PDA

View Full Version : What's cheapest way of mailing small (200g, 11x8x6inches) package from USA to Austria

hanzj
December 11th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Dear U community,

Can anyone confirm my findings? USPS.com tells me that a 200-gram, 11-by-8-by-4-inch package from USA to Austria costs, at its cheapest, is $8.46 (First-Class MailŪ International Parcel). Next one up is $16.95 for Priority Mail Small Rate Flat Bax. Next one up is Priority Mail Intl Medium Flat Rate box at $47.95.

With Fedex, the cheapest option is FedEx Intl Economy $99.49.

UPS's cheapest is $136.45 for UPS Worldwide Expedited.

I can't believe Fedex and UPS prices are more expensive than USPS. I've always thought that Fedex and UPS could beat USPS's prices.

If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.

Bandit
December 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Personally I use the basic (16.95) Priority Mail option when I need to send things. Guess I just feel the flat box seems safer. Really depends on what your sending is worth to you. For legal documents I am a fan of Priority Mail. Its reasonably quick and priced accordingly.

mips
December 11th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Mail these guys and ask if they will deliver to Oz, http://www.postbox-courier.com/

mips
December 11th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I can't believe Fedex and UPS prices are more expensive than USPS. I've always thought that Fedex and UPS could beat USPS's prices.

From experience importing stuff USPS rates are usually lower than the courier companies.

scouser73
December 11th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Dear U community,

Can anyone confirm my findings? USPS.com tells me that a 200-gram, 11-by-8-by-4-inch package from USA to Austria costs, at its cheapest, is $8.46 (First-Class MailŪ International Parcel). Next one up is $16.95 for Priority Mail Small Rate Flat Bax. Next one up is Priority Mail Intl Medium Flat Rate box at $47.95.

With Fedex, the cheapest option is FedEx Intl Economy $99.49.

UPS's cheapest is $136.45 for UPS Worldwide Expedited.

Try TNT - http://www.tnt.com/wwtt/Prepopulator

hanzj
December 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Mail these guys and ask if they will deliver to Oz, http://www.postbox-courier.com/
Hi, Mips. VBulletin truncated my thread's title in everyone's responses. "Aus" is short for "Austria", not "Australia", just in case it makes a difference. ;)

Dr. C
December 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I would avoid UPS and FedEx when sending any package to Austria. The reason if the contents are subject to VAT in Austria these companies will more often than not will use this as a pretext to gouge the recipient with "brokerage" "bond" and similar fees. In Canada I have seen UPS collect 50 CAD to "broker" the collection of 3.50 CAD worth of GST on an item that was worth 50 CAD.

Stick with the USPS and you will save the recipient at lot of grief and expense. I would also avoid TNT or any private courier for the same reason.

hanzj
December 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks, Dr. C. USPS it is, then!

|{urse
December 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM
If you don't mind the extra wait, train carrier pigeons. Very affordable. :lol: