PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04LTS: Kernel Updates now fail ...

Youngblood52
December 12th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I will try again ... losing the .jpg images and imbedding text instead ...

Older home-rolled desktop system, 3.06GHz HT P4 with 2GB RAM and plenty of HDD space.

Dualboot XPPro & 12.04LTS. OSs installed last summer and Ubuntu updates ran smoothly ... until a month, or so, ago.

My startup/selection screen shows kernel 3.2.0-32-generic-pae. The initial problem occurred during an update group that first included 3.2.0.33 ... it returned a FAIL message.

I also have 2 laptops with 12.04LTS loaded (both dual-boots, one, each, XPPro & Vista) and they have experienced no such issues.

Now the updates include 3.2.0.34 and this also fails. While the startup/selection screen reflects 3.2.0.32, the Update Manager indicates that the currently-installed Kernel is 3.2.0.33.

Below I have pasted the details of the FAIL message. After carefully perusing this info, it appears to me that system SOP is to attempt Install twice.

Early-on, I turned off HT in BIOS and let the Update Manager try the .33 update again ... No Joy.

Thank you for helping me this corrected!

Kim

"update-manager"
"Package operation failed"
"Details"

installArchives() failed: Setting up linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae (3.2.0-33.52) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-runlilo 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
Fatal: No images have been defined.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-runlilo exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae.postinst line 1010.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Setting up linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae (3.2.0-34.53) ...
Running depmod.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-runlilo 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae.postinst line 1010.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-generic-pae:
linux-image-generic-pae depends on linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae; however:
Package linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-generic-pae (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic-pae:
linux-generic-pae depends on linux-image-generic-pae (= 3.2.0.33.36); however:
Package linux-image-generic-pae is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-generic-pae (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
linux-image-generic-pae
linux-generic-pae
Setting up linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae (3.2.0-33.52) ...
Running depmod.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-runlilo 3.2.0-33-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae.postinst line 1010.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae (--configure):
Setting up linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae (3.2.0-34.53) ...
Running depmod.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-runlilo 3.2.0-34-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic-pae
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae.postinst line 1010.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-generic-pae:
linux-image-generic-pae depends on linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae; however:
Package linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-generic-pae (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic-pae:
linux-generic-pae depends on linux-image-generic-pae (= 3.2.0.33.36); however:
Package linux-image-generic-pae is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-generic-pae (--configure):

Youngblood52
December 13th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I have replaced the original JPG images with text ... easier to follow this way.

ibjsb4
December 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Try a dist-upgrade. #3

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto#Maintenance_commands

Youngblood52
December 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Thank you, ibjsb4!

The terminology "dist-upgrade" gave me pause, since I wish to keep 12.04LTS (I actually waited for the LTS to standup these systems).

After thoroughly researching apt-get dist upgrade I ran the command.

Unfortunately, the result was same ... the message lines produced were familiar to me from the original FAIL message.

ibjsb4
December 13th, 2012, 05:58 PM
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Youngblood52
December 13th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the continuing assistance, ibjsb4, but that produced more of the same.

Since, from what I read in these message lines, 34 seems to depend upon 33 being properly configured (and it, apparently, is not) ... perhaps if I could remove the 33 package (or both 33 & 34) ... and then depend upon new downloads?

Is it possible that the 33 package carried a flaw with it when downloaded?

Just thinking out loud.

ibjsb4
December 13th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Give it a shot, just be sure your not removing the active kernel. That would render your system useless.

uname -a

NM5TF
December 13th, 2012, 06:46 PM
same problem here after update to kernel 3.2.0-34....

I was able to get back to a working kernel by following
advice in this post...

see if this applies to you also, go here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2089885

Tommy

Youngblood52
December 13th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Looks like a different thing, Tommy, but thanks for responding!

ibjsb4, I have now spent much more time on this today than I had planned ... but isn't that the way it always happens? ;)

During my extended remove/purge efforts with 33 and 34, 34 was actually installed ... but with persistent issues (which seem to be a result of 33 having never been installed).

So ... I have just about accepted the fact that I am going to have to backup important data, wipe the partition & reinstall 12.04LTS before I get this system running smoothly again.

I thank you for your kind assistance with this!

Kim

dannyboy79
December 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM
WHY would you do a whole reinstall. just use the kernel that works, you still have the 32 version kernel to boot into don't you? I guarentee there's no mind blowing advancement in a newer version kernel. But it's your system so do what you want I suppose. Couldn't you just try to redownload the kernel by clearing the apt-cache?

ibjsb4
December 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM
+1

Youngblood52
December 14th, 2012, 01:06 AM
WHY would you do a whole reinstall. just use the kernel that works, you still have the 32 version kernel to boot into don't you? I guarentee there's no mind blowing advancement in a newer version kernel.If I stop getting the error icon on the taskbar when I run it with 32, I will consider running it, as is, with 32. If not, I may try 31 ... or just apply the nuclear option and start clean.

Thank goodness this is not happening to my primary Ubuntu system.