PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot Installation Issue (Win7/Win8)

nikRbokR
December 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I am trying to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10. I've done this before without much issue, but this time around I may have made a mistake

My HD has 3 partitions on it: (1)Windows 7, (2)Files, and (3)Free Space. In that 3rd partition, I had Windows 8 Consumer Preview installed. However, since the full version is out, I decided that I wanted to go back to trying Ubuntu. Rather than looking up how to "uninstall" the OS, I just reformatted the partition. I restored the MBR for Windows 7, and deleted the Windows 8 boot option in msconfig. From what I can see in Windows 7, Windows 8 is no longer anywhere on my HD.

However, when I try to install Ubuntu 12.10 from the Live CD, it only gives me the option of installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 8. So that leads me to two questions:
1) How can I fix this? Windows 8 isn't present, and I want it to install alongside Windows 7.
2)Will choosing the "install alongside" option affect the partition in which I keep files?

Isamu715
December 8th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Just use the "Something else" option and assign the partitions manually so you can be sure on which partition you're installing Ubuntu on and what changes are made.

oldfred
December 8th, 2012, 09:28 PM
When you installed Windows 8, your Windows 7 partition was the primary partition with the boot flag. Windows installs all of its boot files to the primary partition with boot flag, so Windows 8 upgraded your boot files in Windows 7. There must be enough difference that Ubuntu can see the difference.

While Vista, still the same.
Multibooters, Pictures here worth 1000+ words
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html