PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant Install Ubuntu 12.04. Freezing after i select continue in wireless list

frezyt
December 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Im trying to install ubuntu on my Samsung RV511 laptop. Windows 7 cannot install anymore. It freezes up on the windows loading screen. So I Gave up and wanted to install Linux or Ubuntu. After numerous attempts on both installs. I can get inside Ubuntu Desktop using the USB Live Stick but when i try to install i can get up to where i select which wireless connection to use. . I select continue and it just does nothing. even left it for 3 hours in which it didnt change screen. Is it anything to do with the installs or maybe is it my SATA HDD giving me grief?? HELP. thanks:(

ohnonot
December 10th, 2012, 07:23 PM
happy to hear someone wants to make the change!!!

you obviously have a corrupted windows system.
did you create the usb from that corrupted system?

maybe you should try to create it from a clean computer.
even better, a cd.

so then, when trying to install, you should come to a point where it asks you how you want to install ubuntu, ithink it's sth like:

- alongside windows

anyhow, choose the most radical option. wipe the whole hd and make a fresh start.
this should come before the whole network question, unless, of course, you're trying to make a network install.

if this doesn't help please tell us where and what exactly (i'm not so familiar with the ubuntu installer) - it is definitely possible to install linux on your computer!

and the odds to your hd being physically corrupt, instead of your os being corrupt, are, like, 1 to a million$!

rrnbtter
December 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Greetings,
If the Win7 disk is also freezing it sounds like a chipset problem to me. However! I agree with "get a clean Ubuntu install disk" and then try to boot into the "Try Me" option. If you can operate the system from the Install Disk then it should install since you have validated your system with the driver package. Use the install link on the desktop for the installation. Also it wouldn't hurt to crc that installation disk. You can get a md5 code from the download page.
rrnbtter

ohnonot
December 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM
in my experience, 95% of what other forum mebers suspected to be a hardware problem turned out to be a software problem after all.

the OP said ******* "freezes up" on startup, but the ubuntu install hangs at some point, which can have other reasons. i'm not so familiar with the ubuntu 12.04 installer but isn't it possible that it waits for a network connection which just isn't there at the moment, maybe because a proprietary driver is missing... and then it just waits. and because of "user friendliness" you can't even see it, because there's no terminal window.

about the freezing, i just had to deal with a friends 2-months-old ******* laptop that took about an hour just to start up because of malware (the antivirus didn't even recognize it, wtf) - that might be interpreted as freezing up.

so, OriginalPoster, what will it be for you?

btw if nothing works anymore and you have nothing to lose, i have a little trick that helped me "make a clean start" on many machines.