PDA

View Full Version : What do you install for Friends/Family/Clients

Primefalcon
December 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM
This is a pure Ubuntu question nothing about other distros or OS's whatsoever..

I am just curious whether people opt for LTS or NON-LTS when installing for others...

Personally I tend to stick with the LTS's myself in this case... due simply to the longer support cycle... and usually advise upgrading minimum 6 months after a new LTS release is released, to allow the bugs to be properly ironed out...

KiwiNZ
December 9th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I install what they want, their computer, their choice.

Paqman
December 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I install what they want, their computer, their choice.

I think the implication was that besides installing it for them, there was an obligation to provide support, which makes a difference.

If I'm going to be responsible for supporting it: LTS unless there's a really compelling reason otherwise. Stability and a low requirement for intervention is what the LTS cycle is designed for.

Jakin
December 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Concidering they don't know that linux exists prior to my talking about it, i go with the same version of Ubuntu that i am using at the time, easy for them, and if they have a issue, i should be about to replicate and solve.

As far as the apps, they basically get a remastersys version of my current setup, which happpens to be kubuntu 12.04.1 amd64, so a custom LIVE CD (not a backup of my HOME) of what i use with all packages to make everything work in harmony.

monkeybrain2012
December 9th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Concidering they don't know that linux exists prior to my talking about it, i go with the same version of Ubuntu that i am using at the time, easy for them, and if they have a issue, i should be about to replicate and solve.

As far as the apps, they basically get a remastersys version of my current setup, which happpens to be kubuntu 12.04.1 amd64, so a custom LIVE CD (not a backup of my HOME) of what i use with all packages to make everything work in harmony.

What if they have different hardware and have different software needs from yourself?

AllRadioisDead
December 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Windows 7.

SPK201
December 9th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Well, I installed Linux on quite a lot (and sometimes old) machines for my relatives.

My grandpa got Ubuntu and didn't even complain once.
My mother uses Lubuntu, as her Laptop isn't the newest.
My gf uses Kubuntu.
At work are over 50 workmachines with Kubuntu.
As you can see it's most likely Ubuntu.

And I don't think about LTS or non-LTS. Just use the most recent version. lol

Personally, I prefer Arch or SUSE.
But imo Ubuntu is easier to maintain and provides almost every package one needs.

Jakin
December 9th, 2012, 03:11 PM
What if they have different hardware and have different software needs from yourself?

Only real difference would be whether they have 64bit or not, (and they do) everything else included would be the opensource drivers, it setup just like the original LIVE CD you download on ubuntu mainpage- just i have added a bunch of software. Certainly if they need other software, they could remove and add via the software centre. The inflated install is just over 2GB. We all don't have fast internet speeds, i included various software, so they wouldn't need to download themselves, certain encoders and the lot, where they might not know where to find all the packages for codecs, i took care of all that myself. Packages for old linux game compatibilites.. ect..