PDA

View Full Version : File Naming Heirarchy

Corelogik
December 13th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Hello, kinda newb here with the Linux structure stuff. I'm looking for some guidance concerning the order of file naming within a folder.

In my Windows 7 partition, Windows puts files/folders with names starting with characters and numbers at the top of the respective piles and then orders by name.

It appears that my Ubuntu partition, does not organize things that way.

I have things organized by name, and I think with folders first, is there a way to emulate the Windows system where files with characters and numbers are placed first?

See attached pic for how my layout is currently showing. I will get a screenshot of how Windows does it, next time I boot back into Windows. So far In a week and counting,.. LOL

For example, I would like the folder that begins with "!" at the top and then the files that begin with 20 at the top of the files list.

Wim Sturkenboom
December 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM
To my knowledge, that does no longer work in Ubuntu / Nautilus. I had a system where folders, that I wanted at the top of the list, started with an underscore.

The reason why it does not work is that 'they' use a natural sort that ignores this type of approach. Your only way is to start with a number of you want it at the top of your list.

With regards to natural sort
a normal sort will sort numbers like 1, 11, 12, 13, 2, 20 ,21, ... while a natural sort will sort these same numbers like 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 20, 21

Corelogik
December 13th, 2012, 06:46 AM
That does no longer work in Ubuntu / Nautilus. I had a system where folders, that I wanted at the top of the list, started with an underscore.

The reason why it does not work is that 'they' use a natural sort that ignores this type of approach. Your only way is to start with a number of you want it at the top of your list.

With regards to natural sort
a normal sort will sort numbers like 1, 11, 12, 13, 2, 20 ,21, ... while a natural sort will sort these same numbers like 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 20, 21

Copy that. I'll play around with various numbering systems then. Thank you.