PDA

View Full Version : If you add to choose between learning GCC or PYTHON?

honeybear
December 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Hi,

If you have a limited time to learn to get excellence in your goals, i.e. learning coding, independently of prior coding experience...

which one between gcc and python would you choose between learning GCC or PYTHON?

:popcorn:

Nytram
December 10th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Hi,

If you have a limited time to learn to get excellence in your goals, i.e. learning coding, independently of prior coding experience...

which one between gcc and python would you choose between learning GCC or PYTHON?

:popcorn:

For Linux coding: Python.

For coding games, on any platform: C/++

As this type of question has the potential to start a language holy-war let me stress this is my opinion.

DeadSuperHero
December 10th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Ruby/Rails

Mikeb85
December 10th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Ruby or Clojure. I'd lean towards Ruby. For a compiled language, OCaml or Haskell.

Bachstelze
December 10th, 2012, 10:37 PM
You cannot "get excellence", whatever you mean by that, in "limited time". And this is not limited to programming.

(That said, you probably want Python.)

arclance
December 10th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Since I already know Python, Lua, and Octave I would personally pick C/++.
Python would be much easier to learn if this is your first programming language though.

elhancho
December 10th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Python or C/++

drmrgd
December 11th, 2012, 03:16 AM
What is it you intend to do with your new language once you learn it? That should help you decide. Want to hack away at the Linux kernel? Better learn C. What to do some back end web development, better learn Python. Just two examples, but you get the idea. See what languages what you want to do is coded in and start from there.

lisati
December 11th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I'd probably pick C/C++ over gcc, being that support for the language is more likely to be available over more platforms than any particular compiler. :D

JDShu
December 11th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Python is probably the easiest to learn.

llanitedave
December 11th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Python is a great first language for developing foundational skills and concepts, and a nice advanced language for scripting and general-purpose application building. If you need to push the limits of your hardware, then C/C++ is a logical follow-on, although many might recommend Java for that nowdays.

linuxcoffeelover
December 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Oh wow! guess I'll start with python too. Witch is great sense the gpio pins on the raspberry pi can be controlled with python. finally my linux powered coffee machine isn't just a dream.

chadk5utc
December 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
+1 For Linux powered Coffee

Oh wow! guess I'll start with python too. Witch is great sense the gpio pins on the raspberry pi can be controlled with python. finally my linux powered coffee machine isn't just a dream.

honeybear
December 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
+1 For Linux powered Coffee

I much prefer Language C.

To me, it is well-built. It is like VIM where every single thing is there, built to be fully working and remains flexible.

Python to me is messy...

Look this ANSI for Language C. It has something solid behind.

printf(%d, variable);

honeybear
December 15th, 2012, 11:52 AM

I have already made an OS for that. It runs under bash and python mostly.

I control all house devices with a remote controller.

I plan to use rj45 ethernet to let it talk in each room like in spaceships, but dont know how to do that. since audio cannot be transported via ethernet

arclance
December 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Look this ANSI for Language C. It has something solid behind.

printf(%d, variable);
You can do that in python too.

"%d" % variable

Primefalcon
December 15th, 2012, 06:10 PM
difficult choice.... python is a very quick and easy language to use, however for apps that need to squeeze every inch of performance..... you really need something that compiles down and there without coding in direct assembly C++ is king...

So tbh I can't vote.... right tool for the job as the saying goes..

if you asking what you should learn first... I'd say probably python since you'll be able to do more quicker and be more productive... but learning C++ will still be hugely beneficial when you need speed.... you can even have a lot of your programs written in python... and the loader hitting parts in C++ and a lot of people do!

mbohets
December 15th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Depends on what you want to code.

If execution speed is important, go for GCC, as it is a compiled language
if you want to quickly mock up a program and speed is not critical, go for python.

Python will in any case be easier to learn, as it is designed to be readable.