PDA

View Full Version : How to make SystemsSettings remeber that RecordActivity should be off?

zika
December 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM
As above: If I go to SystemSettings>Privacy, toggle Record Activity to off, exit, it should remeber that... Yes?
Well, it does not...
It is like a faulty switch for light in refrigerator, You can check only if You open it...
Well, OK, I found out that it does not by having history in Dash... OK...
To emphasize: I do not ask this because I'm privacy freak, I'm performance freak...

ventrical
December 10th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Iv'e had it off for over a month now. It remembers it here.

Is that what you mean?

ventrical
December 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
As above: If I go to SystemSettings>Privacy, toggle Record Activity to off, exit, it should remeber that... Yes?
Well, it does not...
It is like a faulty switch for light in refrigerator, You can check only if You open it...
Well, OK, I found out that it does not by having history in Dash... OK...
To emphasize: I do not ask this because I'm privacy freak, I'm performance freak...

Ahhhh .. ok .. gotchya.. sort of like an infinite loop or a shorted switch.

mc4man
December 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Works fine here - off is off & stays that way
As far as any history in Dash you have to clear it all or previous will be retained

zika
December 10th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Works fine here - off is off & stays that way
As far as any history in Dash you have to clear it all or previous will be retainedKnow that. Cleared all, hecked if empty, tried switch for a couple of dozens of times before I've wrote my post...

mc4man
December 10th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Know that. Cleared all, hecked if empty, tried switch for a couple of dozens of times before I've wrote my post...
Nothing came back here till a restart, then re-activated as you've stated, sounds like a bug, what source not sure
(may take a look at the glib schemas & or overrides

Edit: -re-did with remove all history, disable, delete the complete ~/.local/share/zeitgeist folder
seems to still not show any recent in apps & file lens thru some restarts & log out/ins

Would I be surprised if it showed up again as enabled at some point - no

ventrical
December 10th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Wow .. this is really weird.. FireFox now does not remember that I have read these posts so when I go to the main forum the topic header is still highlighted.

lol :)

zika
December 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1088885

dino99
December 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Ubuntu Privacy, Thats a joke : as everywhere, all is recorded/shared via multiple tools such whoopie/zeitgeist localy but also sent to canonical (known) and NSA/... to know what you have read/seen/send/think/....

Even if you think to be safe via custom debconf settings (official propaganda), the best way to be safe is to drop all the modern communating tools (phone/pc/...) and only use a pencil :)

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

zika
December 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Ubuntu Privacy, Thats a joke : as everywhere, all is recorded/shared via multiple tools such whoopie/zeitgeist localy but also sent to canonical (known) and NSA/... to know what you have read/seen/send/think/....

Even if you think to be safe via custom debconf settings (official propaganda), the best way to be safe is to drop all the modern communating tools (phone/pc/...) and only use a pencil :)

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-doAll mentioned are turned off... To write it again: I'm a speed-freak not a privacy-freak (paranoia-type)... I do not mind so much about privacy, but... I do not want to search that database over and over again...

zika
December 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Judging by the Launchpad bug I mentioned above, I'm the only one having this „problem“...
I'll investigate further to see if I could be to blame...

mc4man
December 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM
From the other day (actually 2) it did return after a cold restart.
Since then hasn't, the setting has held after doing the same with one add.
disable in SS, disable online, clear history
edit .desktop -
sudo nano /usr/share/applications/activity-log-manager-ccpanel.desktop
change to StartupNotify=false

zika
December 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
From the other day (actually 2) it did return after a cold restart.
Since then hasn't, the setting has held after doing the same with one add.
disable in SS, disable online, clear history
edit .desktop -
sudo nano /usr/share/applications/activity-log-manager-ccpanel.desktop
change to StartupNotify=false
That did not work but You've gave me clue how to prove and illustrate what is happening here at my place:

:~$ gnome-control-center activity-log-manager

(gnome-control-center:1686): gnome-control-center-unity-WARNING **: testing load

** (gnome-control-center:1686): CRITICAL **: file blacklist-dbus.c: line 772: uncaught error: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.zeitgeist.Engine: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.Child Exited: Process /usr/bin/zeitgeist-daemon exited with status 21 (g-dbus-error-quark, 25)

(gnome-control-center:1686): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `gtk_widget_get_parent (child) == NULL' failed

** (gnome-control-center:1686): CRITICAL **: alm_files_widget_construct: assertion `blacklist_interface != NULL' failed

(gnome-control-center:1686): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref_sink: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gnome-control-center:1686): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_notebook_append_page: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)' failed

** (gnome-control-center:1686): CRITICAL **: alm_applications_widget_construct: assertion `blacklist_inter != NULL' failed

(gnome-control-center:1686): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref_sink: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gnome-control-center:1686): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_notebook_append_page: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)' failed

** (gnome-control-center:1686): CRITICAL **: alm_blacklist_get_incognito: assertion `self != NULL' failed

(gnome-control-center:1686): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(gnome-control-center:1686): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_object: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(gnome-control-center:1686): LibZeitgeist-CRITICAL **: Failed to create proxy for Zeitgeist daemon: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.zeitgeist.Engine: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.Child Exited: Process /usr/bin/zeitgeist-daemon exited with status 21

** (gnome-control-center:1686): CRITICAL **: alm_blacklist_get_incognito: assertion `self != NULL' failed

** (gnome-control-center:1686): CRITICAL **: alm_blacklist_set_incognito: assertion `self != NULL' failed

Now I have to findthat setting alm_blacklist_get_incognito and ...

mc4man
December 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Here that command comes up relatively clean

~$ gnome-control-center activity-log-manager

(gnome-control-center:3255): gnome-control-center-unity-WARNING **: testing load

(gnome-control-center:3255): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `gtk_widget_get_parent (child) == NULL' failed

Then the panel shows still disabled, ect.

VinDSL
December 13th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Here that command comes up relatively clean

~$ gnome-control-center activity-log-manager

(gnome-control-center:3255): gnome-control-center-unity-WARNING **: testing load

(gnome-control-center:3255): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `gtk_widget_get_parent (child) == NULL' failed

Then the panel shows still disabled, ect.
I get the same dialog...

vindsl@Zuul:~$ gnome-control-center activity-log-manager

(gnome-control-center:494): gnome-control-center-unity-WARNING **: testing load

(gnome-control-center:494): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `gtk_widget_get_parent (child) == NULL' failed

But, the panel always shows "Record Activity" is enabled, every time I check...

mc4man
December 13th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I get the same dialog...

(gnome-control-center:494): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `gtk_widget_get_parent (child) == NULL' failed

But, the panel always shows "Record Activity" is enabled, every time I check...
While I'm going to re-enable soon staying off here with nothing showing in the files lens other than default folders.
Don't think there is is reason it's staying disabled other than that's what it's supposed to do..

(did make me aware of yet another nautilus focus issue - default folders opened from files lens open behind FF & gnome-terminal, unity only

zika
December 13th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I get the same dialog...

But, the panel always shows "Record Activity" is enabled, every time I check...Now You're talking... I'm not alone. Go and check the bug report given above ...

zika
December 13th, 2012, 08:35 AM
While I'm going to re-enable soon staying off here with nothing showing in the files lens other than default folders.
Don't think there is is reason it's staying disabled other than that's what it's supposed to do..

(did make me aware of yet another nautilus focus issue - default folders opened from files lens open behind FF & gnome-terminal, unity onlySame here...

zika
January 28th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Still no way of making „RecordActivity>Off“ stick...
Still light in refrigirator on all the time... ;)

manishtech
June 7th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Looks like I found the issue. Due to some weird-ass reason, the application was crashing the daemon to which it connected to. Or maybe the daemon crashes long back before the app started
I reported the bug upstream too

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=65491

VinDSL
June 7th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I reported the bug upstream [...]
Thanks!

This issue is becoming increasing more important, as time goes by...

EXTRA CREDIT READING: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data