PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I want my old Skype back

orhashahar
December 11th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I love having Ubuntu but sometimes is can be so complected...
My Ubuntu automatically upgraded my Skype to 4.1 few month ago and this time I am not so happy about that... I want my old Skype back!
I don't know exactly the number of the old version but the only thing i really remember from it (and miss) is the option to not see your own video (I don't know what about you but I keep staring at myself instead of in the person i'am talking with)

So please: How do I do that?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM
you may have the old deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives/

ls /var/cache/apt/archives/ | grep skype
if your old version is in there

cp /var/cache/apt/archives/mydeb.deb ~/Downloads/
then uninstall skype and install the deb in your downloads folder

orhashahar
December 11th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Sorry, but I am new at this. I promise to understand fast if you can explain a bit slower....

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM
When you install stuff a deb file is downloaded and stored in /var/cache/apt/archives/ the command i gave you will show you every deb file in there with skype in the name, by looking at the file name you can tell if what version it is
assuming the old deb is still there you can copy that deb file to somewhere permanent with the second command (edit the mydeb.deb part as needed)
then you can uninstall skype and install the old one from the deb you just copied
then be careful not to upgrade skype (google lock package synaptic)

orhashahar
December 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I am sorry but i still did not succeed... I opened the first code and there are so many .deb files there... Which file should i choose? and What do you mean with "somewhere permanent"?

Thank you so much for your quick help and patience :)
Happy Hanukkah

RicardoE
December 12th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Ok,

open a terminal, and run:

sudo apt-get remove skype

and then download one of the following:

for 32 bits:
http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-ubuntu_2.2.0.35-1_i386.deb

for 64 bits:
http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-ubuntu_2.2.0.35-1_amd64.deb

then just double click the corresponding one, and it will install the old skype again.

Just notice that, you wont be able to add contacts anymore, and it will halt and dissconect for no reason...

orhashahar
December 12th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Sorry, did all you told me to do and it's still doesn't work :)
Thank you any way