PDA

View Full Version : Kernel + initrd (mkinitrd problem?)

d0nk
March 19th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I compile my kernels manually, and always have, and i don't use make-kpkg to do it. For some reason, after installing Hoary Preview, I cant make an initrd.

mkinitrd doesn't give any errors, or anything, it just doesnt make an initrd.img. Here is the command args i use:

root@ubuntu:/boot # mkinitrd -o ./initrd.img-2.6.11 2.6.11

Everything seems to go fine, no errors, but the initrd.img is not made. I've made initrd images this way for years, and i dont see why its not working for me now.

d0nk
March 20th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I compile my kernels manually, and always have, and i don't use make-kpkg to do it. For some reason, after installing Hoary Preview, I cant make an initrd.

mkinitrd doesn't give any errors, or anything, it just doesnt make an initrd.img. Here is the command args i use:

Everything seems to go fine, no errors, but the initrd.img is not made. I've made initrd images this way for years, and i dont see why its not working for me now.
Hm, well, it seems that i dont need an initrd to boot my kernel. Maybe its because 99.9% of everything is compiled in :p

az
March 20th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Is /etc/mkinitrd setup properly?

What about the -k option. Is anything left there afterwards if you is it?

wmaddler
April 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM

use the -k option to keep files and the manually launch: mkcramfs /<tmp_data_dir> /boot/initrd_image

that's what mkinitrd was supposed to do...

hope it helps...