PDA

View Full Version : CrashPlan users

Welly Wu
December 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Disclaimer: I do not work for CodeFortyTwo Software and I am not affiliated with their employees at all.

I recently purchased CrashPlan+ unlimited home plan for three years for $119.99 USD. You can go to http://www.crashplan.com for more information.

CrashPlan offers remote and local data backup service for Microsoft, Apple, Solaris, and GNU/Linux customers and it is free of charge to use their CrashPlan+ software application to make local backups to an external drive or to a friend's PC. You have to pay to backup and restore your data from their CrashPlan Central data centers worldwide.

This is pure remote data backup and restoration services. There is no file sync or file sharing features yet.

The latest version of CrashPlan+ is 3.4.1 at this time. It automatically updates itself to the latest version after you download and install the app.

CrashPlan offers their app on Apple iOS and Google Android along with Microsoft Windows Phone.

They offer family plans to allow up to 10 PCs to backup to CrashPlan Central. They also offer enterprise plans too.

CrashPlan features data de-duplication. This means that they synchronize your files and check to make sure you don't upload the same identical files to any destination twice. This saves time and disk space for data backups.

They are one of the lowest cost and most affordable remote data backup service providers in the market right now.

Reviewers have given CrashPlan good comments thus far.

I just completed my initial CrashPlan+ remote data backup to their CrashPlan Central data center in Minneapolis, MN yesterday night at 9:30 PM EST. I uploaded 920.00 GB of data starting on October 26th, 2012 at 1 AM EST. Unfortunately, super storm Hurricane Sandy hit my home town and it knocked out electrical power for 6 days so take that into consideration.

If you are looking for pure remote data backup and restoration capabilities and you want to try it for free of charge, then CrashPlan+ offers it to Ubuntu users. If you know a friend or family member or relative that uses CrashPlan+, then you can have them send you an invitation with their backup code and you can download and install CrashPlan+ app and upload your data to their PCs for free. You can also have them backup their data to your PCs for free too. You can backup to a local drive for free too.

It's a pretty good service and it's reliable, but it's slow. I have Verizon FiOS fiber optic Internet and my upload speeds to CrashPlan Central did not exceed 2.00 Mbps. That's it's Achilles Heel right now. CrashPlan is aware of this problem, but they told me that they are investigating it further and they will provide more information to their customers when they pinpoint the causes of this problem and they will fix it.

If you need file synchronization and file sharing, then CrashPlan is not for you. I would recommend Spider Oak instead.

Check it out if you're interested.

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2012, 09:32 AM
four plus threads within a very short time on the same subject is close to being spam.

Closed