PDA

View Full Version : And now the "real" reason Valve created a Linux client

fatality_uk
December 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Linux based console anyone :)

http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles

Jakin
December 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I was reading about it earlier. You know what that means right? There is going to be some SERIOUS porting of games, out of neccesity, but good for all of us using linux ;D Might even be some linux exclusives (just maybe) won't that be a slap to MSFT face :lolflag:

drawkcab
December 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM
steam already has an xbmc-ish interface for your htpc that is game controller friendly

makes me wanna upgrade my htpc

mamamia88
December 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM
why would valve release a console that ships with an os incompatable with most games on steam? people are going to buy it thinking they can play everything on steam.

Bandit
December 10th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hope it pans out. This would mean a whole slew more games for linux users. Now if they would just invest more games for Mac :-(

mamamia88
December 10th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hope it pans out. This would mean a whole slew more games for linux users. Now if they would just invest more games for Mac :-(

hopefully they don't pull a netflix. making games available for stuff that runs linux like android and roku but not working on desktop linux distros.

forrestcupp
December 10th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I figured they would come out with a console, but this is a little different direction than I thought. I didn't think about them marketing it as a PC. It makes sense, though.

I'm sure if they start putting out Linux-based PC/consoles, there will be a mass move to port games to Linux. Who would want to miss out on something that huge? This is going to have a lot bigger market share than plain Linux desktop PCs.

Bandit
December 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM
hopefully they don't pull a netflix. making games available for stuff that runs linux like android and roku but not working on desktop linux distros.

True that..

DeadSuperHero
December 10th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I'm actually really happy to see Valve putting their money on Linux. I think their approach with going with the "SteamBox" is actually pretty unique. Instead of just releasing yet another console, with yet another new SDK, and convincing game devs to switch over and support yet another platform, they can just build on the Linux platform to ensure stability and a wide range of compatibility.

To me, that's a very viable approach to understanding the marketshare of desktop linux distributions. There isn't just one distro that everybody's using; there's lots of them. Over time, they'll be able to support more and more distributions, and they'll probably package up their client for quite a few different Linux systems.

Not to mention, Steam's a pretty great game distribution platform, and we'd probably see a surge in not only A-level titles, but Linux-native indie games as well.

doorknob60
December 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM

I don't think that will happen, considering they already have their stuff available on traditional Linux distros. Steam is a platform for PC (not just Windows) gaming, and it will stay that way. A Steam console will just be a PC specifically designed for Steam, with a great out of the box experience, without taking away the possibility of building your own PC (with Linux or Windows) to get a more customized, but similar, experience. Valve won't alienate their faithful audience (PC gamers, that enjoy building their own gaming PCs), they just want to expand to compete with the consoles as well :)