PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Ubuntu 12.x - Computer locks on lid close

schworak
December 8th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I have reverted back to 11.10 because of issues I had with 12.10.

I have a Dell Studio 1550 and Ubuntu has been great all the way up to 11.10 then I started having problems.

With 11.04 and 12.04 if I close the lid the computer locks up. Even though I set the close lid action to DO NOTHING. It doesn't hibernate or suspend it just locks up.

I was ok with that with 12.04 and since the problem got fixed in 11.10 after upgrading from 11.04 I thought I would upgrade to 12.10. Well that was a disaster!

No video driver!!!! I was locked down to 1024x768 screen size with 4:3 screen resolution on my wide screen. It looks like crap!

Why do the drivers not work when they worked fine in 12.04?

Since I couldn't revert back without a full reinstall, I decided to simply restore from a hard drive image I had of 11.10 to make my life easier.

If I could get 12.04 installed without the lid lockup issue, that would be a perfect solution so if anyone can help me with that issue I would really appreciate it.

Any other advice would be great too.

2F4U
December 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
It is probably too late to ask this question since you went back to 11.10, but did you look into the log files if errors were logged before the lock-up?
What are your hardware specs? From what you write I am guessing that you have been using proprietary graphics drivers from either ATI or nVidia?