PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel HD 4000 (Ivy Bridge) Drivers Ubuntu 12.10

rdettogni
December 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I am posting this again because things got worse with time.

After some automatic updates on Ubuntu 12.10 unity3D is now very very slow, it is slow even to type on the search bar. And the system starts sometimes saying that the video card was not recognized and I had to configure by my self. I have a intel core i5 3210m with the integrated HD4000. I though that the drivers were built in in the Kernel but this is not true I suppose.

Does anyone have any idea how to configure the Intel HD4000 graphics on Ubuntu 12.10?

These new integrated graphics are really good on windows 8 but are really terrible and slow on Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance!

darkod
December 9th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Have you tried searching for drivers on the Intel website? It is their responsibility to provide them, not only for windows.

But of course, many times manufacturers don't do this so the linux community has to jump in, and if the driver doesn't work perfectly they get the bad reputation, not the manufacturer. It is the manufacturer responsibility to provide drivers.

On the AMD website you have linux drivers for their graphics integrated in the CPUs/APUs.

rdettogni
December 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Yes I did! But on intel website they say that Intel drivers are built in in most linux distributions, although they have a dev chanel.

I have been trying Linux distros since 2004 (started with OpenSuse) and drivers for video cars have always been my major problems. I think is something with me. But thanks for the reply.

darkod
December 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Well even if they are included they should offer a download in their support section. AMD/ATI drivers are also included but you have option to download them from the website. In case you need them for what ever.

Intel usually has large selection of drivers, I'm surprised if they wouldn't be there.

I don't have much experience with video issues, but even if the driver is in the distribution, it might be different if you install it yourself. Just a guess... I especially have no experience with Intel HD.

na5h
December 9th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Sounds odd...as far as I know, HD 4000 Ivy Bridge should work out of the box. It works just fine on my i7-3610QM System 76 laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit). My current kernel is 3.2.0-34-generic.

Have you tried doing a fresh install of Ubuntu?

Edit: 12.10 appeared to be working just fine too when I tried it from a LiveCD.