PDA

View Full Version : I want to put 2012 behind me soon

Welly Wu
December 10th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'm looking forward to putting 2012 behind me. On January 4th, 2012, I decided to switch to Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit and it was very rough for me. I was using Microsoft Windows since version 1.0 over two decades ago almost exclusively. I got tired of all the Microsoft problems and I literally ran out of money at the time trying to fix and support Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition SP1.

Switching from the Microsoft to the Canonical mindset was the toughest part for me. I hadn't used Ubuntu since version 9.04 for a few short weeks several years ago. Ubuntu 11.10 was completely different. It took me almost an entire year to learn how to use GNU/Linux and Ubuntu in particular before I began to enjoy it.

I wound up learning that I did not save as much money as I would have liked by switching to Ubuntu and I spent more time trying to turn off my Microsoft mindset as I was slowly learning the Ubuntu mindset. Everything was so different and new to me. It still kind of is today.

Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS helped me a lot. It fixed a lot of stability and performance problems with the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment. My old ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC died and I bought a new System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC on June 26th, 2012. That was the biggest change in my mindset switch over from Microsoft to Canonical. I went all in whole hog.

I think that I am still learning slowly about GNU/Linux and Ubuntu in particular. I had to learn how to stop being a full-time Windows systems administrator to being an ordinary Ubuntu home desktop user which is still taking its toll on me.

I think it was worth all of the pain and the financial costs and the time that I put in. System76 is a great company that stands behind their customers more than their products. It's a people first company that produces great products too. Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit is not the best release so far, but it is working out pretty okay for me so far. I find that each update and upgrade fixes more problems and it results in a more stable operating system that I can use daily.

I had qualms against Canonical for monetizing Ubuntu. However, I realized that I still continue to install and use a lot of closed source and proprietary software applications, code, firmware, device drivers, and patches. I have Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and I expect that sort of stuff from them, but I have learned to accept and live with Canonical's decisions to develop Ubuntu as a viable alternative to Apple and Microsoft while they keep the lights turned on.

I used to dislike the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment in Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit, but 12.10 64 bit has made more improvements in stability, features, performance, and unique capabilities. Now, I actually prefer it as my favorite desktop environment of choice. I installed Ubuntu Tweak which makes it more customizable and everything looks beautiful to my eyes and its pretty responsive.

I'm looking forward to Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit and beyond. I like the idea of installing and purchasing apps in the Ubuntu Unity Dash new feature and I like the Amazon search results because I shop on Amazon frequently. I wish that Ubuntu would support Blu-Ray encrypted discs native, but I understand that this may not come to fruition for quite some time.

I compared Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit to Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and I have to say that Canonical made the least worst decisions overall compared to Microsoft. Getting Windows 8 Pro 64 bit was another big mistake that I made in 2012. I just don't find it to be useful so far. There aren't a lot of killer apps for it yet.

2012 was a crucible for me. I am looking forward to 2013 and I want to put this year behind me like yesterday. I think that switching to Ubuntu was a wise decision that involved a lot of pain and sacrifices, but it was tolerable and I think it was worth it. I spent more money trying to fix and maintain Windows 7 64 bit and I was always concerned about the next Patch Tuesday.

I use VM Ware Workstation 9 64 bit with Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit in a guest virtual machine with Ubuntu as my host operating system. I find this is the safest and most secure way to do this.

I'm sticking with Ubuntu because I want the help and support from System76 for the next 1.5 years. I also want to see more big Linux ports coming to Ubuntu like Steam for Linux and others follow suit in 2013 and beyond. One of my goals next year is to buy more Amazon Kindle books about Ubuntu and pursue some LPI IT certifications.

3rdalbum
December 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for sharing your story.

I want to put 2012 behind me because I got made redundant twice in six months, and have had a few crises where we weren't sure if we would have a roof over our heads. But that's not really relevant now. Glad you're now converted to the Unity way of thinking too :-)

mips
December 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
What happened to all those other distros we heard about regularly that were the best and so much better than Ubuntu?

You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes

-Hot n Cold, Katy Perry, 2008

Sorry I could not resist :biggrin:

memilanuk
December 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM
yeah... I distro hop, don't get me wrong. But I do recall a rather lengthy thread over on the openSuSE forums about how much better it was than Ubuntu... ;)

OrangeCrate
December 10th, 2012, 04:35 PM
^, ^^,

Not to pile on, but yes, these threads are getting a little old...

DukeOfMixture
December 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I distro-hopped for the first several months when I switched to Linux. I've been using it about a year now and will never go back.

whatthefunk
December 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
You want the year to end because of an operating system??:-k

CharlesA
December 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Blame those Mayans! :p

memilanuk
December 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I figure I have a more legit reason to want to be done with 2012...

Started out the year by falling down or busting my behind on the ice about 5 times in the first three days of the year. Dang near impaled myself on a piece of firewood one of those times, and ended up breaking my tail bone (literally) on the last one. Having a job that involves a fair amount of sitting (12 hr shifts) made the recovery about 2 months of misery.

Went to the eye doctor about some vision issues, and they started running me thru a battery of tests (again) trying to see if I have glaucoma.

Then a few months later (April) I got electrocuted at work - contractor screwed up some wiring and I took 480V 3-phase (okay, technically 277 phase to ground) in one hand and out the foot that happened to be standing in a puddle - literally felt my knuckles and toes vibrate on that one. Someone else screwed up, I got zapped, and then I had to go pee in a bottle for governmental paperwork since I was the one receiving medical treatment.

Turned out no immediate apparent damage from the shock i.e. no burns or exit wounds, but I got handed another surprise: found out I had Type II diabetes. Freakin' wonderful.

About 3-1/2 weeks later, I suddenly blew out (herniated in a big way) a disk in my neck (C6-C7), right on the side where I got shocked earlier. 4 out of 5 doctors say no, no way thats related? Spent a couple weeks not able to lay down, not able to sleep, arm muscles spasming, etc. and then had the disc fused (bone graft + titanium plate), which took another 6 weeks plus out of what was left of my summer.

Then the elections in November... :(

Now, at the end of the year... yeah, I'm still on the right side of the dirt, my health is actually a good bit better than it was a year ago, and I know there are people who have had a lot rougher time than I. But I'm still ready to be done with 2012 ;)

QIII
December 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
The Maya disappeared because they did not use the right operating system.

sorc3r3r
December 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM

:twisted: Windows.

QIII
December 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
memilanuk -

Just fair warning, man. Diskectomies and fusions are the gift that keep on giving. I had two removed, a hemilaminectomy and C4, 5, 6 are fused.

I'd rather be forced to use MS Windows Millennium Edition for all eternity than this! ;)

vasa1
December 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM
But 2013 is moot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtj3gDaE64

Gremlinzzz
December 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM
^, ^^,

Not to pile on, but yes, these threads are getting a little old...

Very limited on what can be discussed,so a lot of threads end up in recurring
:popcorn:

Bandit
December 10th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Wow I wanted to read the OP post. But that wall of text knocked my socks off.. Anyone care to summarize, purhaps in a bulleted list? :confused:

forrestcupp
December 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM
You want the year to end because of an operating system??:-kLol. If that was the worst part of his year, he had a pretty darned good year. :D

Wow I wanted to read the OP post. But that wall of text knocked my socks off.. Anyone care to summarize, purhaps in a bulleted list? :confused:Basically, his year sucked because he struggled with operating systems, but he finally learned to like Unity, and he's excited to move into 2013 to see what Ubuntu will have for the future.

Bandit
December 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Basically, his year sucked because he struggled with operating systems, but he finally learned to like Unity, and he's excited to move into 2013 to see what Ubuntu will have for the future.

Well heck.. I will toast to that.. Drinks for all!! :D
This year did kinda blow. Glad it passed quickly for me.

Welly Wu
December 10th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I think that I should turn off my computer at night so I don't wind up with these kinds of threads. It should be a self-imposed ban for my own good.

I did not get accepted to Montclair State University. That's another good reason why I want to put this year behind me. I will apply to Kean University by June 1st, 2013 and I hope they will accept me because they have an acceptance rate of 70.4 percent. MSU accepts fewer than 50 percent of applicants.

I had a lot of health problems this year too. I'm being monitored at a hospital every month which was not the case back in 2011. I am on two safe but powerful medications which means that I can't drink alcohol even during the holidays which is not a lot of fun.

I'm expecting my doctor to tell me to take me off one of the medications by April 2013 if I get more exercise daily and I go on a low fat and low cholesterol diet, but it's not easy to change my habits. I still have to go to the hospital twice per month to get regular monitoring and treatments. I feel okay, but I'm constantly tired. I don't have a regular set sleeping schedule. I go to sleep at random hours during the day and night and I don't sleep soundly most of the time so I wake up at odd hours during the day or night and I can't go back to sleep again.

Can you imagine not being able to sleep at a regular time?

If I'm lucky, then I might be able to switch to another medication that has a sedative to help me to go to sleep at a regular time, but there are risks such as blindness or loss of sensation in my hands or feet. I could also get internal bleeding from ulcers as a side effect.

So, my health has been compromised this year and the best thing that I can look forward to next year is my doctor telling me to stop taking my statin which will reduce my risks for side effects given my medical history. If that happens, then I might not need to switch medications and I may be able to go to sleep at 10 PM at night again which I used to do in 2011 before all of this started.

My medical condition and health problems made it a lot harder to switch to GNU/Linux early this year. I can't go out with family or friends because I'm at risk for a stroke or heart attack and I've got risks for blindness or internal bleeding given my medical history due to past surgeries years ago.

Elfy
December 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I think that I should turn off my computer at night so I don't wind up with these kinds of threads. It should be a self-imposed ban for my own good.Given this I will close this now.