PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Save Thunderbird contents

borgward
December 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
My HDD is failing. How do I save the emails and address book in Thunderbird for new install on new drive. Ubuntu 10.04

In the event the new HDD arrives, is there a way I can transfer my present installation w/all its contents to the new drive? (I have already transferred most of my stuff to a spare drive)

haqking
December 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM
My HDD is failing. How do I save the emails and address book in Thunderbird for new install on new drive. Ubuntu 10.04

In the event the new HDD arrives, is there a way I can transfer my present installation w/all its contents to the new drive? (I have already transferred most of my stuff to a spare drive)

in your home directory, backup the .thunderbird folder which will be hidden

~/.thunderbirdif it is an old version it may be in the ~./mozilla folder i cant remember when it changed, most recent versions are in ~./thunderbird

All my emails are IMAP acounts so i dont back it up, i just connect back to the accounts and everything is there anyways

SuperFreak
December 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Someone may clarify this further, but I believe that emails are located under .Thunderbird/xyz.default/mail in the Home directory where xyz.default could be another combination of letters representing your profile. .Thunderbird is a hidden folder which can be found by pressing CTL-H when in the home directory. I think addresses can be exported from TB and saved on an external drive. Look under tools (open address book first)

edit:beaten to the punch