PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ubuntu One so expensive?

Welly Wu
December 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Seriously? Canonical is charging $2.99 USD or $29.99 USD annually for each additional 20.00 GB of cloud storage capacity for Ubuntu One right now. If you want more capacity, then you have to pay for each 20 GB increment. This means that Ubuntu One is much more expensive than Box, Amazon Cloud Drive, Google Drive, Microsoft Sky Drive, Sugar Sync, Spider Oak, etc. combined! Why are they charging a fortune for Ubuntu users?

This is price gouging the consumer. Ubuntu One is one of the most expensive cloud storage sync and file sharing service providers in the world!

Has anyone here paid for an additional 20 GB of Ubuntu One? If so, then why?!

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
You have no knowledge of Canonical's cost structure therefore calling this price gouging is FUD and wrong.

Mikeb85
December 10th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I paid for an additional 20GB. Why? It's not a bad price, Ubuntu is a free operating system after all, and Canonical's terms of use are ones I agree with.

Welly Wu
December 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
No, I don't know what it costs Canonical to provide Ubuntu One, but it is one of the most expensive cloud sync and file sharing service providers currently on the market.

DropBox is another expensive option. They charge $9.99 USD monthly or $99.99 USD annually for 100 GBs. Ubuntu One will charge you $14.95 USD monthly or $149.95 USD annually for 100 GBs. See the differences in prices? These are the two most expensive cloud sync and file sharing service providers on the market right now.

I understand that this is not cheap and it's a business for profit. It's expensive to host someone else's data safely and securely. However, Ubuntu One is the most expensive option right now.

How does Canonical expect to grow the number of Ubuntu One users worldwide by charging such high prices for their service?

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2012, 08:49 AM
$0.08c per day for 20GB is not bad, if its too expensive for you don't buy it.

Welly Wu
December 10th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Obviously, I won't purchase additional storage on Ubuntu One. Fortunately, I have gained an additional 20 GBs for free using their referral service.

Ubuntu One is convenient. I'm not saying that it's a bad service. It's just one of the more expensive options currently on the market which sucks for Ubuntu users.

Mikeb85
December 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Obviously, I won't purchase additional storage on Ubuntu One. Fortunately, I have gained an additional 20 GBs for free using their referral service.

Ubuntu One is convenient. I'm not saying that it's a bad service. It's just one of the more expensive options currently on the market which sucks for Ubuntu users.

I can't speak for all Ubuntu users, but it really isn't alot of money. I make more money in a day than 100GB a year costs, and I'm not exactly rich...

Welly Wu
December 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Good for you and thanks for sharing.

I've been researching cloud sync and file sharing service providers that support GNU/Linux including Ubuntu users and I have found that there are few affordable providers. Ubuntu One is not one of them. Spider Oak is a fair choice if you want to have it all except unlimited storage capacity.

I have three years of CrashPlan+, but that does not include file sync and file sharing at all. It's pure data backup.

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM
You are of course free to purchase any product you wish but do not make false statements about ubuntu one and or Canonical.

Welly Wu
December 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Alright. To be honest with you, it just struck me as kind of out of whack when I checked Ubuntu One's tiered pricing model.

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Alright. To be honest with you, it just struck me as kind of out of whack when I checked Ubuntu One's tiered pricing model.

I don't see why, price differences occur in just about any and all business sector .

Elfy
December 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments.Thread opened specifically to do exactly the opposite.

Closed.