PDA

View Full Version : Not as easy as it seems.....

kob0724
July 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM
For a few years now, I've heard about how great Linux is. My tech teacher raved about it, and fellow students/coworkers swear by it while condemning windows. A year or so ago I decided to see for myself what all the hnotubub was about. Unfortunately I the distro I tried to install (slackware) was apparently not for beginners. Suffice to say, it left a sour taste in my mouth

Recently I got a hold of some old Mac G4's and decided to give Linux a try again. This time I was going to use the "easiest" distro out there, ubuntu. Turns out it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

I will admit, the first set of problems were probably due to user error. When I was burning the .iso disc I guess I burned it too fast. After making a few new coasters, I finally figured out I needed to burn them at x4 times. This is despite the fact I've burned over 40 DVD's with my particular burner not to mention countless CDs at the highest speed recommended for the particular disc. But I guess you need to really baby boot/installation discs.

But the problems didn't end there. For some reason GNOME would just not work. When ever I logged in GNOME would give me this error

There was and error starting the Gnome settings daemon
Some things such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly. The settings daemon restarted too many times.
The last error message was System exception:IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE: 1.0
GNOME will try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in

This happened with both the live CD and the strait installation CD. I had no idea what was going on. Finally, after spending 2 days in and out of IRC channels a guy helped me figure out that my system clock was set wrong. Yes, the date on my computer was set wrong and that screwed up my whole GUI.

I hear all these things about how Linux is supposed to be an extremely robust operating system and they have Linux servers that have been running for 6+ years without having to be shut down. Yet, on my system, a screwed up date was enough to bring my GUI to a grinding halt. Call me crazy, but my experience really hasn't demonstrated the "robustness" of Linux.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea behind linux. And I think ubuntu's idea of making linux easy to use for everyone is great too. But for pete's sake, do you think we could make so that a simple time and date setting doesn't screw the whole thing up?

Note: I hope I posted this in the right section. I just wanted to hear some discussion about this, thats all.

aysiu
July 5th, 2006, 02:50 AM
I'm sorry that's been your experience, but it sounds as if it's not too much a stretch of your imagination to realize that if everyone got that error message then your tech teacher, fellow students/co-workers wouldn't be raving about anything.

In fact, when I did a Google search on that error (http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&q=%22Some+things+such+as+themes%2C+sounds%2C+or+ba ckground+settings+may+not+work+correctly.+The+sett ings+daemon+restarted+too+many+times.+%22&btnG=Search), only 27 unique results came up.

I'd say the next time you get the Linux bug, have one of your raving friends/co-workers walk you through the installation process--burning the CD, booting it, picking out compatible hardware... etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I really hope you have it better next time. I can honestly say if I ran into the roadblocks you did, I would not be using Ubuntu right now.

kob0724
July 5th, 2006, 03:03 AM
I'd say the next time you get the Linux bug, have one of your raving friends/co-workers walk you through the installation process--burning the CD, booting it, picking out compatible hardware... etc.

Thats the thing though. Its not like I don't know what I'm doing. I've burned various .iso's plenty of times before (something the average computer user probably doesn't know how to do), I knew where to go for help (I don't think to many aim users know what mIRC is), and I've even built my own computer. If I didn't have the knowledge that I did (if I were and average user) I would've completely given up.

I just don't understand why I run into so many techies claiming linux is sooo much better than windows. I think they both have their good points and their bad points.

Btw, I found the same thing when googling the error. Thats one of the things that really had me peeved. The fact that I couldn't find any solution.

MetalMusicAddict
July 5th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Thats one of the things that really had me peeved. The fact that I couldn't find any solution.
Sometimes thats just the way it is. Sux. Hardware support from manufacturers is a big stumbling block. So people have to figure out hardware they didnt make and make it work. Dont get discouraged though. Linux is great depending on your needs. What are they?

aysiu
July 5th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Sorry. I hope I didn't come off as condescending. The truth is you probably know more about computers than I do--probably a lot more, which is why it surprises me that you ran into so much difficulty.

The way I've seen things... Linux the kernel is solid as rock, but sometimes the GUI on top of that (Gnome, KDE, whatever) is not so stable.

nalmeth
July 5th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Ubuntu isn't the easiest linux out there. It is the easiest FREE linux, in my opinion.

Also, Ubuntu's performance doesn't neccessarily reflect the overall robustness of linux.

Perhaps a PClinuxOS or a Mepis may be better suited for you (heh, yeah, slackware probably wasn't the best place to start).

An OS is a complicated thing, and will never be perfect. Especially one that is being developed as an OS replacement for people with little to no experience with computers.

Hopefully this small issue doesn't discourage you from pursuing linux any further.

Sorry about your initial mishap, and good luck with your further experimentation!

kob0724
July 5th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Linux is great depending on your needs. What are they?
In this case, it was getting a free operating system without using.......alternative methods *cough easily disabled wga cough*. I'm going to be bringing this Mac to my friends house to do some music recording. Unfortunently we will not be using linux. My friend is very familar with Garage band, so we have to go with a Mac OS.

One of the reasons it took me so long to try Linux again is the fact that I really haven't had that much of a need for it. I like to do what most 17 year olds like to do: play video games, surf the web, chat. Sure occasionally I'll bust out my C++ compiler or write a webpage from scratch (that is doing the whole project completly in html and not using an editor).

The way I've seen things... Linux the kernel is solid as rock, but sometimes the GUI on top of that (Gnome, KDE, whatever) is not so stable.
I'll definitely agree with that. Ultimately, the root problem I was encountering was due to GNOME.

vayu
July 5th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Note: I hope I posted this in the right section. I just wanted to hear some discussion about this, thats all.

That is a crazy error for not having your date set right. It seems like that's a Gnome issue more than an Ubuntu one. Either way it can certainly be frustrating. I started not quite a year ago and have had many frustrations. I love it though. I have also had as many frustrations in Windows and with any particular software package I've used (Windows and otherwise). Computers can be frustrating, but I like the challenge and enjoy learning about them. What there is to know is immense, and the more I learn the more awe I have for those that put them together.

kob0724
July 5th, 2006, 03:43 AM
The guy who ultimately helped me solve the problem said it was pretty crazy too. He also had some Mac G4's and amazingly he'd had the same problem. He'd said every now and then (specifially when he suddely shut the mac down) the date would be reset to Steve Jobs birthday (egotistical maniac if you ask me). So it really is part Macs fault. He also indicated the reason the time and date cause GNOME to do this probably has something to do with the UNIX timestamping (whatever that is).

I too agree that learning to solve to problems is half the fun of computers. My main beef is with the people who go around toting that linux is worlds above windows. I love learning new things about them. I currently have my A+ hardware certification (which i know doesn't mean much) and I'm taking my CCNA test very shortly.

nalmeth
July 5th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Ubuntu-Studio (http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Welcome%2C_Musicians%21) is great, should you consider trying Ubuntu for recording

prizrak
July 5th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Well installing Linux on a Mac is bound to run into problems it's not widely available hardware especially the G4. Hardware tends to be the biggest problem when it comes to Linux issues. All my hardware was picked up on install so I had no problem just jumping into it. I even got LTSP running on my desktop (that gave me some headache due to user(me) being a retard) it wasn't all that difficult though did require more knowledge than J6P would have (not that a J6P would set up his own LTSP server). I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't judge it based on one experience, especially one on a Mac, many people run Ubuntu and Linux even in professional environments and it works for them very well. I'd assume that getting support for Mac would be fairly difficult for you as there is a fairly limited number of users who would put Linux on one.