PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking for partition advice

singen
December 11th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Hi everyone. I'm planning on migrating over to ubuntu but I have some concerns about how I should go about partitioning. Currently I'm using windows 7 (installed on a 120GB ssd) along with a separate 1TB hdd. Here is how I currently have things set up.

120GB SSD
-120GB Windows partition

1TB HDD
-300GB Applications
-200GB Media (music)
-200GB Work
-300GB General Storage
(I've rounded the numbers for clarity)

I'm going to be doing some python coding and web development and I'd like to install a vm for it. In my situation how would you guys recommend I set up my partitions?

Thanks.

(btw I have 12GB memory)

1clue
December 11th, 2012, 02:39 AM
If it's going to be a VM, don't change anything. Find a spot with enough room and good filesystem characteristics and put your VM there. The VM will be a file or files on the host filesystem.

singen
December 11th, 2012, 02:42 AM
sorry, I should clarify that I'll be using ubuntu as my os (as in I'm replacing windows 7 with ubuntu) and likely another distro for the vm. I'm not sure how much space I need for vm, and that is the reason I mentioned it.

PapaNerd
December 11th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Exclusive of VM, my root partition has about 17G used, so 50G or so would be more than generous for the OS. Adequate swap space would be 2X the memory you have (or are planning) plus 10%.

singen
December 11th, 2012, 04:03 AM
So then do you think it would be appropriate to set my entire ssd as root and the hdd in its entirety as /home?

sammiev
December 11th, 2012, 04:12 AM
You can always keep your SSD for Win7 as a great backup if thing go wrong. Use the 1TB HDD for testing Linux OS as you can have multiple OS on the same drive. I have 3 Linux OS and one Windows OS all on the same drive.

Pjotr123
December 11th, 2012, 11:23 AM
No need for a hybrid solution if you configure the SSD right:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

Then you can use the platter disk for simple mass storage. :)

cybrsaylr
December 11th, 2012, 08:47 PM
No need for a hybrid solution if you configure the SSD right:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

Thanks for the link.Lots of good info.
Recently got a SSD and am using it mainly as a boot drive for 12.04, with a 2TB HDD for mass storage. Was wondering what has to be done to keep the SSD from wearing out prematurely.