PDA

View Full Version : 5 Distro's in a Week

cbennett926
December 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I distro-hopped this week, I made sure to try at least one distro a day, I ended using Arch, Fedora, and Linux Mint.

Arch -

Most time consuming to set up and actually the reason I didn't get through 5 distro's.
It felt really nice after getting it set up though, you really feel like it's yours if that makes sense. I didn't feel too down and bad about the lack of flashy things because it was difficult to get it set up. More like challenging, not really difficult but a challenge so it was more worth while.

I highly recommend this to someone who's between the gap of intermediate Linux user and expert, it presents a great challenge for someone who feels stuck in the learning process.

Linux Mint -

And now to get to the other side of the spectrum, Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu so it had the same feel too it, albeit pre 11.10, and it was refreshing (pun intended) to have the menu bar not engulf the entire desktop compared to Unity/Gnome 3.6 (I do know you can use classic, but I am going defaults here). I would have to crituqe the scheme of the Software Manager Linux Mint uses, they have the ratings overlaying the stars so it poses some redundancy. On the same term of redundancy Mint and Fedora have something in common, but I will save that for Fedora. Mint is a very quick and responsive DE and I highly recommend it to someone with a slower machine, or perhaps someone looking for something more efficient and to what they are used to. Overall great distro and I highly recommend it to users of all degrees.

Fedora -

A Red Hat breakoff, Fedora is a wonderful DE for someone who really wants to get the most out of Gnome. Fedora runs on the latest release of Gnome and it is nice and quick. I actually found it more responsive than Unity on my system. I would say however it is much more difficult to get additional drivers, codecs, and such as they do not come preloaded on Fedora, and you have to hunt them down as well as their packages. I also dislike their menu's lack of "pinning" things to the left hand side as easily. As for the redundancy I mentioned in the Mint review, when running a browser, or any menu for that matter, the title of the window is listed three times, once in the tab for the window, the header for the window, and lastly in the panel's name for the application

Demonstration being:

Firefox in Panel: "Ubuntu Forums - Post New Thread"

Firefox Window Title: "Ubuntu Forums - Post New Thread"

Tab Title: "Ubuntu Forums - Post New Thread"

I personally think they can do without the window header and it would flow much better.

I ended up coming back to Ubuntu and felt at home, this may be because I didn't force myself to marry the other distro's but I just perfer the desktop space Unity and Ubuntu have to offer, all while haveing the applets in the panel. I can also crituque Ubuntu on a few things:

Speed - Ubuntu has a history of running sluggish compared to other Distro's (due to Unity) but it is definitely getting faster and we have a lot of time to grow

Crashing - One thing I did notice on other distro's is the lack of crashes, this might be because I am on 12.10 but I noticed many crashes on 12.04 as well.

Configurability - I had to make a word up for this one, but the amount of things you can configure in the other distro's is greatly different. Arch is a ground up configuration so that self explanatory. Linux Mint you can configure how EVERYTHING looks. Lastly during installation of Fedora I really felt in control of how everything was being set up.

I really love how open the Linux community is and I hope I didn't write this whole article? Blog? Whatever it is, in vain and someone found this useful! ):P

All the best,

Cody Bennett

weasel fierce
December 8th, 2012, 11:52 PM
For one, I appreciate it :)

Are you going to keep checking out random distros ?

haqking
December 9th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Mint is a very quick and responsive DE

Fedora -

A Red Hat breakoff, Fedora is a wonderful DE for someone who really wants to get the most out of Gnome.

Configurability - I had to make a word up for this one, but the amount of things you can configure in the other distro's is greatly different. Arch is a ground up configuration so that self explanatory. Linux Mint you can configure how EVERYTHING looks. Lastly during installation of Fedora I really felt in control of how everything was being set up.

To clarify for others who may read this who are new to Linux. You have confused a Distro with a DE, with the exception of Unity which is a shell which sits on top of Gnome, you can install any DE you like into any of the distros and have multiple ones to log in with if you so choose and depending on the DE will depend how much you can alter the appearance (LOOKS).

Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, Slackware, any other distro you choose can LOOK the same and it will be down to the DE.

LillyDragon
December 9th, 2012, 12:11 AM
^ Lots of truth there. Fedora once looked almost like Ubuntu since it had Gnome 2 as a DE. (I would have kept my install of Fedora, personally, it was nice, but there are more DEBs than RPMs out there, so I had more trouble getting all my favorite software installed and running. Might be different now though, that was four years back. =P)

MadmanRB
December 9th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I say try openSUSE out next, its both rock solid and asctually has a lot of packages in it as of 12.2

cbennett926
December 9th, 2012, 12:57 AM
To clarify for others who may read this who are new to Linux. You have confused a Distro with a DE, with the exception of Unity which is a shell which sits on top of Gnome, you can install any DE you like into any of the distros and have multiple ones to log in with if you so choose and depending on the DE will depend how much you can alter the appearance (LOOKS).

Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, Slackware, any other distro you choose can LOOK the same and it will be down to the DE.

Oh my! I meant to say Gnome is a great DE because Fedora is running it the most pure out of the other distro's! Sorry about that!

cbennett926
December 9th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I say try openSUSE out next, its both rock solid and asctually has a lot of packages in it as of 12.2

Keep em coming! I am waiting on my flash drive to come cause I am all out of DVD's, so until I get that I am open to suggestions on distro's!

Uncle Spellbinder
December 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I love both of these...

* Fuduntu (http://www.fuduntu.org/)
* SolusOS (http://solusos.com/)

cbennett926
December 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Alright guys right now I have:

Funduntu
SolusOS
Slackware
openSUSE

deadflowr
December 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the crazy world of distro hopping. where you might spend more time downloading and installing an OS than using it.
I'm not going to recommend any, as there are so many out there.
I will say, though, that when you find one or two(or three) that you like, try running 'em for a week or two(or three or four).

LiamOS
December 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Give Bodhi Linux a spin sometime. :)

Also, if you liked Arch, definitely give Gentoo a go. It'll probably take more time to set up, but it's a real winner if you can get your head around what's going on.

ofnuts
December 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I say try openSUSE out next, its both rock solid and asctually has a lot of packages in it as of 12.2I have used servers with OpenSuse and they have some fairly back-level things (like the GNU utilities...).

DZ*
December 10th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Fedora -

A Red Hat breakoff, Fedora is a wonderful DE for someone who really wants to get the most out of Gnome. Fedora runs on the latest release of Gnome and it is nice and quick. I actually found it more responsive than Unity on my system. I would say however it is much more difficult to get additional drivers, codecs, and such as they do not come preloaded on Fedora, and you have to hunt them down as well as their packages.

Have you tried adding repos from here? --
http://rpmfusion.org/

BrokenKingpin
December 10th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I have used servers with OpenSuse and they have some fairly back-level things (like the GNU utilities...).
Um... what? All distros have GNU utilities in the repos.

ofnuts
December 11th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Um... what? All distros have GNU utilities in the repos.Of course, but not all at the same level. The Gnu coreutils on my Ubuntu 10.04 have a 2009 copyright, and those on the OpenSuse server at work bear a 2005 copyright (and these systems are fairly recent installs, planned to last a few years, so I doubt these used a very back-level version...).