck
- *sigh* open the list of 497 installed apps, and slowly siphon through them until a name or icon sparks my memory

In this case, it still didn't help. In fact, I found the app by going into the Software Centre and opening the Installed Tab to help me find via an "old-style" menu system!

Surely, a major shortfall with the HUD search is that it's only intuitive if you're very familiar with all your software... but a pain to find something by category!

Or am I alone on this one??

zombifier25
December 13th, 2012, 09:21 AM
First of all, it's not the HUD, it's the Dash. The HUD is used to search for the menu of applications.

Secondly, have you tried searching by categories? It'll give you a somewhat classic-like navigation through apps. Open the Dash, click the second icon to search for apps, and choose "Filter Results".

Cheesemill
December 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Did you try searching for 'video'?

If I do that on my system it comes up with all the apps that have anything to do with videos, whether or not video is in the name.

montag dp
December 14th, 2012, 05:09 AM
That was my biggest issue with Unity as well. To me, the menu should be a basic feature of any desktop environment. I switched to KDE on my work desktop and Cinnamon on my laptop and like them both much better.

jerome1232
December 14th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Out of curiosity, try using the filter as suggested and see if it comes up. It's what I use when I know I have a function I want done but am not sure what programs I have installed do such a task.

zombifier25
December 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
That was my biggest issue with Unity as well. To me, the menu should be a basic feature of any desktop environment. I switched to KDE on my work desktop and Cinnamon on my laptop and like them both much better.

You can add a menu to Unity: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/use-classic-menu-in-unity-classicmenu.html

montag dp
December 15th, 2012, 12:59 AM
You can add a menu to Unity: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/use-classic-menu-in-unity-classicmenu.htmlInteresting to know, thanks. I'll stick with other DEs but I might suggest this to others using Unity.

Buntu Bunny
December 16th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Or am I alone on this one??

Definitely not alone, LOL. That and things like wanting to browse games. Typing in "games" only listed one or two. With a menu I know I have about 16 or so to choose from.