PDA

View Full Version : From Mandrake to Ubuntu

capitan.harlock
March 19th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Hello, everybody,
I just joined and I also have to decide if switching to Ubuntu and left Mandrake in My Past Things Archive :razz:
What I need are some opinion from Mandrake user themselves, especially about administration tools and multimedia (gtranscode, xine and mplayer above all); and, since wherever I go I'm "the Linux guy" do you think Ubuntu is a good choice for people which never touched anything else than Uncle Bill's and if you tell them "edit this file" they stare at you like you're a three-headed-octopus-like inhabitant of some far distant planet in the darker corner of Andromeda galaxy...? :-P

orion_114
March 19th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Ubuntu is a great system for the "average" user. Its great because it comes with all the stuff they need. OpenOffice Suite, CD Player, Firefox etc.
The administration tools side is still a bity lacking and you sometimes have to get your hands dirty a bit and go into command line. However with Synaptic installing programs is a breeze. So i think the only people that are going to have a problem with Ubuntu are the intermediate users who aren't prepared to get down and dirty but still want to fiddle.

bored2k
March 19th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Hello, everybody,
I just joined and I also have to decide if switching to Ubuntu and left Mandrake in My Past Things Archive :razz:
What I need are some opinion from Mandrake user themselves, especially about administration tools and multimedia (gtranscode, xine and mplayer above all); and, since wherever I go I'm "the Linux guy" do you think Ubuntu is a good choice for people which never touched anything else than Uncle Bill's and if you tell them "edit this file" they stare at you like you're a three-headed-octopus-like inhabitant of some far distant planet in the darker corner of Andromeda galaxy...? :-P
Welcome to the forums Cp. Harlock.

Im a past MDK user, and all I can say about it is that its Mandrake Control Centre is really good
and user/newbie friendly. Other things are just ok.

About Ubuntu being friendly to anyone , it really depends. If youre lucky enough to install it and have it recognise all your hardware, yes it is the easiest distro around, specially based on .debian [all downloads from just an application -- far better than mandrakes urpmi]. But if you encounter Xorg/Xfree problems and mounting drives, Ubuntu has no real GUI or easy way to do this, so a regular Fred Flinstone would have to get his hands dirty with a shell, wich he will find very hard.

But after the initial headache and breaking stuff, it is very user friendly :d .

jhands
March 19th, 2005, 07:28 PM
i was a mandrake user too. but the control center had too much stuff in it and my mind would go blank for about 2 secs everytime i opened it. rpm packages were good and they installed themselves on double-clicking them which is a plus point, but at the same time it wont install the package if a dependency wasn't there.

Also it installed a lot of things i would never ever use in my life. they could have included a minimal install mode where only the most basic necessary things were installed. ubuntu does that. it doesnt install crap that you dont need and the management is easy. thats why i like the system menu. however the worst thing according to me in ubuntu is the totem movie player. it doesnt play mpg files, avi files etc etc by default. i just install kaffeine player which i think is the best.

DJ_Max
March 19th, 2005, 07:29 PM
My first Linux os was Mandrake, and their CP was nice. Ubuntu is very user friendly, and has most, of not all of the features of Mandrakes CP Center in seprate apps. Such as Synaptic, HAL, Printer Admin, Mouse, etc..

orion_114
March 19th, 2005, 07:53 PM
The other great thing about Ubuntu is that it is only one Disc where as Mandrake is three. Oh yea and the Ubuntu guys will post you the discs for free which is so awsome !!!!

DJ_Max
March 19th, 2005, 07:58 PM
The other great thing about Ubuntu is that it is only one Disc where as Mandrake is three. Oh yea and the Ubuntu guys will post you the discs for free which is so awsome !!!!
Don't know if thats a good or bad thing, you only need one disc to install Mandrake, the others include softwar you will probably download, same with most other distros.

bored2k
March 19th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Don't know if thats a good or bad thing, you only need one disc to install Mandrake, the others include softwar you will probably download, same with most other distros.
Well they ask you what you install, and no matter how much i left out, there were always stuff that asked me the other discs, and me not having them left me with a crappy system .

DJ_Max
March 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Well they ask you what you install, and no matter how much i left out, there were always stuff that asked me the other discs, and me not having them left me with a crappy system .
Well yeah, thats the catch22 with Mandrake. The others I used don't have that problem(Debian)

jdodson
March 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Hello, everybody,

more info on how to bring multimedia to ubuntu is here: http://www.ubuntuguide.org.

transcode, xine and mplayer are available in the extra repositories in that guide.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 08:47 AM
since wherever I go I'm "the Linux guy" do you think Ubuntu is a good choice for people which never touched anything else than Uncle Bill's and if you tell them "edit this file" they stare at you like you're a three-headed-octopus-like inhabitant of some far distant planet in the darker corner of Andromeda galaxy...? :-P

If you set they system up for them. I don't know a single person like that that could set up an Ubuntu install to the level expected of a desktop....

EDIT: The common feature of the Ubuntu community is excitement concerning its existance....

tnilsson
March 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM
If you set they system up for them. I don't know a single person like that that could set up an Ubuntu install to the level expected of a desktop....
I am also an old Mandrake user. Mandrake is great and Ubuntu is also great!!
I use Ubuntu Hoary on my work laptop and on the desktop my son use at home.
Mandrake 10.1 is running on my multimedia/file server machine at home.

bored2k
March 21st, 2005, 09:47 AM
I try to stay as far from .rpm distro as I can . .deb is just way too powerful for me to ignore it [/deb slaps urpmi wanna-be :-P] . MDK is still good, specially its Control Center. It had an overhaul on the latest version though [last MDK I used was 10.0 4cd] .

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM

If you use the Ubuntu Guide, Ubuntu grows mighty...

capitan.harlock
May 15th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Since my first post (in this very thread), some problem has been solved in Ubuntu: flash now seem to show properly menus (formerly I was able tu see flash menus but there were no words in them! :-) ); java also works, and finally I managed to install transcode and related software like gtranscode etc.
I can say now I can do with Ubuntu all I can do with Mandra... er... Mandriva, but...
I'll still suggest Mandriva to newbies. *And* Ubuntu, but with special warnings, if I can say so.
What must still be done/improved compared with Mandriva as far my experience is (not only "my own" but my experience with people who like Linux and are interested in trying but scared and/or misinformed at the same time (almost all)):
Installer, especially if Ubuntu is going to share the hard disk with Windows;
multimedia: finally i managed to do, but in Mandriva is all made almost automatically (read: there *must* be a PLF for Ubuntu)
java: after all, installation *is* simple, but you *must* literally follow step by step instructions from Ubuntuguide; it seems good but, believe me, it's too much for the majority of computer user; they'll say "why should I worrie so much when in Windows (or even in Mandriva!) things are way more simple...?"

And this one, more specific for user who came from other distros: a "normal root behaviour" option should be put inside installing process.

Anyway, looking how Ubuntu is improved since I first installed it (look back at my first post here \\:D/ ) I really think the goal of reaching Mandriva is not far at all.