PDA

View Full Version : IYO what is the most good-looking linux distro

asifnaz
December 12th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I am looking to install it on a spare PC . I will really appreciate if somebody could suggest me a good looking Linux distro .

For a hint , I like Mac OS X GUI

ohnonot
December 12th, 2012, 07:45 AM
i think the good thing about linux is that it is so customizable. meaning you can install almost any distro and with a little extra work make it look the way you want.

but if you want one that looks like mac os out of the box, i'm sure there's sth at distrowatch.com

drawkcab
December 12th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I think PearOS explicitly seeks to build an iOS-like Gnome3 experience. Luninux also comes to mind.

sffvba[e0rt
December 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I think PearOS explicitly seeks to build an iOS-like Gnome3 experience. Luninux also comes to mind.

+1 if you are looking for an OSX look-alike straight out of the box.

mJayk
December 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I really thought Fed 17 was really bootiful

haqking
December 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM
All linux distros look the same (white text on a black baackground)

It is the DE and WM which gives it a look, and you can install any DE on any Distro so they can all look the same (with the exception of Unity shell) which I believe can only be used on the Gnome Shell in Ubuntu

IMO if you want good looks and customisation of those looks then choose any distro which comes as default with KDE or install KDE into your distro of choice (KDE can be resource intensive though)

mJayk
December 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
^-- everybody knows what he ment

haqking
December 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM
^-- everybody knows what he ment

Really ? Well you posted Fedora 17.

Which one, cause the Gnome, LXDE, KDE, XFCE all look different ;-)

https://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

Grenage
December 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I've always assumed a 'Linux distro' to be a Linux distro with its default settings. Otherwise it's a bit like like modifying a car, and then reviewing it as stock. ^^

Fedora for me, too.

haqking
December 12th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I've always assumed a 'Linux distro' to be a Linux distro with its default settings. Otherwise it's a bit like like modifying a car, and then reviewing it as stock. ^^

Fedora for me, too.

OK fair one.

So out of interest, how does Fedora 17 look different to another Distro running Gnome 3.4 ? What is the "look" ?

I'm not being pedantic, I genuinely am interested what the "look" difference is ?

Cheers

mamamia88
December 12th, 2012, 02:18 PM
There is no best looking distro. A distro is just a collection of other projects that has been put together to serve a specific goal. What runs on one will run on another.

asifnaz
December 12th, 2012, 02:37 PM
OK fair one.

So out of interest, how does Fedora 17 look different to another Distro running Gnome 3.4 ? What is the "look" ?

I'm not being pedantic, I genuinely am interested what the "look" difference is ?

Cheers

You are right . Almost all linux distros are same only difference is cosmetic . Thats why I asked here for a distro which is good-looking out of the box .

For those who suggested KDE , I am sorry I don't like it :popcorn:

mamamia88
December 12th, 2012, 02:47 PM
You are right . Almost all linux distros are same only difference is cosmetic . Thats why I asked here for a distro which is good-looking out of the box .

For those who suggested KDE , I am sorry I don't like it :popcorn:

I'd probably go with mint then. Pretty good looking by default

BrokenKingpin
December 12th, 2012, 03:09 PM
For a hint , I like Mac OS X GUI
I will never understand how people think OS X looks good. I suppose people are entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.

rrnbtter
December 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Greetings,
For today, with where it stands today. Ubuntu 13.04. Amazing! Just brilliant on my Toshiba laptop. Can't wait for the Beta.
rrnbtter

ugm6hr
December 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I think PearOS explicitly seeks to build an iOS-like Gnome3 experience.

Pantheon DE has a simple clean interface reminiscent of OSX:
http://elementaryos.org/journal/luna-beta-1-released

It's default in Elementary OS Lune (beta now - link from above). I believe PearOS borrows some components from it.

TheMTtakeover
December 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks for that. Downloading now, I will be checking that out later today. Does anybody if it is built off of Ubuntu?

haqking
December 12th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that. Downloading now, I will be checking that out later today. Does anybody if it is built off of Ubuntu?

Ubuntu mini remix

Isnt PearOS french and has alot of french elements in it ?

TheMTtakeover
December 12th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Ubuntu mini remix
Thanks! I've never heard of that before. That's really cool though.

Warpnow
December 12th, 2012, 11:02 PM
DreamLinux is the best looking in my opinion.

hakermania
December 12th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Kubuntu

Mikeb85
December 13th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I think Ubuntu looks the best with minimal modification, just a wallpaper change and switching from Ambiance to Radiance themes.

I also think Chakra Linux looks great - by far the best looking KDE distro I've ever seen, possibly the best standard look period.

neu5eeCh
December 13th, 2012, 03:33 AM
The one that I can customize the most.

synaptix
December 13th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Xubuntu with XFCE 4.10

Primefalcon
December 13th, 2012, 09:32 AM
try this: http://smashingweb.info/install-mac-os-x-lion-theme-on-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin-linux-mint-13/

Linuxratty
December 13th, 2012, 07:04 PM
It's default in Elementary OS Lune (beta now .

Yup,tops the list,KDE is second.

Sylvatikus
December 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 with Faenza icons and a bit of a play with MyUnity. Yes yes, it isn't stock but on the other hand they are just minimal mods.

tartalo
December 13th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I don't use it myself, but I like the minimalist desktop of Crunchbang:
http://crunchbang.org/

MasterNetra
December 14th, 2012, 01:58 AM
The most good looking? A tad bit subjective don't you think? Just go throught the screenshots and/or distros themselves and decide which stock setup is best looking to you, beauty after all is in the eye of the beholder.

Sylvatikus
December 14th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I don't use it myself, but I like the minimalist desktop of Crunchbang:
http://crunchbang.org/

Why have you done this to me!!?? I've now gotta pull out the dinosaur and load it up with that just to see :/ Looks good though, they say it works 'out of the box' and is lightweight....;)

Grenage
December 14th, 2012, 09:28 AM
The most good looking? A tad bit subjective don't you think?

Indeed, which is why the thread title is "In your Opinion....". ;)

ubunterooster
December 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I think the question is what is the best-looking Desktop Environment; I think it's KDE for looks but find Unity to be most useful

addegsson
December 14th, 2012, 11:11 AM
ElementaryOS